Question I need help overclocking

McJames

Commendable
Jul 24, 2017
I have an AMD FX-8320e and a ga-970a-ds3p motherboard. I wanted to overclock my CPU and so I did, with 3.90ghz and a vcore of +0.070. I ran windows 10 and it crashes immediately, later I had a message that said "boot failure detected" (the reason why I didnt oc to 4.0ghz was also because this message appeared when doing it). So, how I can fix this and what vcore is good?

I have an AMD FX-8320e and a ga-970a-ds3p motherboard. I wanted to overclock my CPU and so I did, with 3.90ghz and a vcore of +0.070. I ran windows 10 and it crashes immediately, later I had a message that said "boot failure detected" (the reason why I didnt oc to 4.0ghz was also because this message appeared when doing it). So, how I can fix this and what vcore is good?
3.9 Ghz is an incredibly mild OC for FX processor. You should be able to get 4.5-4.7Ghz fairly easy, with decent cooling, and up to 5 Ghz in rare cases. But pushing 5 Ghz will require an AIO to keep it cool...240mm preferred so you can keep the fan speed low.

But like zx128k suggests, the processor will require some voltage to do it. Don't be afraid, 1.4-1.45 and maybe even more at first. Push it up there to get it stable. Once you have it at a stable 4.4-4.6Ghz run some stress tests, first to see if cooling is anything near capable, second to start finding the lowest voltage that keeps it stable. All processors are different, you have to find yours and it's a purely experimental process.

I'm not that familiar with GA-970a-ds3p, i'm assuming it has a nice beefy VRM with heavily finned heatsink on the FET's. You'll need it for an 8 core FX.

1 optipn as i found out on my wifes which is a fx6300 on a gigabyte 970 sli mobo
Was to increase the core performance boost more or less the turbo boost as this mobo only has offset voltage for cpu voltage.
If I tried anything else it was a crash.

I increased the offset voltage a little and increased the turbo to like 23 to 23.5 it turbos to 4.7 on 1 to 3 cores per hwinfo64.

Hope something here may help
Good Luck!!!!!!

McJames

Commendable
Jul 24, 2017
Thanks for the suggestion everyone! But I'm confused, in the advanced voltage settings I only have 4 options: CPU Vcore, NB core, DRAM Voltage and Vcore Loadline Calibration, my problem is that my CPU Vcore limit is +0.775 which makes me confuse. Also, why does the ''boot failure detection'' poops up? Does this message has to do anything with the voltage, or the ghz of my cpu?

Thanks for the suggestion everyone! But I'm confused, in the advanced voltage settings I only have 4 options: CPU Vcore, NB core, DRAM Voltage and Vcore Loadline Calibration, my problem is that my CPU Vcore limit is +0.775 which makes me confuse. Also, why does the ''boot failure detection'' poops up? Does this message has to do anything with the voltage, or the ghz of my cpu?

Do you know the differences in the 4 voltage options?

For overclocking your CPU you're interested in CPU Vcore and VCore Loadline Calibration. The latter is also known as LLC, you'll see that a lot.

I think you only have offset option. That's an 'adder' to the base VCore voltage. Since the base VCore is constantly varying it's really hard to say what it is...so you have to experiment a little to get a feel for it. Boot with no offset and go into HWInfo and see what your VCore voltage is. Restart, put in a moderate positive offset and then boot and see what it changed to. You'll get a feel for how much it's rising.

LLC is a way to adjust for voltage droop as a processor starts drawing more power.

If you're getting 'boot failure detection' then it's not stable, probably needs more voltage.

This is pretty basic stuff... here's some more information to get you going..

Reactions: Crosslhs82x2