I Need help installing windows 8

Joseph Malone

Reputable
Jun 5, 2015
I am trying to install windows 8 on a blank hard drive. I am using cd rom I bought. The hard drive is new and never had any other operating systems. On a screen that says where do you want to install it says "We couldn't find any drives". I am using a Seagate sshd. It is plugged in and running so why is windows not locating it?

Welcome to Tom's Hardware, Joseph!

I'd suggest you to check the SATA connections to the drive once again and make sure everything is plugged properly. Since this is going to be your booting/OS drive, you should plug it in the first available SATA port (0) on the motherboard. I'd also check the SATA mode in BIOS and check if the drive is set on AHCI.
If that doesn't help with the detection of the SSHD, then I'd recommend you to reset BIOS by re-seating the CMOS battery or the jumper on the motherboard. This reset is needed sometimes, especially when installing new hardware. Check this tutorial: http://www.wikihow.com/Reset-Your-BIOS
Keep in mind, though, that this will get your BIOS settings back to factory defaults, so you'd need to re-configure them afterwards.

Hope this helped! :)
SuperSoph_WD

Joseph Malone

Reputable
Jun 5, 2015
My hard drive was being detected in bios. However windows setup installer doesn't recognize it. All the connections were as you stated. I can hear the drive power up and spin. So I believe the drive to be connected properly and being read by the mobo. The drive itself is brand new having been removed from the package today. Sata in ide or ahci hasn't changed anything. I now per you advice set data to dealt and reboot. For some reason it is running in raid mode. It scans drives (of which I have only one installed) and it comes back saying something is wrong with my hardware. I turn the pc off and try to get back to the startup menu but it won't let me. Now I can not access the Bios settings. It just runs in raid option and coming back with a bogus warning.

Joseph Malone

Reputable
Jun 5, 2015
That made things worse. Now bios can not see my hd. Turning on the pc it goes straight to raid option rom version xxx-xxxx. I can not access bios with hd plugged in. To access bios I now need to disconnect the Sata from hd. Which of course means that the mobo can't read the hd now. Changing storage options from raid to ide or ahci and accepting by pressing f 10 then saving changes and exiting bios by pressing f 10 doesn't stop raid from coming back up. I posted screen shots at https://instagram.com/p/3ixqddJGoJ/ as the before, and https://instagram.com/p/3iyN33pGpL/ as the after.

This is very unfortunate, Joseph! :( It seems like the issue is with your motherboard.
I think that you should consider flashing BIOS and updating the firmware for your model. Please consult with your motherboard manual and their website. You should be very careful when updating BIOS. Here's a tutorial that might be useful to you: http://www.howtogeek.com/196916/how-to-check-your-bios-version-and-update-it/

However, there is nothing wrong with the storage drive or the installation itself. I'd also check the warranty of the motherboard and get in touch with the manufacturer's tech support.

Hope this helps.
SuperSoph_WD

Joseph Malone

Reputable
Jun 5, 2015
My warranty is up. I need to put in storage driver so the install can see where and how to format hard drive maybe? My pc is hp8-1414. My mother board is m3970bm. I found my model at http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-ENVY-h8-1400-Desktop-PC-series/5295996/model/5296860/drivers?lang=en&cc=us. It won't let download the mass storage driver. I'm told I need that for windows to continue installing.

Hi again, Joseph.

Try updating the chipset drivers for your motherboard, it might do the trick. I'd also get in touch with the manufacturer, if you encounter any issues whatsoever. Another thing that you could try if the USB Mass storage and the chipset driver don't help, is burning a CD/DVD with the Windows installation media and see if that will help with the proper install.

Good luck.
SuperSoph_WD

Joseph Malone

Reputable
Jun 5, 2015
On another forum was told that it is either not connected, failed hard drive, or not having a storage driver. In my pic it says missing storage driver. I bought my pc pre built and it didn't come with any documentation or driver cd for the motherboard. I had taken it in several times while under warranty but they kept doing shoddy repairs till the warranty ran out. Hp won't help me because the warranty is up. I had to buy a new os and hd but without the storage driver won't work. I should be able to get a driver downloaded from HP's site but no luck so far. Usually I am able to find drivers online but I can't this time. Will try posting on other sites to see if someone has a link I can use. Right now I am without any pc and using my phone to post this.

It seems like this desktop is causing you quite the headaches! :( Sorry to hear about it!
I'd suggest you to refer to your manufacturer's community forum, usually there are official brand representatives there that might be able to help you more.

Good luck! Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.
SuperSoph_WD