Question I need help to build my usb hard drive partition table manually, professional service is too expensive.

chocolade13091972

Reputable
Feb 7, 2019
I have wd external usb hard drive and for some reason the partition table of the hard drive deleted and instead everything is zeros now.
I could reach my files on the hard drive but to make it working on the desktop again i need somehow to rebuild the hard drive partition table manually.

I have no clue how to do it and I know proffessional service can be expensive, even $500!

[redacted]
my hard drive is 2tb size capacity.

here are some images about the hard drive. the back of the hard drive and some from the management:

I also have to mention that using testdisk i can access the files on the hard disk and even copy them. so my plan is to but a new 2TB size hard drive and copy the files all the content to it for a backup and then to format with a new partition on the old hard drive. but I'm opening for more suggestions.

screenshot of the testdisk:

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Disk drive(s): make, model, capacity, how full?

Is the data on the external USB hard drive backed up and stored somewhere else?

Regarding "I could reach my files on the hard drive" does that mean that you can see and open the files even though the files are no longer partitioned?

How many partitions were created?

Open Disk Management.

Expand the window to show all disk drives, including the external drive, and related information.

Take a screenshot and post the screenshot here via imgur (www.imgur.com).

chocolade13091972

Reputable
Feb 7, 2019
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Disk drive(s): make, model, capacity, how full?

Is the data on the external USB hard drive backed up and stored somewhere else?

Regarding "I could reach my files on the hard drive" does that mean that you can see and open the files even though the files are no longer partitioned?

How many partitions were created?

Open Disk Management.

Expand the window to show all disk drives, including the external drive, and related information.

Take a screenshot and post the screenshot here via imgur (www.imgur.com).

here are some screenshots. not sure how to show the hard disk information since the windows can't recognize it. but this is on the back of the hard disk and in the management:

and a screenshot of the testdik software i'm using now:

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
The external drive being Western Digital, 2 TB. USB. Shown as Disk 2 via Disk Management .

And being used to backup the host computer's C: and D: drives - correct?

Take a screen shot that shows the full Disk Management window and post accordingly.

Questions:

What backup software/process are you using?

Does the WD drive have its' own power supply or it the drive being powered via its' USB connection to the host computer?

And verify: you can see files on the WD drive and can open them (or some of them) accordingly.

Not sure overall about what has and/or is happening.

However this thread is in the Storage Category and any additional information may faciliate other comments and suggestions.

If you run analyse in testdisk and it finds the old partition list then it lets you write that info back to the disk and all partitions will be normal again.
DMDE will do that too.
If you get the partitions back you can then back everything up if you want to.