i need help in bringing my External HDD back to life

gursimran_2

Commendable
Jul 3, 2016
when connecting my External HDD it to a pc, it is shown as "local disk" with no other info like free space etc. visible.
while the external HDD is connected, i cannot open disk management or diskpart. they open as soon as i disconnect the HDD. i also tried opening it on Ubuntu but cannot mount the drive.
i tried to do "chkdsk /f /r" but it gets stuck in the start with nothing happening in the cmd screen.

plz help

Solution
Then you'd need to remove the drive from the enclosure and use something like this to test the drive to see if it still causes the same issue:

https://www.amazon.com/SANOXY-A12940-Drive-Adapter-Converter/dp/B001OORMVQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1467529605&sr=8-2&keywords=sata+usb+drive+adapter+kit

Or replace the drive. There is nothing else that is going to magically solve your issue. Personally, I'd just about guarantee it's either a bad drive or bad enclosure, but I'd certainly try a different USB and/or power cable, if it's a powered enclosure, first.
Try a different cable. If that doesn't help, you may need to disconnect the drive and either connect it internally if you have a desktop system or via an adapter cable kit to see if it's the drive itself that is failing/failed or just the enclosure itself. The enclosures are prone to failure even when the drive is still good, although that's not always the case. You can remove the drive from pretty much any enclosure. WD Mybook and similar external drives are just regular hard drives in an external enclosure.

gursimran_2

Commendable
Jul 3, 2016

I don't have access to a desktop and won't have until 3-4 months. also my HDD is a lenovo which i got as a gift with my laptop. i don't need any data from the drive but really want it to start woring again. when i connect it to any pc, it slows down everything.

Then you'd need to remove the drive from the enclosure and use something like this to test the drive to see if it still causes the same issue:

https://www.amazon.com/SANOXY-A12940-Drive-Adapter-Converter/dp/B001OORMVQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1467529605&sr=8-2&keywords=sata+usb+drive+adapter+kit

Or replace the drive. There is nothing else that is going to magically solve your issue. Personally, I'd just about guarantee it's either a bad drive or bad enclosure, but I'd certainly try a different USB and/or power cable, if it's a powered enclosure, first.

Solution

gursimran_2

Commendable
Jul 3, 2016

Thanks for the help bro.
Will order a new cable and the kit and reply back if it worked !