I need help clean installing W7 on a new SSD, GA-Z77-D3H

taltool24198

Honorable
Jun 3, 2012
Hey guys, so basically I just bought the Samsung 830 128GB SSD, and I went to install it, it gave me some weird stuff and now I am back on my HDD. The SSD does show up when I open Computer, and it has all the windows files on it, but for some reason it wont boot from it.
I will of course format the SSD now, but when I go to the BIOS to select is as a first boot, what exactly do I do, and how do I install the OS on it so it works?
Also, will installing on an SSD a new windows let all the programs on the HDD work as if it booted from there? Or do I have to re configure and reinstall everything?

Maybe it's simply not activated? Right click on the partition in disk management. You will see the "activate" option only, if it isn't already activated.
The best way is, to unplug your hdd, before installing windows to the ssd. That's makes sure the bootloader gets installed to the ssd and windows will start from there. The downside though is, that you will have to re-install all you programs.
It's also possible to clone the hdd to the ssd. You can try that, if you have less than 120GB in you c: drive. For example the test version of Acronis true image can do that, but i recommend getting help from someone how did that before.

If you have all Sata drives you should be operating in AHCI mode. This should be set in the BIOS BEFORE you install windows. Afterward will lead to blue screens and windows not loading.

Go ahead and set it to AHCI mode now. Then ensure the SSD is the first boot device, then save and exit BIOS. Then reboot and put in the WIN7 installation disc.

So you should boot from the windows DVD and run the install routine as usual. When it asks where to install, be sure to choose the SSD drive. You can do a quick format on an SSD, but NEVER a full format. Very bad idea.

After the winsows is installed, then you will have to re-install your programs. Since you have a 128GB SSSD, you'll have enough room for your favorite programs and a couple of games, however you'll still have most of your stuff on the old mechanical drive.

You may get a number of programs to run from your old hard drive, but I would just reinstall most of the programs on the new disc, like browsers, office apps, games, etc.

taltool24198

Honorable
Jun 3, 2012

You got me really stressed now! OMG I did a full format from Windows, right clicked it and unchecked quick format.. What will that do? Why is it so bad?! DID I just destroyed the new SSD I bought 3 hours ago?

And is there any way that I can have windows on the SSD and still run the programs from the HDD?