[SOLVED] I need help choosing specs and things for my pc im planning on building

Jan 1, 2021
Hi I have pretty much no idea on building PCs. But i want to be able to play higher end games and VR and have absolutely no clue on where to start. I am only midway through saving so it won't be for another couple months but I'd like some tips and preferably some specs people can recommend for games such as Final Fantasy, Phasmaphobia, beatsaber.... Thanks!
My budget is around £2000 so I do have some money to play around with. I would prefer Intel as that is what has been recommended by a couple people I know and it seems like the better option. I'd rather be able to play higher resolution. I guess I'm kinda just looking for the best I can get in overall quality of gaming for the budget, I am sorry this is so vague but I'm clueless

Last edited:
Solution
Hi im not sure on the gpu chip vendor and the 2000 is just for the computer and its components itself rather than everything else (im gonna be buying it in stages)
Sorry im not really good with this im soooo rusty with computers in general but i want to start gaming on a decent computer (a couple years ago i was only using a low end hp computer that struggled to load terraria....)
Yeah I saw the ASUS TUF 3080 at Currys in the UK for 720 GBP, so the budget is doable if you can get one at that price, but even though their site doesn't say out of stock, I'm pretty sure they are.

Here's a stock tracker for the UK... https://www.nowinstock.net/uk/computers/videocards/nvidia/rtx3080/

Canada doesn't even have them anymore, not...
Really depends on budget, the res you play at, and what settings you're OK with. Kind of a shot in the dark until we get that basic info.

Also depends whether you need all the peripherals (display, mouse, keyboard), and whether you have any preferences on those.

For instance there are displays based more on speed and lack of ghosting, than image quality, and everything from high end mech KB's to cheapos, to in between. As well as high end wireless mice with tons of buttons, to basic general ones.

Then you have super fast expensive limited capacity NVMe drives, to affordable, high capacity, not so fast (but still plenty adequate for a ton of games) HDDs.

I want to say the games you mentioned don't stand out as needing a super high end rig, but then I don't know much about the 2nd and 3rd one. VR however is a different animal, and can require more high end gear.

Lastly, do you have basic brand preferences (Intel, AMD, Nvidia) regarding CPUs and GPUs? I'm an Intel/Nvidia guy, so what I tell you may differ from what someone else will say.

After checking sys reqs, the most demanding game you mentioned, IF you include the upcoming FF 16, is FF, which is estimated to recommend a roughly $400 GPU (2070, 3060 Ti, etc). So you could conceivably do the PC itself minus peripherals pretty affordably. Affordable is a term relative to the user though.

As far as the how to, the building part is actually less of a concern than the part picking anymore, as there are plenty of good how-to videos on YouTube that cover assembly, and some cover essential software installment as well (Newegg for instance).

For learning the basics...

Picking Parts

Building

Software

For a more current high end build...

Note that some things on this build are obviously overkill, like the very expensive RAM. You could get the same performance with a sub $100 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance 3600 kit. You also don't necessarily need water cooling, a lot of decent air coolers are under $75.

Last edited:
Any preferences on GPU chip vendor? Like I said, I prefer Nvidia, and right now their 3080 is the sweet spot for high end performance value, but it's also hard as hell to get, at least here in the states. I hear Canada has them, but no idea if UK does.

It's probably just as well we revisit this in a couple months when you're ready because things might be in better stock then. That said, it would be easy to fit in a 3080 on a $2000 budget, but a 2000 BP budget would likely make it impossible. A 3060 Ti would easily fit though, and I've seen them priced at 420 BP in the UK. It would also easily play all those games, and even ones that require more powerful spec.

Is that 2000 BP budget btw intended to include everything, including peripherals AND VR gear., because it's not likely going to be enough for all that. VR gear adds quite a bump in price.

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2021
Hi im not sure on the gpu chip vendor and the 2000 is just for the computer and its components itself rather than everything else (im gonna be buying it in stages)
Sorry im not really good with this im soooo rusty with computers in general but i want to start gaming on a decent computer (a couple years ago i was only using a low end hp computer that struggled to load terraria....)

Yeah I saw the ASUS TUF 3080 at Currys in the UK for 720 GBP, so the budget is doable if you can get one at that price, but even though their site doesn't say out of stock, I'm pretty sure they are.

Here's a stock tracker for the UK... https://www.nowinstock.net/uk/computers/videocards/nvidia/rtx3080/

Canada doesn't even have them anymore, not sure any country does.

Solution