[SOLVED] I need help recovering data using EaseUS - it won't write onto my empty drive

coroloro

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2005
I have had a series of mishaps- all during a time when my father, who served as a Colonel and doctor in the military until 88 and then taught out of love at USC School of Medicin in SC even when he could have been head of psychiatry at MAYO clinic, he remained for us. It is a hard time, and I really want my computer working properly now. So much so that I formatted main SSD hard disk because windows was causing so many issues, and the dead motherboard that I had a good computer store repair, they went above and beyond to help me, but the fact is something was wrong in it (be it a virus or, more likely, the fact I had been on the Microsoft "Insider" team for a while and it is possible that builds which were not meant to exist, did, in my computer. I have finally thrown away the remnants for our main computer.

However, I accidentally chose to do a 'quick format' on the wrong drives when I was installing windows. This does not seem to be a problem with the data retrieval software I have- much of it includes precious memories and pictures of my fatherwho just died of Alzhiemer's and cancer last week, and my son who is about to visit at age 14 for the first time in over two years because of our finances. He loves computers and I have an Oculus- would love to get a really good graphics card so he could experience it fully, but right now I am just trying to get this to work. I also got an older motherboard to stick with my original processor, but I am frustrated at the lack of apparent speed. I am not sure why my computer acts sluggish but- it now has 64 gigs of DDR4 RAM (and I was told my motherboard is quad channelled) so I want my son to get to have a fantastic two weeks.

Please help- right now it is just saying that the western digital "my book" drive lacks the space for it, however, that cannot be possible- as it is 8 terabytes, and the drive I want to recover was maybe three terabytes. I made a smaller partition of 3.9 gigs but it is still saying it lacks the space. I do not understand.

Solution
How large is the biggest of the files that you are trying to transfer?
I'm suspecting your external is formatted as fat32 which does not support files over 4gb in size.
If you have the space, copy everything off of it (that you want to save) to another drive and then reformat it as exFat or NTFS. Exfat works on more other devices, like tv's and Macs, then NTFS does.

Ralston18

Titan
Verify: You do have your data backed up elsewhere and that data is proven to be recoverable and readable - correct?

Are you able to provide more information about your computer's spec: E.g., hardware and OS?

Overall, the present hardware configuration may not be up to Oculus with the required performance level.

Lastly, I am moving your post to Storage. Data and space problems/requirements are best addressed therein.

coroloro

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2005
PS- My father passed away last Wednesday, I do not think I conveyed that. I need to get these videos, pictures, and content. And I think I can do it with help- but I certainly cannot afford it. I also think it is salvageable, so I just don't understand what is wrong here. I apologise if I sounded confusing. My father died a Colonel of the US Army, he was a doctor and child/adolescent psychiatrist and he worked hard to help heal people coming back from Nam but more so, their children and families. He then spent decades here - because my mother wanted roots- turning down positions like head of psychiatry at MAYO clinic, and a Hawaii opportunity we really wanted to go on, for the sake of family and being forward-thinking. Yet because he taught in South Carolina, many doctors got to learn at a level they might never have been able to begin to afford or access thanks to his choice to remain. He loved to teach, that was his real gifting, and I hope that I can get this outdated computer back in shape and working well- he didn't see his grandson for two years as well before he died, and because my ex fought him coming despite my legal rights, now my son never saw his grandfather to say goodbye and, more imporant, he never got to be comforted by seeing him. He would have recognised him through the Alziemers and did, in fact. He was a humble and honourable man- who started with little, and lived the American 'dream' even when he was told there was no way he could be a doctor coming from a coal mining family- but he did, and he got five board certifications (psychiatry, child and adolescent psychiatry, neuropsychiatry, forensic psychiatry, psychoanalysis, and drug and alcohol rehabilitation.

He was an amazing man- I used to want a computer programmer for a father, but now I do have a Dutch father by marriage overseas who is one- and honestly, I know that he enabled me to be who I am and just wanted to be with us and see us happy. The theatre and acting being one venue, but he loved reading so of course he was delighted when I grew to love it as well (if sci fi and fantasy, speculative fiction). He grew up looking up and dreaming of the moon: one day I hope to touch it for him. God willing.

coroloro

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2005
Verify: You do have your data backed up elsewhere and that data is proven to be recoverable and readable - correct?

Are you able to provide more information about your computer's spec: E.g., hardware and OS?

Overall, the present hardware configuration may not be up to Oculus with the required performance level.

Lastly, I am moving your post to Storage. Data and space problems/requirements are best addressed therein.
I did not have the finances due to disability to afford a drive just to hold backup data, since the picture files are large- until I can set this up and get my bluray drive burning blurays, I will not have any backup of this data of my father. It is irresplaceable. As well as pictures of trips and events over the last years that have great value. Mixed in with that is Steam games- the drive I accidentally clicked format on was my 'data' drive where I used things from, I had another for storage, and my SSD was the primary.

coroloro

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2005
Windows 10 Pro 64 bt
Gigabyte Technology Co Ltd
Default string
BIOS F23
Professor Intel Core i7-5820K CPU @ 3.3.0HGz (12 CPUs) `3.3 ghz
Memory 65536MB RAM

1 SSD primary (system drive)
1 Bluray read/write (slightly bent connector pin but works apparently)
GeForce 970
3TB SATA drive
Nvidia GeForce 970.

Once it works well again Oculus Rift will be used with it. I may upgrade it to a better GPU.

popatim

Titan
How large is the biggest of the files that you are trying to transfer?
I'm suspecting your external is formatted as fat32 which does not support files over 4gb in size.
If you have the space, copy everything off of it (that you want to save) to another drive and then reformat it as exFat or NTFS. Exfat works on more other devices, like tv's and Macs, then NTFS does.

Solution

Ralston18

Titan
I did a quick check on the hardware specs required for Oculus Rift. It appears that your system will support Oculus Rift but the immediate matter of concern is to save and/or recover whatever family data may be recoverable. And to do so without causing further data loss. Steam games are not and should not be a concern.

Suggest that you hold off on any upgrades such as a new GPU: You may need to budget for an extra drive.

Currently you have 3 drives (verify my understanding):

1) SSD Primary (boot) - make and model?

2) 3 TB SATA drive (accidently quick formatted) internal data drive. Any partitions? Make and model?

3) External Storage (WD My Book) 8 TB with a possible 3.9 TB partition.

Are you able to run Disk Management and capture the window showing all drives (0, 1, and 2) and post that window?

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2173703/post-images-tomshardware-guide.html

It is very important that the disks and disk partitioning are understood.

right now it is just saying that the western digital "my book" drive lacks the space for it, however, that cannot be possible- as it is 8 terabytes, and the drive I want to recover was maybe three terabytes. I made a smaller partition of 3.9 gigs but it is still saying it lacks the space. I do not understand.
What is "it"?

Is "it" some data recovery software? If so, and if you have performed a "raw" scan, then this software will undoubtedly find remnants of deleted files. The sum of actual files and deleted files could easily exceed 8TB.

Can you show us the Partitions window in DMDE?

https://dmde.com/download.html

Edit:

Sorry, I just noticed "EaseUS" in the title.

Last edited: