[SOLVED] I need help choosing a GPU for 3d rendering with Ryzen 9 3950x

Mar 22, 2021
I'm currently building a pc for my 3d render work, and I noticed from my task manager that my pc uses almost 0% GPU compared to 100% CPU while rendering.
So I'm going to buy the Ryzen 9 3950x 16cores 32 threads
and I need a GPU that is not too powerful since I don't need it that much and I don't want to pay a lot for something that will be useless to me, but I'm afraid of bottlenecking.

Can someone recommend a not too powerful GPU that will pair well with this processor without causing performance issues.

Solution
mine right now is a 5-year-old Nvidia GTX 950 2GB, will it be ok with the new build I'm making?
and if I will buy in the future after the prices are better, what should I buy?
It is kind of hard to determine the GPU you need for the tasks you do without spending more than necessary.
If you are working on small scenes, then a low end GPU could handle it.
But if you are planning on working with complex scenes, you should consider a RTX 3060 as a starting point.

Keep the GTX 950 for now.
If you are or will be working with complex scenes, then when GPUs become available at or close to MSRP, get the best Nvidia RTX 3000 series GPU you could afford.
V-RAY (RT) and 3D Max scale very well on fast GPUs.
What's your budget?
Which 3D rendering engine?
So, if you are just performing rendering through CPU, then it does not matter which GPU you get.
You should not be concerned with GPU bottlenecking, since your rendering engine does not supports it or does not use the GPU for rendering.
As you might have notice GPU prices have skyrocketed and you might end up paying twice the retail price, even for low end GPUs.

It could be that the rendering engine does not support your current GPU... since a single GPU renderer can outperform several CPUs (processors count).

Mar 22, 2021
Thank you for replying,
I'm using Vray to render my work on 3d max
I'm hoping I don't go over 400$ but I can push to 550$ if it's a must.

How do I know if my renderer is performing through CPU or GPU?

For V-Ray Next (Adv), the CPU is used for rendering, so any low end GPU will do.
For V-Ray Next GPU (RT) the GPU is the most important factor for rendering speed. The faster the GPU the faster the performance and speed.
CUDA mode should be used for NVIDIA cards.

Right now is not a good time to buy a GPU, unless you happen to find one close to MSRP.
I would advise you, if you can, to keep using whatever GPU you have until you could get a decent GPU.

Mar 22, 2021
mine right now is a 5-year-old Nvidia GTX 950 2GB, will it be ok with the new build I'm making?

It is kind of hard to determine the GPU you need for the tasks you do without spending more than necessary.
But if you are planning on working with complex scenes, you should consider a RTX 3060 as a starting point.

If you are or will be working with complex scenes, then when GPUs become available at or close to MSRP, get the best Nvidia RTX 3000 series GPU you could afford.

Reactions: helper800
Solution
Mar 22, 2021

ok I'm going to keep it for now and buy an RTX 3060 when it's affordable
Thank you so much for the help

Reactions: helper800

TRENDING THREADS