[SOLVED] I need Graphics Card upgrade advices!

Aug 27, 2020
Hi everyone,

could you please kindly help me find a graphics card that suit my spec?

I'm using:
i5 7600K @3.80GHz
GTX 970
16.0GB RAM
ASUS PRIME Z270-A

I plan only playing 2k at max settings.

Thank you!

Solution
If you want to be able to play 2k (WQHD) with highest possible settings you need at least a RTX2070Super or RTX2080. this will give you 60+fps on 95% games on Ultra/Highest settings. A lot of games will hit over 100fps. But, I know of a few games that did not let me hit 60fps on Ultra/highest settings with a overclocked RTX2080, for example Kingdom Come: Deliverance and Red Dead Redemption 2, AC:Odyssey (had do lower 1 or 2 settings to be consistent over 60fps).

Even so I notice recently Kingdom Come runs much better than a year ago. Its much easier to be consistent in the 70s fps most of the time.

Also, if you plan to play with Raytracing, this also changes....I could only get highest settings 60+fps in Metro Exodus with Raytracing...

Turtle Rig

Prominent
BANNED
Jun 23, 2020
What resolution do you play at and what FPS do you want and what game settings do you plan on using. Also do you plan to use AA methods to get rid of jaggies? Every video card model is for a specific purpose so until you answer those questions along with is your monitor a gaming monitor then we can help you get the best video card for the best price for your situation. Also tell us what games you play as well. 💯🤷‍♀️🙉👨🏽‍🦲

Aug 27, 2020
Hi Turtle, thanks for the details. To answer the questions:

1. I want to play at 1080p for now with high to ultra settings. In the future, I might buy a better monitor with 1440p if the PC can handle it.
  2. AA is not a must
  3. my monitor is 1080p once with 144hz
  4. Games I play are action games like Witcher, Souls-like games, MOBA - no shooters game. :p

mjbn1977

Distinguished
If you want to be able to play 2k (WQHD) with highest possible settings you need at least a RTX2070Super or RTX2080. this will give you 60+fps on 95% games on Ultra/Highest settings. A lot of games will hit over 100fps. But, I know of a few games that did not let me hit 60fps on Ultra/highest settings with a overclocked RTX2080, for example Kingdom Come: Deliverance and Red Dead Redemption 2, AC:Odyssey (had do lower 1 or 2 settings to be consistent over 60fps).

Even so I notice recently Kingdom Come runs much better than a year ago. Its much easier to be consistent in the 70s fps most of the time.

Also, if you plan to play with Raytracing, this also changes....I could only get highest settings 60+fps in Metro Exodus with Raytracing on the lower RT setting. But I don't know if you include raytracing into your highest settings requirement. Technically, its part of highest settings.....

Oh, and since you mentioned Witcher 3, this runs with about 100fps on everything on highest setting in 2k with a RTX2080. But don't forget, this game is from 2015, when the GTX980Ti was the fastest card available...

Last edited:
Solution