[SOLVED] I need help completing my build

Sep 24, 2019
Hi, I'm going to buy a PC with the Black Friday sales, these are the components I have already chosen:

Case:
LIAN LI PC-O11 Dynamic Designed by Razer

GPU:
MSI GeForce RTX 2080 Ti GAMING X TRIO

CPU:
Intel i9-9900K

All In One Liquid Cooler:
Thermaltake Floe Riing RGB 360 TT Premium Edition

Fans:
Thermaltake Riing Plus 12 RGB Radiator Fan TT (x6)

Since I would like to do it full RGB compatible with the Razer Chroma software, I need help choosing the motherboard and the rams... these are the motherboards compatible with the software:
  • MSI MEG Z390 GODLIKE
  • MSI MEG Z390 ACE
  • MSI MPG Z390 GAMING PRO CARBON
  • MSI MPG Z390 GAMING EDGE AC
Which of these should I choose? And why?
And these are the rams, in addition to the model I also need to choose how many to buy (two? four?), the frequency and the gb's of each one:
  • TEAMGROUP XCALIBUR RGB DDR4 (4000, 3600Mhz)
  • TEAMGROUP DELTA RGB DDR4 (3200, 3000, 2666, 2400Mhz)
  • TEAMGROUP NIGHT HAWK RGB DDR4 (4000, 3600, 3466, 3200, 3000Mhz)
I would use the PC mainly for gaming and I could consider a slight overclock in the future without too many risks, I don't have a particular budget and I would like the best, but at the same time avoiding unnecessary expenses ... I also need advice for the power supply and SSD

Last edited:
Solution
I have a 1080 60hz monitor, but I'll change it in the future with a 4k/2k 144hz...
Good plan, as the 2080Ti will outpace any cpu at 1080p resolution...

So you suggest putting two or four sticks, and how many GB’s each one? I wish they'd give their best anyway without overclocking
Anything over 2133 is basically an overclock, as that's the default speed of DDR4. When you purchase a faster kit, it doesn't run at that speed out of the box - you have to go into bios and set it yourself, otherwise, it's running at 2133mhz.
2 sticks, either 8 or 16GB each, whichever you feel more comfortable with. 16GBs of memory has yet to be oversaturated... but I've heard it can be done with a few titles, one being Minecraft.

How fast...

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
1)What's your monitor?

2)Go with the motherboard you like the look of more, as there aren't significant differences between those models.
But since motherboards are primarily about features, ones that are important to you and will actually use are what matter here.

3)If you want to add four sticks, do it from the start, instead of getting 2 now, and adding 2 later, as you can run into compatibility issues even with the same brand.

4)If you do decide to go with 4 sticks, keep in mind that running that many stresses the cpu's IMC even further than the memory frequency overclock and will likely be forced to run it at a lower frequency than with just 2.
If you get something like a 4stick, 4000mhz kit, only to find that the max stable frequency you can run with that many is only 3200mhz. Shouldn't be an issue running 4000 with 2 sticks though.

5)The motherboard's online memory QVL(qualified vendor's list) is your best friend regarding compatible memory.

Reactions: Crosslhs82x2
Sep 24, 2019
I have a 1080 60hz monitor, but I'll change it in the future with a 4k/2k 144hz...

So you suggest putting two or four sticks, and how many GB’s each one? I wish they'd give their best anyway without overclocking

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador

Anything over 2133 is basically an overclock, as that's the default speed of DDR4. When you purchase a faster kit, it doesn't run at that speed out of the box - you have to go into bios and set it yourself, otherwise, it's running at 2133mhz.
2 sticks, either 8 or 16GB each, whichever you feel more comfortable with. 16GBs of memory has yet to be oversaturated... but I've heard it can be done with a few titles, one being Minecraft.

How fast you want it, I'll leave it up to you, but I'll leave this regarding memory speed:
Unlike Ryzen, Intel cpus based on Skylake and it's refreshes don't have a quarter of their performance gated behind memory speed. For Ryzen, it's a set range between 3000-3600. Any higher will yield worse performance without further tweaking of the FCLK and memory settings.
Skylake/refresh continues to scale up with faster memory, albeit with diminishing returns.

Solution
Sep 24, 2019

How fast you want it, I'll leave it up to you, but I'll leave this regarding memory speed:
Unlike Ryzen, Intel cpus based on Skylake and it's refreshes don't have a quarter of their performance gated behind memory speed. For Ryzen, it's a set range between 3000-3600. Any higher will yield worse performance without further tweaking of the FCLK and memory settings.
Skylake/refresh continues to scale up with faster memory, albeit with diminishing returns.
What happens if I use the 2080Ti with a 1080p monitor?

In the info of my motherboard there is written that the overclocking of the ram is above 2666hz, it means that above the standard 2133Mhz it is not overclocking and don’t have to go to change the speed from the bios up to 2666?

I've also heard that having four ramsticks instead of two with the same GB’s in total gives better performance... is it true?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
What happens if I use the 2080Ti with a 1080p monitor?
Cpu bottlenecking. And if your monitor doesn't have any kind of adaptive sync technology... LOTS of screen tearing.
Even the mighty 9900K gets outpaced by that beast of a card at 1080p. I've already seen many a thread of people ordering 2080Tis and then coming here, or to some other forum wondering why their fps isn't meeting expectations.
It's 'good', but like, "I have the best in class gpu, I should be getting ALL THE FPS!" Instead, it's not performing that much better than a 2070 Super, which IMHO, is all anyone needs at 1080p. And the complaints I've seen in this forum and others prove that.
Hell, even the 2080 Super can bottleneck a cpu at 1080p if it's slow enough - basically, just about anything below Intel's 8th gen, and Ryzen 3000.

You know what? I said cpu bottlenecking, but in reality, it's a monitor limitiation. A card like the 2080Ti was intended for running at higher resolutions - that doesn't mean you can't do it though, but be prepared to be disappointed...
The system is only as strong as the weakest link.
Plug a 2080Ti up to a 1080p monitor, and all of a sudden, the rest of the system is bogged down, struggling to keep the gpu fed - and no, ultra graphics settings won't fix it, that's how bad it is.

It was the same deal with the 1080Ti when it launched... still not a great idea for low res play - the card can match 2080 Super performance when OC'd...

In the info of my motherboard there is written that the overclocking of the ram is above 2666hz, it means that above the standard 2133Mhz it is not overclocking and don’t have to go to change the speed from the bios up to 2666?
Oh right. Intel cpu memory standard... change up what I posted earlier and change it to 2666, that's all.

I've also heard that having four ramsticks instead of two with the same GB’s in total gives better performance... is it true?
Heck no, who told you that? All that does is increase your system ram capacity, and nothing else.
4 sticks in a dual channel motherboard is still dual channel. Thing is, putting 4 sticks in a dual channel motherboard is akin to overclocking the memory - it adds more stress to the cpu's IMC, just like ram frequency OC'ing.
If you overdo it on the memory frequency and get 4 sticks, don't be surprised if/when the internal memory controller gives out... and you'll have what is essentially a dead cpu.
If you want to push higher memory frequency, stay with 2 sticks. Don't expect to be able to push something like 3600, or even 4000mhz on 4. Not happening.

Again, the motherboard's online QVL will be your best friend when choosing a kit.

Sep 24, 2019
Cpu bottlenecking. And if your monitor doesn't have any kind of adaptive sync technology... LOTS of screen tearing.
Even the mighty 9900K gets outpaced by that beast of a card at 1080p. I've already seen many a thread of people ordering 2080Tis and then coming here, or to some other forum wondering why their fps isn't meeting expectations.
It's 'good', but like, "I have the best in class gpu, I should be getting ALL THE FPS!" Instead, it's not performing that much better than a 2070 Super, which IMHO, is all anyone needs at 1080p. And the complaints I've seen in this forum and others prove that.
Hell, even the 2080 Super can bottleneck a cpu at 1080p if it's slow enough - basically, just about anything below Intel's 8th gen, and Ryzen 3000.

You know what? I said cpu bottlenecking, but in reality, it's a monitor limitiation. A card like the 2080Ti was intended for running at higher resolutions - that doesn't mean you can't do it though, but be prepared to be disappointed...
The system is only as strong as the weakest link.
Plug a 2080Ti up to a 1080p monitor, and all of a sudden, the rest of the system is bogged down, struggling to keep the gpu fed - and no, ultra graphics settings won't fix it, that's how bad it is.

It was the same deal with the 1080Ti when it launched... still not a great idea for low res play - the card can match 2080 Super performance when OC'd...

Oh right. Intel cpu memory standard... change up what I posted earlier and change it to 2666, that's all.

Heck no, who told you that? All that does is increase your system ram capacity, and nothing else.
4 sticks in a dual channel motherboard is still dual channel. Thing is, putting 4 sticks in a dual channel motherboard is akin to overclocking the memory - it adds more stress to the cpu's IMC, just like ram frequency OC'ing.
If you overdo it on the memory frequency and get 4 sticks, don't be surprised if/when the internal memory controller gives out... and you'll have what is essentially a dead cpu.
If you want to push higher memory frequency, stay with 2 sticks. Don't expect to be able to push something like 3600, or even 4000mhz on 4. Not happening.

Again, the motherboard's online QVL will be your best friend when choosing a kit.
In the Nvidia control panel I can "upscale" the resolution of the monitor with the Super Sampling, would that solve the problem?

View: https://youtu.be/8EM0g0Szg_U

I had seen in this video that using the same ram memory in quad-channel does better performance

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
In the Nvidia control panel I can "upscale" the resolution of the monitor with the Super Sampling, would that solve the problem?

View: https://youtu.be/8EM0g0Szg_U

I had seen in this video that using the same ram memory in quad-channel does better performance
You seem to really want to run that OP card at 1080p... and being that your current monitor is only 60hz is also a big ouch. You will be forced to run V-sync @ 60fps until you can get a new monitor... and you will see very little usage out of this gpu until you do so.

Is a quad channel cpu+motherboard which can take advantage of four sticks,with dualchannel do 4 sticks not help in performance.
^What he said. 4 sticks in a dual channel motherboard is still dual channel.
Adding 4 sticks in a dual channel mobo isn't necessary, and is more stable with just 2:
-running 4 sticks only increases memory capacity,but increases cpu package temps and increases the stress on the IMC
-overclocking the memory frequency also increases package temps and stresses the IMC, but with performance benefits
Doing both... while you can do so, I'd advise against it. You'll succeed in wearing the cpu out faster that way.

Sep 24, 2019
You seem to really want to run that OP card at 1080p... and being that your current monitor is only 60hz is also a big ouch. You will be forced to run V-sync @ 60fps until you can get a new monitor... and you will see very little usage out of this gpu until you do so.

^What he said. 4 sticks in a dual channel motherboard is still dual channel.
Adding 4 sticks in a dual channel mobo isn't necessary, and is more stable with just 2:
-running 4 sticks only increases memory capacity,but increases cpu package temps and increases the stress on the IMC
-overclocking the memory frequency also increases package temps and stresses the IMC, but with performance benefits
Doing both... while you can do so, I'd advise against it. You'll succeed in wearing the cpu out faster that way.
So Supersampling at maybe 2k or 4K won’t solve the problem?