intel(R) core i7-4770 CPU @ 3.40ghz
Installed RAM: 16.0 GB
System: 64-bit operating sys, x64-based processor

POWER:
320W

Graphics:
Intel (R) HD Graphics 4600

Monitors:
I am using 2 Benq monitors 21-inch LED set for resolution 1920 x 1080 (No HDMI inputs)
Each has a DVI and VGA (DB9)

PCI Slots:
• two PCI Express x1 expansion slots
• one PCI Express x16 expansion slot
• one PCI Express x16 expansion slot that is downshifted to a x4 slot

Mouse:
Wireless Geyes (gaming)

Can you help me…

Thank you...
Steve

Solution
I would say the better option of the two, is to go with the GTX 1650, as it doesn't require extra power connectors from the PSU (which it most likely won't have), and it is within the specs you have provided of your current power supply.

EDIT:
But power supplies are very important, and eventhough a lot of people go for a cheap PSU and maybe find it boring to invest in, it can't be stressed enough, how important it is with sufficient power from a quality power supply. When a cheap or inadequate power supply fails, it can damage the entire system in thhe process. So even if it is boring, always get yourself a good PSU

ratAB

Commendable
Feb 23, 2020
This is my computer:

I PLAY: WAR THUNDER

MY COMPUTER:

HP Elite desktop
Windows 10 Pro
intel(R) core i7-4770 CPU @ 3.40ghz
Installed RAM: 16.0 GB
System: 64-bit operating sys, x64-based processor

POWER:
320W

Graphics:
Intel (R) HD Graphics 4600

Monitors:
I am using 2 Benq monitors 21-inch LED set for resolution 1920 x 1080 (No HDMI inputs)
Each has a DVI and VGA (DB9)

PCI Slots:
• two PCI Express x1 expansion slots
• one PCI Express x16 expansion slot
• one PCI Express x16 expansion slot that is downshifted to a x4 slot

Mouse:
Wireless Geyes (gaming)

Can you help me…

Thank you...
Steve
Ez u can enjoy with 1650 super with pretty good fps

ratAB

Commendable
Feb 23, 2020
Don't have to, no need. I see videos of a person using 2080 ti and a Intel processor running on 350 w or maybe 500w psu. Trust me don't have to, don't need to

This person must have struck gold with this PSU... or maybe he's lucky it hasn't crashed and burned yet. It will be expensive when his luck runs out

Watt recommendations can be stupidly high sometimes, but doing the exact opposite, although with a quality PSU, doesn't seem like good advice either

Sometimes, one should not trust youtube as a source for nothing but valid information

Mar 27, 2020
You all are great.

Power supply is what came with my HP Elite desk top.

Something like this no youtube, using it to caulking a sink, it's ok.

Next question 1 or 2 fans?
Also if I turn 1 monitor (I can remember when they were called a CRT) off would that even be better?

Again thank you...

Steve

Mar 27, 2020
Would there be any problem in using a RX 570 4GB card, I saw a review on your pages (Tom's Hardware) that said it was good, but no reference to power.

It's also a little cheaper....

I would hesitate when it comes to continuing using the powersupply in your original post. Since you have a pre-built system, the power supply is usually aimed at powering that specific system, maybe a few minor upgrades, but not a lot more. They are usually sufficient and safe for the system, but it is not a power supply you want to rely on if your system needs more power than the original design.

However, one way to figure out recommended watt for a given graphics card, is to find a model of the GPU that fits your needs and you like, mostly the cooler would be something to consider, and a price you want to pay - warranty as well.

Then go to the given manufacturers product page for the specific GPU make and model, and typically a recommendation for a PSU will be listed.

Sometimes you can make do with a little less watt than recommended, if it is a high quality PSU. But the product page should give you a general idea.

Some users on these forums know these numbers even in their sleep, since I don't want to give a false recommendation, you should get some more specific advice before deciding. I'm sure you'll get some useful advice shortly

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2020
I would hesitate when it comes to continuing using the powersupply in your original post. Since you have a pre-built system, the power supply is usually aimed at powering that specific system, maybe a few minor upgrades, but not a lot more. They are usually sufficient and safe for the system, but it is not a power supply you want to rely on if your system needs more power than the original design.

However, one way to figure out recommended watt for a given graphics card, is to find a model of the GPU that fits your needs and you like, mostly the cooler would be something to consider, and a price you want to pay - warranty as well.

Then go to the given manufacturers product page for the specific GPU make and model, and typically a recommendation for a PSU will be listed.

Sometimes you can make do with a little less watt than recommended, if it is a high quality PSU. But the product page should give you a general idea.

Some users on these forums know these numbers even in their sleep, since I don't want to give a false recommendation, you should get some more specific advice before deciding. I'm sure you'll get some useful advice shortly

Mar 27, 2020
Of the 2:

From their web sits.

RX 570 4GB:
Typical Board Power (Desktop)
150 W
PSU Recommendation
450 W

GTX 1650 4GB:
Thermal and Power Specs:
Maximum GPU Temperature (in C) 92
Graphics Card Power (W) 75W
Recommended System Power (W ) 300W
Supplementary Power Connectors None

So, my thoughts are to go with the GTX 1650 4GB....

I would say the better option of the two, is to go with the GTX 1650, as it doesn't require extra power connectors from the PSU (which it most likely won't have), and it is within the specs you have provided of your current power supply.

EDIT:
But power supplies are very important, and eventhough a lot of people go for a cheap PSU and maybe find it boring to invest in, it can't be stressed enough, how important it is with sufficient power from a quality power supply. When a cheap or inadequate power supply fails, it can damage the entire system in thhe process. So even if it is boring, always get yourself a good PSU

Last edited:
Reactions: SamirD
Solution
Mar 27, 2020
I would say the better option of the two, is to go with the GTX 1650, as it doesn't require extra power connectors from the PSU, and it is within the specs you have provided of your current power supply.

Last question 1 or 2 fan model?

Apparently your a techie, none of my business but where do you live?
FYI:
Me-Sun City AZ, but spent most of my life in Silicon Valley (where all his stuff started), I was a sales dude worked for Cisco, Nokia (appliances) and had my own IT centered company. Sit down ready for this "I was offered 10,000 shares of pre-IPO Apple stock, didn't get it, oh and it was $17 a share.

Anyway have a great day and thank you.

Steve

Models with two fans will usually be able to provide better cooling. It is not a given, sometimes there are exceptions where a cooler that appears to be better, isn't actually so.
Other than that, with better cooling comes a more tolerable sound level. Improved cooling will sometimes add to the lifespan of the GPU, although that is usually not extremely relevant - GPUs often become obsolete before they wear out. But extreme heat can play a role in that.

But with that particular GPU, I'd say a sinlge fan is able to provide sufficient cooling.

If you have a couple of different models in mind, you could spend some time quickly looking at reviews for each model, to find the one with best cooling, and other potetial specs that could point to choosing one over the other.

Sometimes reviews revael something not immediately obvious about a certain model, which could make a different model a better choice. But it depends on if you want to spend a little time before buiyng

---
I'm located in Denmark, so although I obviously have to know about Silicon Valley, I'm not very geographically educated on the States.

I've been working at different IT companies since the late 90s, usually small businesses run by just a handful of people. One of the places picked up on the trend that everything would become digitalized, so for a while I was working on scanning official documents, blueprints, medical journals, maps - all kinds of thing that could be run through a scanner. It wasn't incerdibly exciting, but it is fun to look back on now and at one point, we were the only company in DK doing this - I was at my doctors the other day, and going back in my journal more than 15 years is almost impossible, since journals prior to this were never digitalized.

Other then that it was most building PCs and servicing them, nothing special really

Mar 27, 2020
It's pretty early in Denmark (12:30AM).
I have around and lived in Silicon since this stuff was invented. First modem I sold to was a 300/1200 baud modem. There was no internet only bulletin board type guys - actually if you think about it they stared the web. A guy would have 10 or 20 standalone modems connected to his system and people would dial into it. Then one system connected to another. Pretty archaic if you think about it. I always use to ask a smarty hey, your so smart what's a modem. They never had the right answerer. They always thought it was the thing that connected them to the internet. Keep in mind I'm an old guy. Modem stands for modulator demodulator of an analog signal. But, the term stuck so now we use it for everything. In Silicon Valley I sold to everyone - Apple, AMD, National Semi, intel, Google, National Labs, US Geo, Oracle, Cisco, IBM, Amdahl HP, Microsoft (my kids a VP there), all the RBOCs and you name a high tech company and I've been there. Sorry, I degress...

Thanks for all the help...

Steve

Fascinating to read about you both from different sides of the globe. :)

Courier V.everything is awesome--would connect up to 200bps higher than any other brand or model. I still have a few of these.

The HP 8500fn1 is awesome--we have about 5 of them in addition to a bunch of other scanners (Brother ads-2500/3600) for digitizing all incoming paper. :D

Oh, and I second the 1650 because of the low power usage. :D

Latest posts