I need help making a 939 pin MB decision

Gennobi

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2006
Hi, everyone.

I'm in need for some advice with my motherboard. I had an Asus a8n-e 939 pin motherboard, the sata controller broke on it, so I sent it back to Asus. The problem is my school starts next week, so I need to get a new motherboard before Asus can refurbish the old one that I sent in.

I don't want to spend a lot, but I want something reliable and good. Preferably something that's been around for a while.

The only board I can find locally is the a8v-vm se. This board has virtually no reviews on the entire internet. Which I really can't believe, but I've searched. The boards older model the a8v-vm, is reported to have mannnny problems, so I'm hesitant to buy this board.

If anyone could recommend a next move to me, I would appreciate it.

My current setup is (was)

XP
Athlon 3700 g4 (san diego (sp?) model
xfx 8600 gt
2 gigs ocz ram
650 watt cooler master pure pro
Seagate sata 3.0 300 gigs

G.

A vender called "savingcost" listed on amazon.com has a new Tyan k8e tomcat nforce4 board for $38 plus shipping. It has the same chipset as your asus, plus a bonus: onboard video. Tyan makes good boards. Jump on this before it's gone.

Gennobi

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2006
I'm hearing the mobo has no overclocking capabilites. Can someone give me a quick definition of overclocking for the laymen?