[SOLVED] I need help powering my power graphics card*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 2, 2019
I have 2 gtx 560's but my psu only has 2 6-pin cables
and each graphics card needs 2 6-pin cables so how can i power both of them for sli compatibility??

Last edited:
Solution
so that's only a 65w cpu + 2x 150w gpu + another 100w for misc other parts. for roughly 465w need. so a quality 550w psu is enough if it has the right connections. unlikely though so a higher power unit would be needed to get the connections.

give me a few minutes and i can have a look and see what might fit the bill

delaro

Judicious
Ambassador
Get a new power supply or use the Molex to 6 pin adapters " Not recommended on this forum". The adapter uses two Molex per 6 pin VGA plug so you would need 4 Molex which you probably don't have.

I'll also assume you meant 2 and not 22 correct?

Insane Potatoz

Reputable
Sep 22, 2019
actually i have 4 molex and 8 sata power but will the adapters end up hurting the graphics card im trying to power in any sort of way??
Probably not. I build a really cheap computer one time the utilized a dual molex to 6 pin converter to power my 8600 GTS. Should work fine, you can pick those up on amazon or eBay or whatnot, but if you are really worried, then just buy a new power supply.

delaro

Judicious
Ambassador
actually i have 4 molex and 8 sata power but will the adapters end up hurting the graphics card im trying to power in any sort of way??

Well think of it this way... Why would a manufacturer give them to you with every graphics card while not including a disclaimer on not to use them? :unsure: Some of the very cheap versions you get on eBay I wouldn't consider using but the OEM ones are beefier with solid crimps and better wiring. I also probably would not consider using them for some $1000 GPU that is overclocked and being pushed to the max 110% of the time.

Insane Potatoz

Reputable
Sep 22, 2019
the first question that should have been asked is -------

What psu do you have now?

suggesting adapters and such is a terrible idea in almost every case,. suggesting them without even knowing what psu the op has, is just plain dangerous and unforgivable!!!
Well I’ve had an adapter for some time and it hasn’t caused be any problems. He can do whatever he wants to, I’m just speaking from a bit of experience. I would say that replacing that PSU is the best option, but again, I’ve had no trouble with adapters, and a I use them all the time.
Also, the fact that there are lots of spare molex and sata cables left unused suggests that the system can handle more than what is currently being used.

bignastyid

Titan
Well I’ve had an adapter for some time and it hasn’t caused be any problems. He can do whatever he wants to, I’m just speaking from a bit of experience. I would say that replacing that PSU is the best option, but again, I’ve had no trouble with adapters, and a I use them all the time.
Also, the fact that there are lots of spare molex and sata cables left unused suggests that the system can handle more than what is currently being used.
So you are going to judge what an unknown psu is capable of based on what extra connectors it has? That's a recipe for disaster.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
i'm not sure you fully understand how it all works. you got lucky with an adapter despite clearly not understanding what you were doing. this does not mean everyone will have such an experience.

that second dual 6-pin will be asking for up to 150w of power. a psu that is already near its limit would not be able to provide such power. a low quality unit will not only not provide the power, but could also be a fire hazard when overtaxed!!

we see many junk psu's on this forum that claim all kinds of power, yet we know they don't deliver. having a bunch of extra connections in no way means they can deliver the power claimed.

best idea is to look at the psu and what it can do, what the system currently is now, and what you hope to make it do next. all that put together needs to be considered to see what is a good idea and what is not.

so we ask the op again :)

what psu do you have and what are the system specs right now?

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
a quality 600w psu should have 4 6+2 pin pcie connections. the reason it does not is because thermaltake knows it can't actually provide that power. so they left off the connections. using a different connection does not mean there is all of a sudden extra untapped power. it all comes from the same place and no amount of extra connections can create extra power.

you did not provide the model number but from past experience, i know they tend to overpower the lower power rails to claim some high number. the 12v power available is what you need to be worried about which i am willing to bet is rather low on your psu (an educated guess, but thermaltake does not make very good psu's overall)

again it is not the claimed wattage of the psu but rather what it actually provides on the 12v rail as well as built in protections and other qualities. so just upping the wattage on a still junk unit solves little. there are some quality choices available that are not very expensive.

what cpu are you planning on using? that is the second highest power user after the gpu. then can do some math and see what may be needed. can suggest some choices for you easy enough based on what is available to you locally.

a link to a local shop would help in seeing what is available to you at a a decent price.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
I've had a few over the years...it used to be pretty common. I think GPU vendors moved away from it when PSU makers started shipping units with more than one PCI-E plug.

they moved away from it when gpu's become very power hungry. wasn't so bad when they only used 50 extra watts but they know it is not a good idea to try to provide 150w+ from those connections. hence the objections we have about using them most of the time. all the signs point to them being a bad idea yet they still sell them so people think they are still a good idea.

Nov 2, 2019
a quality 600w psu should have 4 6+2 pin pcie connections. the reason it does not is because thermaltake knows it can't actually provide that power. so they left off the connections. using a different connection does not mean there is all of a sudden extra untapped power. it all comes from the same place and no amount of extra connections can create extra power.

you did not provide the model number but from past experience, i know they tend to overpower the lower power rails to claim some high number. the 12v power available is what you need to be worried about which i am willing to bet is rather low on your psu (an educated guess, but thermaltake does not make very good psu's overall)

again it is not the claimed wattage of the psu but rather what it actually provides on the 12v rail as well as built in protections and other qualities. so just upping the wattage on a still junk unit solves little. there are some quality choices available that are not very expensive.

what cpu are you planning on using? that is the second highest power user after the gpu. then can do some math and see what may be needed. can suggest some choices for you easy enough based on what is available to you locally.

a link to a local shop would help in seeing what is available to you at a a decent price.
I three 2100 3.2 ish ghz

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
so that's only a 65w cpu + 2x 150w gpu + another 100w for misc other parts. for roughly 465w need. so a quality 550w psu is enough if it has the right connections. unlikely though so a higher power unit would be needed to get the connections.

give me a few minutes and i can have a look and see what might fit the bill

Solution

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
this is a decent budget psu that can handle your needs easy enough

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/Fd...onze-certified-atx-power-supply-cp-9020121-na

or for 5 more bucks you can get the 650w model

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/3F2rxr

has 2x 8 pins which can be split into 2x 6-pins each for the cards with no worries. same amount of power delivered. that's a cheap adapter that won't cause any harm since it only splits a 150w connection into 2x 75w ones. same overall power and easily handled.

plenty of others but depends on what is available locally if you know what they sell.

Nov 2, 2019
this is a decent budget psu that can handle your needs easy enough

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/Fd...onze-certified-atx-power-supply-cp-9020121-na

or for 5 more bucks you can get the 650w model

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/3F2rxr

has 2x 8 pins which can be split into 2x 6-pins each for the cards with no worries. same amount of power delivered. that's a cheap adapter that won't cause any harm since it only splits a 150w connection into 2x 75w ones. same overall power and easily handled.

plenty of others but depends on what is available locally if you know what they sell.
Is there anything a little cheaper ?? I don’t have a job and I get Money from entrepreneur fairs btw your dealing with a 10 year old genius

Status
Not open for further replies.