[SOLVED] I need help getting ram to 3600mhz

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

LordMikeus

Honorable
Sep 23, 2016
To start with it's worth mentioning I'm completely new to overclocking and most of it baffles me. I've been trying a lot of things to get my RAM to 3600mhz as that's why I bought it but I could really use some help. Reading around it may actually be better to stop at 3200 or 3400 and aim for lowest latency or something but I have no idea so if I'm wrong aiming for 3600 then please guide me in getting the RAM in it's best place.

I have a b450 Tomahawk Max with a Ryzen 5 3600x processor. As far as I know, they should be fine for getting 3600mhz.
My RAM is Viper Steel Series DDR4 32GB (2 x 16GB) 3600MHz Kit. Says on the RAM CL18 and 1.35V. Patriot support tells me my RAM sticks are Samsung B-Die after I sent them a pic of the RAM label. I asked after reading comments saying it was Hynix CJR or something. It seemed based on review on both the amazon page and found elsewhere that the RAM was actually really good, worked a charm and other people with even the same setup as me more or less have had success although they probably know what they're doing :D

Now I'll run through the stuff I tried as best I remember it.
First was just using the optimised defaults of my BIOS and turning on A-XMP. I tried profiles 1 and 2 but both meant by PC wouldn't even boot and needed a CMOS clear. I did this by taking out the Mobo battery.
Then I tried using the DRAM calculator and phaiphoon but that also ended up with a CMOS clear.
Next I tried some advice from Patriot Support. This included making sure RAM was in the right place (It is of course), BIOS was up to date (It wasn't but is now of course), using optomised defaults and XMP (I did this again just incase and still needed CMOS), then working my way up with defaults from 2400 mhz. I got to around 3400mhz before I started getting a freeze at boot or a BSOD. 3200mhz seemed to be fine using just basic XMP. I did try messing with some voltages here but it was hard to be sure on many, I mostly tried just DRAM voltage up at 1.35 to 1.45 but still just BSOD on 3400mhz.
Patriot support then asked me to try some profiles. I continues to use defaults except what they asked me to change here:
  • 3466MHz (18-26-26-46) 1.4v
  • 3466MHz (18-26-26-46) 1.45v
  • 3466MHz (20-26-26-46) 1.4v
  • 3466MHz (20-26-26-46) 1.45v
All of these got me nowhere, froze at boot. I then tried changing the SOC up to 1.1 out of curiosity and things I'd read and seemed to get to desktop but quickly got a BSOD.
So then I went on a bigger adventure. I made use of this guide https://github.com/integralfx/MemTestHelper/blob/master/DDR4 OC Guide.md to try and get somewhere. I tried to follow as much of it as I understood and was comfortable to do. This includes:
All of "Finding a Baseline", again, stable until about 3200mhz. Now though I was trying the timings recommended in the guide and changing some voltages like DRAM and SOC. I did see some for VPPD and VPPG but wasn't entirely sure what to change these to. I didn't touch CPU voltages at all or anything to do with my CPU really. I tried setting things like FLCK to half RAM frequency and so on although some settings in the BIOS made little sense to me. Even choosing to edit SOC required me to first set something else to AMD Overclock or something like that.
I might have missed some stuff. Over the past few days I've tried a lot of combinations, even tried with the Game Boost on but that seemed to make things 2T which I believe is bad? And I still BSOD'd during a stress test anyway for 3400mhz.

It has all been incredibly complicated and I'm struggling and confused. Been trying for days now and so I've came to the experts. Any help is appreciated and I'll provide any other info I can and try recommendations and so on.
As a side note, I did use OCCT to stress the ram at 3200 mhz as mentioned in the guide, I've also done a memtest86 USB thing to check the RAM is okay at bios defaults and I have AIDA64 for benchmarking if needed. I do have Ryzen Master but read more things saying to just do everything in BIOS and just use it for reading timings or something. No idea how to use it anyway!

Thanks again for any help!

Solution
Looking at your Thaiphoon screenshot, those certified timings indicate a terrible bin of B-die, or straight-up fake B-die. I'd return the kit to Patriot just looking at that. Get G.Skills. They always work with AMD, no matter what die they use. Running a 3600MT/s kit at 3800CL16 Hynix dies myself.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
I like Patriot. I had a set of Intel Extreme Master 1866 DDR3 which would OC to 2400 and not blink. But that said, I'm currently running Ripjaws V 3600/16 (SkHynix) with this Ryzen 3700X, Bios is 6 months old, so is 2-3 back from latest, and this ram hasn't given me the first issue. Just set XMP and I'm all good.

So while I'd love to see that Patriot ram work out for you, you are doing a whole heap of work to get something that's supposed to be plug-n-play, to work and failing. The best ram for a Ryzen currently is the GSkill Neos , for 3000 series cpus that's 3600/16.

D

Deleted member 2720853

can confirm, my 4x8 kit of Trident Z Neo 3600 16-16-16-36 b-die has been plug and play with my 3900X. Neither the G.Skill Configurator or the board had this RAM on their compatibility lists. yet it worked just fine and I was also able to tighten timings to this stable:

Discord_3teP4qi6r4.png

however, i have opted to just leave default timings with tRFC to 324 as stated above. Still, this is possible, so just get G.Skill which is more than likely to work out of the box.

LordMikeus

Honorable
Sep 23, 2016
Right, I gave up. I'll return the Viper RAM. I actually had 32gb 3600mhz Ripjaw RAM here. Just due to going missing in delivery, issued refunds, me buying the Viper RAM etc, I hadn't opened it. Now I've paid for it again to keep and it seems to be working so far. I've put it in, turned the XMP profile on and got to desktop with 3600mhz! All seems good although I haven't stress tested it yet with AIDA64. Will do that next. Thanks for all the help though, it seems this was the quickest way in the end but I appreciate all the answers!

LordMikeus

Honorable
Sep 23, 2016
I'm super torn on best answer, feel bad not giving it to all of you for the help you've tried to give me! And there's no set answer to the question since I just ended up changing RAM! I'll pick one tonight though, wish I could give you all best answer!

LordMikeus

Honorable
Sep 23, 2016
well, if you don't pick one, ErVivek will be here to pick one for you ;)
I'm tempted by that actually. Feel bad no matter who I pick, someone who knows their stuff might be best for this. Everyone tried to help but there's no real answer to this question although lots of attempts to get me to the end goal from you kind souls. I'll have a think though!

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
I'm very surprised by @AlexaKitty. Getting 3600MHz out of 4x sticks is something I've never seen yet, most ppl have issues getting 3200MHz, simply because of the Infinity Fabric that Ryzens use and the way the ports are set up. Slot 2/4 run full speed, but 1/3 are almost always capped. That might have been changed or bumped up with the B550 boards, I've not seen any confirmations either way.

Nice to know it's possible though 👍

Deciding best answer shouldn't be difficult 😏, it'll be the one that pointed you in the right direction as far as solving the issue, regardless of the amount of work, time, research by everyone else. It's not aimed at the receiver to get any benefits, best answer is aimed at any other reader whom might read the post who has the same issue. Best answer will hopefully fix their issues too.

Happy to hear it all worked out in the end 😁

Last edited:

LordMikeus

Honorable
Sep 23, 2016
I'm very surprised by @AlexaKitty. Getting 3600MHz out of 4x sticks is something I've never seen yet, most ppl have issues getting 3200MHz, simply because of the Infinity Fabric that Ryzens use and the way the ports are set up. Slot 2/4 run full speed, but 1/3 are almost always capped. That might have been changed or bumped up with the B550 boards, I've not seen any confirmations either way.

Deciding best answer shouldn't be difficult 😏, it'll be the one that pointed you in the right direction as far as solving the issue, regardless of the amount of work, time, research by everyone else. It's not aimed at the receiver to get any benefits, best answer is aimed at any other reader whom might read the post who has the same issue. Best answer will hopefully fix their issues too.

Alright, thanks for the help! For my setup it seems the best route was giving up and choosing G.Skill so I'll choose one of those answers for future readers I guess!

D

Deleted member 2720853

I was as surprised as you, I didn't expect it to be just plug and play at 1.35v. IF 1800 is stable. I can even boot with 1900 but I do get WHEA Bus/Interconnect errors so that's probably just a silicon limitation.

Heh I'm running 4x8GB of cheap Hynix DJR at 3800/16 (on 3600/16 Ripjaw V), and actually it will go a little higher with some base clock adjustment. I think this Ryzen sample has a very strong IMC, and of course the parallel topology on my X470 Taichi helps. My IF has actually been stable up to about 1950MHz.