i5-6600k

Corsair vengeance ddr4 2x4gb

Corsair vengeance ddr4 1x8gb

ZOTAC Nvidia Geforce GTX 1080 8GB
AMP Edition

PowerSpec 550 Watt 80 Plus Bronze

Corsair c70 case.

Solution
You have plenty of ram, and it should be operating in dual channel mode.
CPU-Z will confirm that.

The question is do you need a cpu upgrade or a graphics upgrade?

Run YOUR games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.
If your FPS stays the same, you are likely more cpu limited.

If you are cpu limited, one upgrade would be to buy a Z170 or Z270 based motherboard so you can overclock your 6600K. Now. your peak is around 3.6
With a good overclock, you should be able to get to 4.5.

If you need more, you are looking at a 9th gen processor like a i5-9600K which will get near 5.0.
That will also require a Z390 based motherboard
Mar 10, 2019
I am trying to get arma 3 to hit more then 40-50 fps.

I have two ssd, one is

Sandisk 64gb,

Inland 245gb

My monitor is Acer E211H it runs at 60hz.

If you want to game on your machine you can play with taskmgr brought to front. Keep an eye on the CPU and GPU usage to see which one is holding the fps back down. Upgrading storage wouldn't improve much since you have an ssd already.

Mar 10, 2019
I had gotten the a two pack of ddr4 ram but one of the sticks was dead. So I am going to pick up G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 2 x 8GB DDR4-3000. Will it be compatible with the two 4gb sticks?

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
If you have 2x4gb+1x8gb in that pc and all is working fine together do you not need to upgrade ram. What you could/should look at if the 2x4 are in one channel and that the 1x8gb is in the other channel to make sure that you run dualchannel.

Might want to look with msi afterburner of the gpu is used 100% if not could the cpu be bottlenecking it.

Updated drivers? Maybe even motherboard bios?.

Saw this one where you see that the gpu isn't being used fully,

Might well be that an i7 will alleviate that bottlenecking. Saw one where at least the gpu was utilized more,but also one with the i7 8700K where it was utilized 100%.Means a total system upgrade (i mean motherboard+cpu). Seems more and faster cores aid that game.

Last edited:
You have plenty of ram, and it should be operating in dual channel mode.
CPU-Z will confirm that.

The question is do you need a cpu upgrade or a graphics upgrade?

Run YOUR games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.
If your FPS stays the same, you are likely more cpu limited.

If you are cpu limited, one upgrade would be to buy a Z170 or Z270 based motherboard so you can overclock your 6600K. Now. your peak is around 3.6
With a good overclock, you should be able to get to 4.5.

If you need more, you are looking at a 9th gen processor like a i5-9600K which will get near 5.0.
That will also require a Z390 based motherboard

Solution
Read your motherboard manual.
It will tell you which slots to populate if you have less than the max.
In principle, you need to balance the capacity across the two channels.
That means putting the 2 4gb sticks in channel A and the single 8gb stick in channel B.
If you do not have balanced capacity across the two channels, you will run in what is called flex mote.
That is where the balanced capacity runs in dual channel mode and the odd capacity runs in single channel mode.