[SOLVED] I need help fixing an old 1155 MOBO.

Jun 18, 2020
I flip computers to sell as a hobby. A few days ago i got an old setup with a 1155 board with a 2nd gen i5 and 2 sticks of RAM. When i got it wasn't going to post, i cleaned the board thoroughly and fixed some hard drive issues. Now i have the PC working with Win 10 installed, it's working just fine, but only with 1 ram slot available, the first one, if i put the two sticks it goes back to no post, or even if i put only one stick but on the slot 2. I already tested the sticks and both are working properly. I cleared the CMOS, updated the BIOS, cleaned the board one more time but none of this helped. My guess is a circuit problem, i know these can't be a pain to fix but I'm willing to try since i can afford to mess up this first time, just don't know how to start or even how to properly troubleshoot to identify exactly where's the problem. I believe i have the tools to work with this, but, if not, I'm willing to get them, since I'm probably going to have to deal with this kind of trouble again on the future.

Thanks in advance and sorry if something wasn't clear, i tried my best haha

Well same problem like me. I have build 2 of them, i3 and Xeon systems. both is ivy bridge. GIGABYTE and MSI. and same like yours, they only work if only 1 stick RAM. Some people said you need an dual-channel RAM (because I have 2 different RAM manufacturer, ADATA and ZEPPELIN, but the RAM speed is same 1600Mhz). in the end, I surender to find out and use only 1 stick RAM.

Jun 18, 2020
Well same problem like me. I have build 2 of them, i3 and Xeon systems. both is ivy bridge. GIGABYTE and MSI. and same like yours, they only work if only 1 stick RAM. Some people said you need an dual-channel RAM (because I have 2 different RAM manufacturer, ADATA and ZEPPELIN, but the RAM speed is same 1600Mhz). in the end, I surender to find out and use only 1 stick RAM.
I'd be alright with only one stick too, this PC would be to office use, e-mails, word, excel, stuff like that, wouldn't need much more than 4GB of ram, an 8GB stick would be quite enough too. But, unfortunately, my goal is to sell it, the client might not be ok with this, guess I'll have to find a more willing client haha

But to be fair I'm already quite surprised that i got this far with this PC, when i got it i thought it was a lost cause