Question I need help choosing a board for socket 1700 ?

gkko

Distinguished
May 28, 2013
Hey All, I need a mobo recommendation based on the following details:
Hardwares I am planning to use on it :
i5 13600k
rtx 3060ti
ddr4 3000 mhz ram
1x m2 ssd (samsung 980)
2x sata 3 ssd
1x HDD

Lightnings fancy things doesn't matter I am using a full covered noise-suppressed case.
Sound codec doesn't matter because I am using an USB headset only
I do not want to overclock the CPU

The point would be to use DDR 4, to avoid the extra pricetag for a board that is DDR5, and to avoid buying new RAM-s. So as long as it does not overheat in the sun, and capable to serve the above mentioned hardwares perfectly (no overclock), not the cheapest, not the most expensive it would be ok. One brand I do not want is Gigabyte.

Thanks

gkko

Distinguished
May 28, 2013
A B760 DDR4 board with decent VRM's should suffice.

Any of the boards in that link down below will work fine with the exception of the Asus Prime, Asrock Pro RS, and the Gigabyte DS3H.

https://www.newegg.com/p/pl?N=100007627 601411080 601361681 601361694

Thanks the help.
Can you tell me why those specifically got out of the bucket?

There is one board which is around 220$ in my country Asus TUF Gaming z690 this is a dd5 one, but if I check your list it is like the same price range. I thought I could save some money staying on ddr4 get a board around 150$ and keep my current rams. But if the board is around the same price then it is whatever.

Thanks the help.
Can you tell me why those specifically got out of the bucket?

There is one board which is around 220$ in my country Asus TUF Gaming z690 this is a dd5 one, but if I check your list it is like the same price range. I thought I could save some money staying on ddr4 get a board around 150$ and keep my current rams. But if the board is around the same price then it is whatever.
Those three boards have weak VRM's. What country are you located?

gkko

Distinguished
May 28, 2013
Those three boards have weak VRM's. What country are you located?

Central Europe.
The list of what is available here out of the b760 batch:
AsRock b760M-HDV/M.2 D4
MSI PRO B760M-E
MSI PRO B760M-P
and those that you have already excluded + a few Gigabyte which I do not prefer. Since these are even cheaper I guess their VRM are just as bad.

If the other chipsets B660 or the H-s are not good enough then the price difference is minimal betwen the above mentioned ddr5 Asus TUF Gaming z690.

Reactions: Why_Me
Central Europe.
The list of what is available here out of the b760 batch:
AsRock b760M-HDV/M.2 D4
MSI PRO B760M-E
MSI PRO B760M-P
and those that you have already excluded + a few Gigabyte which I do not prefer. Since these are even cheaper I guess their VRM are just as bad.

If the other chipsets B660 or the H-s are not good enough then the price difference is minimal betwen the above mentioned ddr5 Asus TUF Gaming z690.
I've been to Europe several times including Belarus, Poland, Ukraine, etc .. and what I learned is every country has it's own VAT, venders, prices, etc ... if you let me know what country I might be able to find you a better deal.

gkko

Distinguished
May 28, 2013
I've been to Europe several times including Belarus, Poland, Ukraine, etc .. and what I learned is every country has it's own VAT, venders, prices, etc ... if you let me know what country I might be able to find you a better deal.
It is Hungary, but I will only use the in-country shops only, I do not like spending 30$+ to RMA to other countries if something happens.

gkko

Distinguished
May 28, 2013

Yes but take a look at this one. Price difference is like 25$ the only downside that I have to buy a new set of ddr5 ram.
Do you think this asus is good enough? Does it have any flaw like those bad VRM ones?

Do not exclude the b660/Z690 based motherboards because of fear of not running a 13th gen processor.
Many will include a bios flashback button that will update the bios without a cpu installed.
I use a MSI Z690-A pro wifi ddr4 which has such flash capability.
It works, I tried it. Scary, though, the only communication is via flashing motherboard lights.

Next, the bios updated required for 13th gen operation were released way back, like last summer.
All motherboards manufactured after that will include the needed bios.

i live next to you in slovakia :
this is probably your best option:
reputable vendor and good motherboard below 200 euro (187 at current exchange rate) :
https://www.alza.hu/asus-tuf-gaming-b760m-plus-d4-d7598449.htm

(if we exclude gigabyte) b660/b690 motherboards available in this price range (or below) unfortunately don´t have Q-flash button for easy bios update :
that being said if you want the best bargain for the lowest price this board is unbeatable: https://www.alza.hu/msi-pro-b660m-a-ddr4-d6943235.htm
most b660 motherboards have power limits set very low and you have to adjust them in bios and they also have weaker VRM .
this motherboard can run unrestricted i9 12900K with no issue (full power at stock clock speeds , no thermal throttling) ,
there is no motherboard with better VRM and power limit settings (out of the box) in this price range .
you can grab one from alza and if it comes with old bios you can return it / exchange it in 14 days even without any reason / explanation .
they have 14 days "void a contract" policy .

Last edited:
i live next to you in slovakia :
this is probably your best option:
reputable vendor and good motherboard below 200 euro (187 at current exchange rate) :
https://www.alza.hu/asus-tuf-gaming-b760m-plus-d4-d7598449.htm

(if we exclude gigabyte) b660/b690 motherboards available in this price range (or below) unfortunately don´t have Q-flash button for easy bios update :
that being said if you want the best bargain for the lowest price this board is unbeatable: https://www.alza.hu/msi-pro-b660m-a-ddr4-d6943235.htm
most b660 motherboards have power limits set very low and you have to adjust them in bios and they also have weaker VRM .
this motherboard can run unrestricted i9 12900K with no issue (full power at stock clock speeds , no thermal throttling) ,
there is no motherboard with better VRM and power limit settings (out of the box) in this price range .
you can grab one from alza and if it comes with old bios you can return it / exchange it in 14 days even without any reason / explanation .
they have 14 days "void a contract" policy .
€186

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/PRO-B760-P-WIFI-DDR4

€186

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/PRO-B760-P-WIFI-DDR4

186 at unknown vendors - alza is a reputable well known retailer in middle europe with good RMA process
(they operate in czech republic , slovakia , hungary , austria) - kinda like newegg in the US .
also it´s not a better motherboard per say , they are equally good the only difference being basically the form factor and wifi .

186 at unknown vendors - alza is a reputable well known retailer in middle europe with good RMA process
(they operate in czech republic , slovakia , hungary , austria) - kinda like newegg in the US .
also it´s not a better motherboard per say , they are equally good the only difference being basically the form factor and wifi .
The other difference would be the B760 boards come with the latest bios for 13 gen.

gkko

Distinguished
May 28, 2013
As I said before, these boards which have a sufficient VRM etc have a price tag of 185€ . Wouldn't it be better just swallow the frog and buy a ddr5 asus tuf z690 for 205€ ? Then see if it has the latest BIOS for 13th gen? If it is not try another or ultimately try to flash it myself?

I don't know what are the cons having an mATX instead of an ATX, obviously less space, but like heating or something else I have no idea.
I have a cpu cooler with a Noctua fan installed instead of the default one, I believe it should be ok for 13600k

As I said before, these boards which have a sufficient VRM etc have a price tag of 185€ . Wouldn't it be better just swallow the frog and buy a ddr5 asus tuf z690 for 205€ ? Then see if it has the latest BIOS for 13th gen? If it is not try another or ultimately try to flash it myself?

I don't know what are the cons having an mATX instead of an ATX, obviously less space, but like heating or something else I have no idea.
I have a cpu cooler with a Noctua fan installed instead of the default one, I believe it should be ok for 13600k
That Asus board doesn't have bios flashback so if it doesn't come with the latest bios for 13 gen cpu's you are out of luck. Not only that but the Z690 boards have an inferior DDR5 memory controller vs their Z790 counterparts.
Memory: 4 x DIMM, Max. 128GB, DDR5 6000(OC)/ 5800(OC)/ 5600(OC)/ 5400(OC)/ 5200(OC)/ 5000(OC)/ 4800 Non-ECC, Un-buffered Memory*

Memory: 4 x DIMM, Max. 128GB, DDR5 7200(OC)/7000(OC)/6800(OC)/6600(OC)/6400(OC)/ 6200(OC)/ 6000(OC)/ 5800(OC)/ 5600/ 5400/ 5200/ 5000/ 4800 Non-ECC, Un-buffered Memory*