[SOLVED] I need help instslling my new NVMe

Ramund

Honorable
Jun 4, 2015
Hi! I got this nvme m.2 as a present today (SSD 1TB PCIe NVME M.2 NV1 from Kingston. Link: https://www.pcfactory.cl/producto/41850-kingston-unidad-ssd-1tb-pcie-nvme-m-2-nv1)

I have this motherboard: https://www.asus.com/Motherboards-Components/Motherboards/TUF-Gaming/TUF-X470-PLUS-GAMING/

It says it has an M. 2_1 from CPU and a M. 2_2 from PCH... Which one of those two should I use to install it?

Also... It is my first pcie ssd, is there anything I shouls know about? An option to turn on on BIOS, or anything?

Thanks! :)

Solution
Yes! :) I remember that! :D All other drives will be unplugged.
Yep, Disk 2 (the one with the windows logo is the current drive. The new one I will get tomorrow, that's why it is not in the picture.
I only need to give more space to the C one? Since my one drive will be much larger, I want to take advantage of that. Or should I also give a bit more space to the other ones?
Yes, just the C partition.

In the Macrium client, 'Cloned partition properties'.
That will allow you to adjust the resulting size of the space on the target.

If you do not do this, the C partition on the target drive will be, atmost, 111GB.
You do not want this.
You can expand that space to include the whole remaining space on the target drive.

kanewolf

Titan
Hi! I got this nvme m.2 as a present today (SSD 1TB PCIe NVME M.2 NV1 from Kingston. Link: https://www.pcfactory.cl/producto/41850-kingston-unidad-ssd-1tb-pcie-nvme-m-2-nv1)

I have this motherboard: https://www.asus.com/Motherboards-Components/Motherboards/TUF-Gaming/TUF-X470-PLUS-GAMING/

It says it has an M. 2_1 from CPU and a M. 2_2 from PCH... Which one of those two should I use to install it?

Also... It is my first pcie ssd, is there anything I shouls know about? An option to turn on on BIOS, or anything?

Thanks! :)
For highest performance you want to use the one between the CPU and GPU slots. That is the one connected to the CPU.
Most people will clone their existing C: drive to the SSD to speed boot. Other hardcore gamers will choose to install their games to speed load times. With a 1TB device you may be able to do both.

Reactions: Ramund

Ramund

Honorable
Jun 4, 2015
For highest performance you want to use the one between the CPU and GPU slots. That is the one connected to the CPU.
Most people will clone their existing C: drive to the SSD to speed boot. Other hardcore gamers will choose to install their games to speed load times. With a 1TB device you may be able to do both.

Great!
One quick question... What do you mean by the speedboost? Like... Install my new nvme drive, turn pc on... Give it format, then copy my entire (and current) C drive to the new nvme and than format?
If so... I got until that part, but then, what do I do? Like, so my pc completely recognizes the nvme drive as the new C/windows drive and not my old one?

If you meant something else, could you explain? Haha... Sorry, and thank you!

kanewolf

Titan
Great!
One quick question... What do you mean by the speedboost? Like... Install my new nvme drive, turn pc on... Give it format, then copy my entire (and current) C drive to the new nvme and than format?
If so... I got until that part, but then, what do I do? Like, so my pc completely recognizes the nvme drive as the new C/windows drive and not my old one?

If you meant something else, could you explain? Haha... Sorry, and thank you!
You don't copy. You clone. Big difference. You want the NVMe to be bootable.
I didn't say "speedboost" I said speed boot. Meaning faster boot time.

USAFRet

Titan
-----------------------------
Specific steps for a successful clone operation:
Verify the actual used space on the current drive is significantly below the size of the new SSD
Download and install Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration, if a Samsung SSD)
If you are cloning from a SATA drive to PCIe/NVMe, install the relevant driver for this new NVMe/PCIe drive.
Power off
Disconnect ALL drives except the current C and the new SSD
Power up
Run the Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration)
Select ALL the partitions on the existing C drive

If you are going from a smaller drive to a larger, by default, the target partition size will be the same as the Source. You probably don't want that
You can manipulate the size of the partitions on the target (larger)drive
Click on "Cloned Partition Properties", and you can specifiy the resulting partition size, to even include the whole thing

Click the 'Clone' button
Wait until it is done
When it finishes, power off
Disconnect ALL drives except for the new SSD. This is not optional.
This is to allow the system to try to boot from ONLY the SSD
Swap the SATA cables around so that the new drive is connected to the same SATA port as the old drive
Power up, and verify the BIOS boot order
If good, continue the power up

It should boot from the new drive, just like the old drive.
Maybe reboot a time or two, just to make sure.

If it works, and it should, all is good.

Later, reconnect the old drive and wipe all partitions on it.
This will probably require the commandline diskpart function, and the clean command.

Ask questions if anything is unclear.

Ramund

Honorable
Jun 4, 2015
Thanks so much!
Specific steps for a successful clone operation:
Verify the actual used space on the current drive is significantly below the size of the new SSD
Download and install Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration, if a Samsung SSD)
If you are cloning from a SATA drive to PCIe/NVMe, install the relevant driver for this new NVMe/PCIe drive.
Power off
Disconnect ALL drives except the current C and the new SSD
Power up
Run the Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration)
Select ALL the partitions on the existing C drive

If you are going from a smaller drive to a larger, by default, the target partition size will be the same as the Source. You probably don't want that
You can manipulate the size of the partitions on the target (larger)drive
Click on "Cloned Partition Properties", and you can specifiy the resulting partition size, to even include the whole thing

Click the 'Clone' button
Wait until it is done
When it finishes, power off
Disconnect ALL drives except for the new SSD. This is not optional.
This is to allow the system to try to boot from ONLY the SSD
Swap the SATA cables around so that the new drive is connected to the same SATA port as the old drive
Power up, and verify the BIOS boot order
If good, continue the power up

It should boot from the new drive, just like the old drive.
Maybe reboot a time or two, just to make sure.

If it works, and it should, all is good.

Later, reconnect the old drive and wipe all partitions on it.
This will probably require the commandline diskpart function, and the clean command.

Ask questions if anything is unclear.

Thank you!
Couple of questions.

First, from what you explained... Since I got a regular ssd, and the new is an nvme, I just ignore the use thw same data cables?

Also, I have many drives, a 4tb fast hard drive for steam, for example. Will the new nvme with windows recognise it and all? Or do I have to reibstall steam afterwards?
Also, on my C drive I have some programs, such as office, sony vegas, photoshop... Those will also work without an issue?

Thank you again for everything :D

USAFRet

Titan
Thanks so much!

Thank you!
Couple of questions.

First, from what you explained... Since I got a regular ssd, and the new is an nvme, I just ignore the use thw same data cables?

Also, I have many drives, a 4tb fast hard drive for steam, for example. Will the new nvme with windows recognise it and all? Or do I have to reibstall steam afterwards?
Also, on my C drive I have some programs, such as office, sony vegas, photoshop... Those will also work without an issue?

Thank you again for everything :D
Correct...ignore the cable portition.
But you MUST still physically disconnect the old drive before the first boot with the new drive.

Given a successful clone, ALL applications will still work. Incl whatever is on the other drive.

The clone is simply making a 1:1 copy on the new drive. Everything else is the same.

Ramund

Honorable
Jun 4, 2015
Correct...ignore the cable portition.
But you MUST still physically disconnect the old drive before the first boot with the new drive.

Given a successful clone, ALL applications will still work. Incl whatever is on the other drive.

The clone is simply making a 1:1 copy on the new drive. Everything else is the same.
Even steam that technically is installed on a different drive? :D

Ramund

Honorable
Jun 4, 2015
The Steam client, or Steam games?

Either way, it should work.
The new drive is a 1:1 representation of the old drive. It should work as before, just on the larger drive.
Hi! Me again (haha) I was checking the link page from reflect... Is there s difference between reflect 7 free and reflect 7 free commercial? :)

Ramund

Honorable
Jun 4, 2015
Not sure of all the differences between Home and Commercial.

I use the paid home version on my main system, Free on all the others.

I re-read everything and I vot a new question... 2 really.

You said this at somepoint: "If you are cloning from a SATA drive to PCIe/NVMe, install the relevant driver for this new NVMe/PCIe drive."

Is there a driver I should know about for my nvme? From what I've researched is pretty much plug and olay... But maybe I'm missing something?

Also, which partition is the main one? To give the extra space to that one and my Windows actually has the 1TB (aprox) of data.

That's it! Thanks again :) sorry for asking so many questions!