I need HDD expertise, please

hansolo77

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2005
Hi! This is my second post here, but I've been reading the guides for what seems like forever.

I zapped my drive on accident by plugging in the drive while the cpu was on.

Now the drive doesn't spin and isn't recognized in BIOS. I have a hunch I fried the controller board. And I am really not wanting to send it out for recovery.

Can I replace the controller board???

Any and all help is very much appreciated!

G

What do you mean by controller board?
Is it an integrated IDE controller, or a PCI IDE controller?
I assume tis onboard so you can try the other IDE plug, each plug is on a seperate controller, I had one dead IDE controller once and the other worked just fine.

Re-reading I understand you're talking about the pcb under the HD(probly called controller board oops.., check the IDe anywayz that can fry too).

As for cahnging it, since its fairly easy to remove it and put it back I think you could try to: Hunt the exact same HD on ebay/classified etc, or simply call the manufacturer...

Good luck

With SATA-IO you can Hot swap!WOoot

Asus P4P800DX, P4C 2.6ghz@3.25ghz, 2X512 OCZ PC4000 3-4-4-8, MSI 6800Ultra stock, 2X30gig Raid0

hansolo77

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2005
Thanks for the advice....yeah it's the pcb on the drive's bottom. Hoping it'll work if I replace it.....Thanks again!

RichPLS

Champion
If it is not under warranty, then yes, I have heard people say they successfully replaced HD board, but imagine it takes some skill.

<pre><font color=red>°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°`°¤o \\// o¤°`°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°
And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" Huh
So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>

RichPLS

Champion
<A HREF="http://techrepublic.com.com/5100-6255-5029761-1.html" target="_new"> Some tips to retrieving data from bad drive </A>

<pre><font color=red>°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°`°¤o \\// o¤°`°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°
And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" Huh
So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>

G

Acutally removed it on one of my maxtor drive, on of the pin was broken, so I removed the PCB, it was simple, 2 screw old it in place and then it connect with like 6-8 pin to the actual HD...I guess its not always like that.

Anyhow I manage to push the Pin so it would make contact with the pin in the IDE connector...bootleg but it works!!

Asus P4P800DX, P4C 2.6ghz@3.25ghz, 2X512 OCZ PC4000 3-4-4-8, MSI 6800Ultra stock, 2X30gig Raid0