Question I need help regarding upgrading from i5-2500 to i7-3700/i5-3570k

Jun 6, 2019
Hey guys, first time posting so I hope I'll get the much needed help.

I want to upgrade from my old i5-2500 to a bit better i7-3700 (non-K) or i5-3570k. My motherboard is the Gigabyte GA-Z68P-DS3.
I need to upgrade my BIOS, and I found the update on the Gigabyte website that would let me install 3rd generation Ivy Bridge CPU. Downloaded it and it's a common application .exe file.
So my question is, do I just run it and install or is it more complicated like that? And which of these two CPU-s are better? The price difference is small.
Thanks in advance!

Jun 6, 2019
When you go to upgrade the BIOS.....follow the instructions from the MB manufacturer EXACTLY and don't power off during the process or you risk causing your MB to fail.

as far as which CPU is faster....the i7 is.

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Core+i7-3770+@+3.40GHz

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?id=828
Ok, I'll go for the non-clockable i7-3700. But regarding the BIOS upgrade to make it compatible with 3rd gen Ivy Bridge. Do i just install the .exe file or do I need to something more complicated?

Ok, I'll go for the non-clockable i7-3700. But regarding the BIOS upgrade to make it compatible with 3rd gen Ivy Bridge. Do i just install the .exe file or do I need to something more complicated?
Look in the MB manual for the instructions on how to update the BIOS. Different MBs have different procedures.

(For instance....on one of my ASUS MBs you can update the BIOS three different ways.)

Then follow those instructions EXACTLY.

Jun 6, 2019
Look in the MB manual for the instructions on how to update the BIOS. Different MBs have different procedures.

(For instance....on one of my ASUS MBs you can update the BIOS three different ways.)

Then follow those instructions EXACTLY.
Found it is easily updated with the @bios application. But it doesen't state anything about the specific update for the 3rd generation CPUs. I'm gonna hope it's automatically installed. Thank you!