I need help deciding on a computer.

SaltyyCheeto

Reputable
Nov 23, 2014
Hello, recently my computer broke and I am looking to buy a new one. I dont know very much about computers but im looking for a prebuilt gaming desktop. My price range is $700-800. I dont need a monitor or a mouse. The only game I will be playing is minecraft and i would like to get 60+ fps. Also, I was looking at the minion advanced or the minion ultra. Are those worth looking into?

Solution
It is not. You can get a much better product for the same price.
I would get something with at least an AMD FX or Intel i5/i7 processor. Athlon processors are generally weak.
I would honestly consider the Everest Olympus Gamer, it has an AMD r9 280x (which is about 50% faster than the minion ultra) and it has an 8 core AMD processor, compared to the 4 core in the minion. It also has 16gb of RAM (twice what the minion has) and an SSD. If you don't plan on overclocking the minion will be fine, but the olympus has liquid cooling which is much quieter and more efficient.

If you can afford the extra 200$, the olympus gamer is simply a much better choice, you will get up to 75% more performance from it.

Sixsa

Reputable
Nov 30, 2014
Are you 100% sure that you don't want to build your own and simply have someone experienced assemble it for you? You can do a TON with that kind of budget that you simply will be wasting on buying a marked up prebuilt computer. Minecraft at 60+ fps is going to be easy with a budget like this. I strongly recommend you consider advice on a partlist for building it yourself, you would be able to achieve much more powerful results than buying a prebuilt.

corcorand82

Honorable
Nov 22, 2013
I have a few recommendations for you.
1. Everest (www.everestpc.co.nr) Price is relatively competitive, and you get good performance and reliability.
Yes, I make computers at everest. I have to post here.

2. Digital storm (www.digitalstormonline.com) A bit overpriced, but rock-solid performance and good overall experience.

3. ASUS
its just ASUS. Good computers, good price, and good components. All around just "good".
In general, look for a system with an SSD, an AMD r9 270x, GTX 750 or better and 8gb of RAM.

SaltyyCheeto

Reputable
Nov 23, 2014
I would build a computer but I have absolutely no idea how. Im only going to be playing minecraft, recording, editing and maybe some streaming. I just need help with the parts. So yes, I will build one. But os the minion ultra any good for the price?

corcorand82

Honorable
Nov 22, 2013
It is not. You can get a much better product for the same price.
I would get something with at least an AMD FX or Intel i5/i7 processor. Athlon processors are generally weak.
I would honestly consider the Everest Olympus Gamer, it has an AMD r9 280x (which is about 50% faster than the minion ultra) and it has an 8 core AMD processor, compared to the 4 core in the minion. It also has 16gb of RAM (twice what the minion has) and an SSD. If you don't plan on overclocking the minion will be fine, but the olympus has liquid cooling which is much quieter and more efficient.

If you can afford the extra 200$, the olympus gamer is simply a much better choice, you will get up to 75% more performance from it.

Solution

Sixsa

Reputable
Nov 30, 2014

Not necessarily, Intel chips have been known to consistently outperform AMD CPU's despite having a lower amount of cores.