Build Advice I need help building a new PC ready for RTX 4090 ?

Aug 24, 2022
As the title suggests, I really need guidance about compatible components to make sure things are not bottlenecked.

I mainly play FPS and strategy games so I need both a powerful GPU for graphical fidelity and a CPU for large crowd AI and so on. Ultimately, I want my machine to handle future Unreal Engine 5 titles more easily. Thanks in advance, guys.

I am looking at:

CPU:
AMD Ryzen 9 5950X

GPU: RTX 4090 (I actually prefer 4080 but it may come out after 4090)

RAM: 32 gb (Which brand and what bus is good? Please suggest a compatible component).

Motherboard: I have no idea. Please suggest a good one.

SSD: Looking at 2TB. Please suggest a good one.

PSU: Please suggest a good one.

Case: Please suggest a good one for airflow.

Liquid cooler: Please suggest a good one.

Please advise

Why the 5950X? The Ryzen 7000 series is pretty much right around the corner and the platform should provide everything the next generation and thensome of video cards as well to fully utilize them.

Also we'll need a budget and country where you're from so we can figure out what's available.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
4090: Unless you want to rely on rumors, no one knows anything about this. Wait for when the product is actually out; people will actually know what's up by then, including the power supply shenanigans.

Core-i 13th(October) and Ryzen 7000(September) are around the corner, as already mentioned.

Fps and strategy are cpu bound. Gpu is kinda chilling about on those. So unless the target is 4K with RT enabled, a 4090 might be waiting around a lot.
I think Ashes of the Singularity: Escalation is still the only game out there that could even use that many(5950X) cores. 4-6 cores by game engines is still the most common at the moment..?

Motherboards should be based on your needs, which others won't know unless you tell them; 'suggest a good one' will result in over-spending on a board with features you'll never use, a board missing/lacking something you later realized you needed, or under-spending on a board that's missing features and may be prone to power throttling under specific conditions.
-Some want a lot of usb ports, some don't.
-Some need WiFi, some don't.
-Bluetooth.
-Dual bios.
-etc.

500GB SSD for OS only drive + 2TB SSD. Less of a hassle when the OS is on its own drive.

Case is a personal thing... you should pick some you like first, then others could help you pick from there.

Some new and interesting stuff is coming up soon. I'd suggest putting the brakes on, except for the case and the storage. That you can keep looking at.

Aug 24, 2022
Why the 5950X? The Ryzen 7000 series is pretty much right around the corner and the platform should provide everything the next generation and thensome of video cards as well to fully utilize them.

Also we'll need a budget and country where you're from so we can figure out what's available.

Thanks for the info about cpu. I will be waiting for the new models. Generally, i have heard many bad things about Intel.

For budget, there is no limitation for gpu and cpu for gaming. However, i would like to save money as much as possible on the rest of the components. I dont want to go too crazy on the spending. I also live in South East Asia. Supply is not really a problem here.

Aug 24, 2022
4090: Unless you want to rely on rumors, no one knows anything about this. Wait for when the product is actually out; people will actually know what's up by then, including the power supply shenanigans.

Core-i 13th(October) and Ryzen 7000(September) are around the corner, as already mentioned.

Fps and strategy are cpu bound. Gpu is kinda chilling about on those. So unless the target is 4K with RT enabled, a 4090 might be waiting around a lot.
I think Ashes of the Singularity: Escalation is still the only game out there that could even use that many(5950X) cores. 4-6 cores by game engines is still the most common at the moment..?

Motherboards should be based on your needs, which others won't know unless you tell them; 'suggest a good one' will result in over-spending on a board with features you'll never use, a board missing/lacking something you later realized you needed, or under-spending on a board that's missing features and may be prone to power throttling under specific conditions.
-Some want a lot of usb ports, some don't.
-Some need WiFi, some don't.
-Bluetooth.
-Dual bios.
-etc.

500GB SSD for OS only drive + 2TB SSD. Less of a hassle when the OS is on its own drive.

Case is a personal thing... you should pick some you like first, then others could help you pick from there.

Some new and interesting stuff is coming up soon. I'd suggest putting the brakes on, except for the case and the storage. That you can keep looking at.
Thanks for the info. I will wait for the new cpu. I actually want to buy 4080 more because I suspect the 4090 will be more expensive but doesnt offer a leap in fps, similar to 3090 vs 3080 situation. I am not gonna be gaming at 4k and I want the ray tracing and high fps at max settings in general.

For motherboard, I dont want to extra fancy stuff like bluetooth or wifi. Just a bare minimum that can house all of the necessary components.

For SSD, thanks for the advice.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
For motherboard, I dont want to extra fancy stuff like bluetooth or wifi. Just a bare minimum that can house all of the necessary components.
Exactly. And not knowing the abilities of the cpu, there's no telling which mid-range will actually be decent. Case in point, Msi dominated the B450, Asus kinda came in last, for the X570 that was turned around. But won't find that out, nor demands of the cpus for ram or VRM's until the cpus drop. It'll be November/December until ppl start really getting time to do more in-depth reviews etc.

With leaks and supposed power issues and transient spikes, a 4090 is looking to need a 1200w-1600w psu.

Only thing you can actually count on right now is you'll need DDR5.

Aug 24, 2022
Exactly. And not knowing the abilities of the cpu, there's no telling which mid-range will actually be decent. Case in point, Msi dominated the B450, Asus kinda came in last, for the X570 that was turned around. But won't find that out, nor demands of the cpus for ram or VRM's until the cpus drop. It'll be November/December until ppl start really getting time to do more in-depth reviews etc.

With leaks and supposed power issues and transient spikes, a 4090 is looking to need a 1200w-1600w psu.

Only thing you can actually count on right now is you'll need DDR5.
Thanks for the advice

Aug 24, 2022

Looks like Nvidia and intel are receiving some backlash. I guess we can wait to see if AMD's new CPUs and GPUs are offering a competitive edge in terms of price and performance