Question I need help regarding my current PC rig

m4di

Reputable
Oct 19, 2018
Hello, I currently own a PC with the following specifications:

CPU: Intel i5 6500 3.2GHz LGA1151
CPU FAN: Stock Intel i5 6500 3.2GHz
GPU: MSI GTX 1060 6GB GAMING X GDDR5
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB LPX 2666MHz DDR4 (2x8GB)
PSU: XFX 550W 80+ Gold Full Modular
MOBO: MSI Z170A M3 GAMING ATX
MONITOR: ASUS VG248QE 144Hz
CASE: BitFenix Colossus Red

Notes:
  1. I leave my PC for days if not sometimes weeks open.
  2. I have a dual monitor setup.
  3. I have some stuttering issues with games.
  4. I am running Windows 10 64bit.
  5. I haven't cleaned my PC at all and it's been like that since I got it (Mid 2017).
  6. I did not overclock anything at all.

Questions:
  1. What is worth upgrading? I have stuttering issues in some games such as CS:GO.
  2. Is this PC going to last long with such user usage? Like what is the life span of this rig?
  3. If I get an i7 6700K CPU, would that make a huge difference? Unclocked and Overclocked.
  4. Should I overclock my GPU?
  5. If I get an i7 6700K CPU, should I overclock it if I have a good fan?
  6. I am thinking of getting an i7 6700K, what is a good fan for it if I want to overclock and if I don't want to overclock.
  7. If you have any idea on how to fix stuttering in CS:GO when players appear, that would be helpful...

With a bios update, that board should support a 7700k. But good luck finding a decently priced 6700/7700k. Used they're going for upwards of $350. On occasion Amazon will have a new 7700k for around $300(US).

Being both of those would be faster, and have more threads, they should help a little with stuttering.

As long as temps are kept in check it should last a good while with your usage. But is there any specific reason the pc has to stay running?

You could definitely try and oc the gpu. Not going to hurt anything as long as it's done correctly, it's stable, and temps are good. A little free performance, may not be huge, but anything helps.

If you get a k cpu you might as well overclock it. Just make sure you get a decent cooler and again keep temps in check. A good air cooler like a noctua would be great. Or an aio if you want to go that route. I like water cooling, but know a lot of people who prefer the simplicity of air, and you can't really beat the performance of a top tier noctua. If you do not overclock it, you could probably get away with a hyper 212.

For the price of a 6700/7700k, you may be able to get a ryzen 5 and mobo. Just reuse your current ram.

m4di

Reputable
Oct 19, 2018
With a bios update, that board should support a 7700k. But good luck finding a decently priced 6700/7700k. Used they're going for upwards of $350. On occasion Amazon will have a new 7700k for around $300(US).

Being both of those would be faster, and have more threads, they should help a little with stuttering.

As long as temps are kept in check it should last a good while with your usage. But is there any specific reason the pc has to stay running?

You could definitely try and oc the gpu. Not going to hurt anything as long as it's done correctly, it's stable, and temps are good. A little free performance, may not be huge, but anything helps.

If you get a k cpu you might as well overclock it. Just make sure you get a decent cooler and again keep temps in check. A good air cooler like a noctua would be great. Or an aio if you want to go that route. I like water cooling, but know a lot of people who prefer the simplicity of air, and you can't really beat the performance of a top tier noctua. If you do not overclock it, you could probably get away with a hyper 212.

For the price of a 6700/7700k, you may be able to get a ryzen 5 and mobo. Just reuse your current ram.

Are you serious regarding the support for 7th generation Intel CPUs? I thought I had to buy a Z270A for a 7th generation Intel CPU.

The computer is running for no reason, basically, I leave it open with programs like Chrome, WhatsApp, Skype and Discord..

If OCing the GPU won't make a huge difference like +50 or +100 fps then I won't OC it.

I want some help with compatibility,

You already know my specifications that are displayed in the post.

I want to upgrade my CPU by buying an i7 6700K, the CPU socket is compatible with this, both are LGA1151, what other stuff should I check for to know if the CPU is compatible with the MOBO?

CPU: https://uae.souq.com/ae-en/intel-co...1-skylake-6th-generation-processor-9127050/i/

I want to buy a CPU fan cooler for this CPU ^^^, is this a good CPU cooler?

CPU Cooler: https://uae.microless.com/product/d...VHENUeY6AbYpus9LQd-PSA6LUXLTD3kIaAjuJEALw_wcB

In the CPU Cooler link it says this:
For Intel LGA20XX/LGA1366/LGA115X

My CPU is the LGA1151 so it is compatible, right? If not, then what other stuff should I check for speaking of compatibility?

Also, should I get a paste for the CPU? If yes, recommend me one from http://souq.com

Yes I am serious about 7th gen support. With the most current bios update the 7700k is compatible with that board. And will slightly outperform the 6700k. That being said the 6700k is not a bad choice, but if priced similar, I would go with the newer part. If you do get it just make sure before you install to update the bios, available on the msi website.

That cooler is a decent cooler and should definitely be a solid choice for overclocking.

You definitely will not see those kind of gains by overclocking the gpu. More like 5-10, maybe 20 at most.

The cooler should come with paste preapplied, but if you want some slightly better paste. Or just to have some around in case you need to remove and reinstall,

https://uae.souq.com/ae-en/arctic-m...nd-4-grams-23515420/i/?aff-ident=1101l69pNQDY

https://uae.souq.com/ae-en/thermal-...aste-5-5-g-45214072/i/?aff-ident=1101l69pNQDY this is what I use, but it's not necessary. Its good paste though.

If I were spending that much on a CPU, I would be inclinded to move to an 8th or 9th gen chip and buy a new MB. The MB doesn't have to be expensive. You can reuse your RAM and everything else. I'm wondering if a clean install of Windows might help a lot too.

m4di

Reputable
Oct 19, 2018
Yes I am serious about 7th gen support. With the most current bios update the 7700k is compatible with that board. And will slightly outperform the 6700k. That being said the 6700k is not a bad choice, but if priced similar, I would go with the newer part. If you do get it just make sure before you install to update the bios, available on the msi website.

That cooler is a decent cooler and should definitely be a solid choice for overclocking.

You definitely will not see those kind of gains by overclocking the gpu. More like 5-10, maybe 20 at most.

The cooler should come with paste preapplied, but if you want some slightly better paste. Or just to have some around in case you need to remove and reinstall,

https://uae.souq.com/ae-en/arctic-m...nd-4-grams-23515420/i/?aff-ident=1101l69pNQDY

https://uae.souq.com/ae-en/thermal-...aste-5-5-g-45214072/i/?aff-ident=1101l69pNQDY this is what I use, but it's not necessary. Its good paste though.

The difference between an i7 6700k and an i7 7700k is $72.45

I am not sure if it worth spending extra money to get an i7 7700k if the difference will not be that much.

Also, does overclocking affect the lifespan of the CPU? What about the GPU overclocking?
I am going to get the paste of the first link that you have provided since I might travel to my hometown for 2 months, I will be disassembling the entire PC.

I am new to liquid cooling and this CPU Cooler is actually a liquid cooler, now does it already have liquid inside already or do I have to put liquid inside of the liquid cooler?

Last edited:

m4di

Reputable
Oct 19, 2018
If I were spending that much on a CPU, I would be inclined to move to an 8th or 9th gen chip and buy a new MB. The MB doesn't have to be expensive. You can reuse your RAM and everything else. I'm wondering if a clean install of Windows might help a lot too.

Since the difference is not that much between 6th gen and 7th gen, 7th gen and 8th gen, I don't think I will ever upgrade the MOBO since I am just a 16-year old that saves money to upgrade parts of my PC, because I will be forced to spend at least $120 for the MOBO and $500 for the CPU, but anyways I am looking forward to upgrading my rig after I finish high school, once I get more allowance or when I start working, my main priority would be the expenses then directly the PC, the most important thing is that I am upgrading from an i5 6500 to an i7 6700K, the 3 new things in this upgrade will be the new Intel i7, the 7th gen, and the overclocking.

Since the difference is not that much between 6th gen and 7th gen, 7th gen and 8th gen, I don't think I will ever upgrade the MOBO since I am just a 16-year old that saves money to upgrade parts of my PC, because I will be forced to spend at least $120 for the MOBO and $500 for the CPU, but anyways I am looking forward to upgrading my rig after I finish high school, once I get more allowance or when I start working, my main priority would be the expenses then directly the PC, the most important thing is that I am upgrading from an i5 6500 to an i7 6700K, the 3 new things in this upgrade will be the new Intel i7, the 7th gen, and the overclocking.

Well, an i7 8700 is $295 versus the i7 7700K mentioned above at the price of $350. A nice Asrock B360 or B365 mATX MB would run $85-$90.