Question I need help overclocking my ram to 3000 mhz

legendaryzero20

Prominent
Feb 4, 2018
I have a 3000 mhz ram currently running with 1064 mhz.What seems to be the problem?
systems specs are:
-A320M-HDV motherboard
-ryzen 5 1400 3.2ghz
-Geil superluce ddr4 3000mhz
-Gtx 1070 8gb

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
did you enable the overclocking profiles in the BIOS.
unless you tell the system to run the RAM at the desired speed it will run at its base speed of 2133.
2133/2=1067
Dual Data Rate. you are looking at speeds of nearly 1500 to get the RAM at its full speed

legendaryzero20

Prominent
Feb 4, 2018
did you enable the overclocking profiles in the BIOS.
unless you tell the system to run the RAM at the desired speed it will run at its base speed of 2133.
2133/2=1067
Dual Data Rate. you are looking at speeds of nearly 1500 to get the RAM at its full speed
I just enabled xmp on the bios and that happened

EndEffeKt_24

Commendable
Mar 27, 2019
Depends also on the board and the menory controller of the cpu. You got a low end motherboard with a low end first gen Ryzen. I guess your ram fails to get the docp profile stabilized and then falls back on jdec base specs.
You could try to add some voltage. Maybd it gets stable.

zx128k

Reputable
Anyway for Summit Ridge cpu's the motherboard supports DDR4 3200. I could not find the Geil superluce ddr4 3000mhz on the QVL but I was using a Module/model number code from Geil's website. I could see that Geil memory speeds up too 3000 were supported.
Memory QVL link

Of topic. The Asrock website states that the 3950X is supported for this board which is a 105watt cpu. Then states, "Supports CPU up to 65W " under specifications. Motherboard Specification Support cpu list

Last edited:

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Anybody thinking of putting a $750 cpu on a $30 mobo is short more than a few beans in their bag. Just saying.

Ryzen 1st gen had several issues with ram, so hopefully you have updated your bios, as subsequent bios updates microcode fixes cured almost all issues. Beyond that, pretty much on ram that used Samsung B-die chips like the gskill Trident-Z series in Cas14 had any real success at attaining 3200MHz. Almost all others topped out at 2933MHz or 2666MHz, depending on the ram itself and whether it was in the correct slot/s for the usage.

For a single stick, it needs to be in slot #2, or A2, starting at #1 from the cpu. For 2 sticks use #2/#4 or A2/B2. Your best chance will be to set XMP/DOCP, note the primary timings and voltage shown, switch to manual ram setting, plug in the XMP timings and voltage, but set the ram speed at 2933.

You should also be using Ryzen Master.

Reactions: Crosslhs82x2

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
There's plenty of decent kits, it all kinda depends on what you are looking for, cpu restrictions or rgb or specific color or don't really care at all.

For Ryzens I prefer the gskill Trident-Z, with the model numbers ending in X, like F4-3200C16D-16GTZRX, as those are tested and recommended for Ryzen by gskill. The others work perfectly fine, especially on Intels, but the chances of issues goes up. Corsair LPX, Corsair Vengeance/Pro, Patriot Elite, gskill flare-X, Kingston HyperX, Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer etc.

With Ryzen, you'll want to stick to Cas14 or Cas16, like the above mentioned F4-3200C16D-16GTZRX, the C16 being Cas or CL. Once you start getting into C18 or higher, you start loosing any gains you hoped to get by dual channel, faster ram etc.

Faster ram can help, the difference between 2133 and 3200MHz is @ 20% performance gain, but even that is only a band-aid vrs a more powerful and able cpu.

Last edited:

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
https://www.amazon.com/Patriot-Vipe...=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B0157UQ5A6

I just got this set for my ASRock B450m pro4-f. my ASRock BIOS allowed the full speed with no fuss or muss. inexpensive to boot. ryzen benefits from every scrap of bandwidth you can give it up to 3000 or so. these are on the QVL for the APU's. I do not think they were even made when they were testing the 3 series boards and ryzen1.
these worked in my board with a 1500x

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Oh no, the Viper 4 series has been around since DDR4 was released. Many of their lines are just an offshoot of the Vipers, my Patriot Intel Extreme Masters are nothing more than cherry-picked, super-binned Vipers.

Thing about the QVL is its just a sampling, it's not an entire list, just what they tested on their mobo and it worked. There's no guarantee that if you have that particular mobo with QVL listed ram, that it'll also work. It's a Qualified Vendor List, not a Qualified Ram List. There's only a handful of actual ram IC OEMs, and they sell their ic's to every vendor, who slaps a colored heatsink on it. Samsung B-die is found in Patriot elite, gskill Trident-Z and RipJaws V and several others, SkHynix is in Corsair's LPX, Vengeance, Patriot Vipers, Kingston HyperX, Gskill Aegis etc.

So basically testing a set of Trident-Z and a set of Patriot Elite at the same frequency, you've tested the same ram. So the QVL is just a sampling, using several popular vendors, with different IC OEMs. Chances are pretty good that whatever ram you have is actually on the QVL, just in a different form, vendor, kit, speed.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Just what whomever was running the testing grabbed I guess, mostly it's stuff just laying around, but can include kits bought for the purpose or even donated or prototypes. There's no real rhyme or reason to it, and what sucks tge most is the sticks not on the list, you've got no clue if they were tested and failed or just weren't tested.

If you figure just in the Trident Z modules, there's 6 colors and rgb, all have different model numbers. 12 or so different speeds, 4 kit sizes, 4 stick sizes, 4 Cas per speed etc, just in 1 model line there's 4600 or so individual model numbers, multiply that by the snipers, RipJaws, Aegis, value lines and a QVL including all of just gskill would be staggering. Then multiply that by all of Corsair, Adata, Patriot, Kingston, Crucial, and all the others and testing all that on every mobo by just 1 vendor would be a bankruptcy in the making.

So they grab 2 here, 3 there, few different sizes and speeds and call it a day, it works with popular ram, here's proof.

And then turn around and tell you that because they didn't test a particular model number, they can't help with issues, but won't tell you that the blue heatsink ram is identical to the red heatsink ram except that changes nothing but the color of the heatsink, therefore the model number.

That was about 20 years ago on an MSI mobo, with gskill ram. Called gskill, sent them a copy of MSI response, gskill mailed me a brand new set of the blue heatsink that was on the QVL with a number to call direct to a gskill rep and a note saying call that if there was any further issues and gskill would handle it from there.

Kingston, Crucial, Gskill, Patriot, Corsair. That's all I will use.

Last edited: