[SOLVED] I need help picking out water cooling parts

FlameDrop13

Reputable
Feb 6, 2017
I wanted to start water cooling my build. i didn't decide on whether i wanted hard or soft tubes because i thought soft would be easier but it can leak easier and hard tubing would be harder to do and the chance of leaking are less than soft but im afraid that the tubes will cut the o ring. so idk if any resevoir/pump/waterblocks can go with any tubing size, what tubes are the best, and what fitting fit. If i have to i might get a watercooling kit or go to the ekwb config.

Solution
Actually, the tendency for either to leak is about the same, which is minimal if both are setup correctly. Hard tubing can be more difficult and therefore leak for someone who has never worked with hardline before...this is because making tubing bends can often leave sections of tubing that are not correctly aligned for the fittings, cause some tension or 'pulling' and cause them to unseat.

You will need to decide the tubing choice, then determine the correct inside diameter and outside diameter and then select the correct fittings from there.

You MUST use the correct fittings for the tubing you have chosen; they are not interchangeable due to how hard tubing seats on fittings vs how soft tubing fits.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Actually, the tendency for either to leak is about the same, which is minimal if both are setup correctly. Hard tubing can be more difficult and therefore leak for someone who has never worked with hardline before...this is because making tubing bends can often leave sections of tubing that are not correctly aligned for the fittings, cause some tension or 'pulling' and cause them to unseat.

You will need to decide the tubing choice, then determine the correct inside diameter and outside diameter and then select the correct fittings from there.

You MUST use the correct fittings for the tubing you have chosen; they are not interchangeable due to how hard tubing seats on fittings vs how soft tubing fits.

Solution

FlameDrop13

Reputable
Feb 6, 2017
if i were to to hard lined tubing i would prob have to buy a lot of tubing to get practice because right now i dont have anyone to show me. i watched YouTube videos on how to do it and everything like that. generally i think hard tubing looks wayy better and im going to go with that. i kinda know the sizes but what is the best size?

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Hard tubing bends takes a bit of practice and honestly, I have not tried myself. It's on the list, but I haven't got to the point of actually doing it.

Tubing size doesn't matter much if you are at least 3/8" ID (9.5mm?) or larger. There is minimal flow rate and cooling difference at 3/8" (9.5mm) and larger diameter unless you get to 3/4" ID or above, but normal watercooling loops really do not exceed 1/2" (13mm) ID.

FlameDrop13

Reputable
Feb 6, 2017

how about fittings

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
You have to choose fittings for either hardline or normal tubing. Fittings for normal tubing cannot be used for hardline, or vice versa, but as long as you have the correct ID/OD of the fittings, you should be fine with whatever tubing you choose and any brand of fitting...the dimensions are the most important (other than the type of fitting, soft tubing or hardline).