[SOLVED] I need help recovering my USB drive

Maq___

Honorable
Nov 15, 2015
Hello,

one day I was making a bootable Win USB with Rufus ,and cancelled it while it was doing the bootable USB.

Now a huge space of the USB is occupied by the Win files,and the USB is write protected so I can't format it.

I've tried chkdsk but it is giving me : The type of the file system is NTFS. Windows cannot run disk checking on this volume because it is write protected.

If I try to clean it with diskpart it is giving me: DiskPart has encountered an error: The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error.

I scanned the USB with CheckFlash and it showed me only one error : CRC.

Please tell me how to recover this USB.

Solution
You need to clear the Read only attribute in diskpart before you clean the flash drive.
So:
Diskpart> List Disk> Select Disk> Attributes disk clear read only
- you should get a message that it was cleared successfully.
Now do a > Attributes Disk
- you should see 'Read only' set to NO

Now proceed with the clean and formatting.
D

Deleted member 14196

Usb drive probably failed. Try it in another PC and if you can’t get it to work then you need another USB stick

D

Deleted member 14196

It sounds like you already tried to format it and that failed so I would just repeat those tests on another PC to verify that it’s not your PC that has the problem and prove that the USB is faulty. After that if all that fails you have proven the USB is defective now it needs to be replaced. There isn’t anything else you can do to get it working again

It is very common to see USB drives fail. I have seen many of them fail

popatim

Titan
You need to clear the Read only attribute in diskpart before you clean the flash drive.
So:

Solution

Maq___

Honorable
Nov 15, 2015
So:

I've already tried that,but it doesn't work. I mean it removes the read only, but the drive still reports that it is write protected.

Edit: I finally fixed it ! :)

Last edited: