[SOLVED] I need help repairing Sapphire Toxic R9 270x ?

Aug 25, 2021
Hi there everyone, was hoping someone could help me with this.

Long story short I bought this card knowing it didnt work for cheap, hoping it would be a bios or driver issue as the seller claimed it turned on. I see it more as an interesting learning experience to try fix it. Upon recieving it I opened it up and saw it had been taken apart by someone perhaps more clueless than me xD, and it has two blown caps, as well as the dual bios switch ripped off the board (see pics attached).

I feel pretty confident that I can resolder on some new caps, and I know I can source them, will also need to get some thermal pads etc, however I am concerned about the Dual Bios switch, as I dont know which leads I would need to short (in absence of the button) to get into a bios. I tried looking for a board schematic but dont know enough about them to find one. I'm not the most clued up on wiring diagrams and hardware level workings of PCBs but I figure theres no harm in killing an already dead GPU haha.

Any assistance or Advice would be greatly appreciated.

Solution

Long story short I bought this card knowing it didnt work for cheap, hoping it would be a bios or driver issue as the seller claimed it turned on. I see it more as an interesting learning experience to try fix it. Upon recieving it I opened it up and saw it had been taken apart by someone perhaps more clueless than me xD, and it has two blown caps, as well as the dual bios switch ripped off the board (see pics attached).

I feel pretty confident that I can resolder on some new caps, and I know I can source them, will also need to get some thermal pads etc, however I am concerned about the Dual Bios switch, as I dont know which leads I would...

I feel pretty confident that I can resolder on some new caps, and I know I can source them, will also need to get some thermal pads etc, however I am concerned about the Dual Bios switch, as I dont know which leads I would need to short (in absence of the button) to get into a bios. I tried looking for a board schematic but dont know enough about them to find one. I'm not the most clued up on wiring diagrams and hardware level workings of PCBs but I figure theres no harm in killing an already dead GPU haha.

Any assistance or Advice would be greatly appreciated.
Best way to resolder the caps is by looking into the diagram and knowing which is the exact caps for the ones that blowed, also you must know wether the pcb trace is damaged or not. A donor card with the same lineup of the pcb or the same exact gpu is the one best bet you want to salvage the parts from.

Solution
Aug 25, 2021
Best way to resolder the caps is by looking into the diagram and knowing which is the exact caps for the ones that blowed, also you must know wether the pcb trace is damaged or not. A donor card with the same lineup of the pcb or the same exact gpu is the one best bet you want to salvage the parts from.
Thanks, do you by chance have any idea where I can look to find a diagram??