I need help to determine requirements and pick Processor, RAM, Motherboard, and Graphics Card

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Computersloeber

Distinguished
So you don't want to wait for the i5 4690K (devils canyon)? If you want to go for the 4690K I would pick a VII ranger as it is designed for the 4690K
And if you plan on getting an i5 4690 you can get a cheaper non-OC motherboard but I would not suggest this.
If you plan on getting an i5 4670K I would also suggest the VII ranger as the Z97 chip-set offers a bit better OC and cooling of the CPU.
It comes with a lot of cool features as stated on the site.

Chad Fuller

Reputable
May 20, 2014
THIS IS WHERE I'M AT SO FAR:
CPU - Intel Core i5-4690 (K when it comes out)
CPU Cooler - Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Sleeve Bearing
Motherboard - Asus Maximus VII Ranger
RAM - Kingston or Gskill (8GB)
Storage - Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk
Storage - Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Graphics Card - GeForce GTX 780 3GB
Case - Corsair Obsidian Series 650D Mid-Tower
Power Supply - Power Supply: XFX ProSeries 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
Optical Drive - Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer
OS - Windows 8.1 full version (32 and 64 bit)

Cost: Approximately $1,500 dollars (prices will change by the time i order the parts which will be in September)
I will eventually be getting a second GTX 780, and I am considering overclocking.

I am also considering getting:
An ASUS MX239H 23" Monitor
A Razer Deathstalker Expert Gaming Keyboard
A Razer DeathAdder Mouse
A Logitech G930 Headset
Cost: approximately $450

This is starting to become final, there are 2 or 3 areas i need to finalize and then the build will be set in stone.

Computersloeber

Distinguished

Chad Fuller

Reputable
May 20, 2014

Well i can't rely on discounts, rebates, etc because I'm not actually ordering the parts until around September. If the base price of that PSU is veryslightly more than the base price of my current choice of PSU, then i might consider it. I think the PSU I'm using will be good enough, but will look up a review. I have looked up reviews on almost all of the parts I'm gonna use though.

USAFRet

Titan

Then spec out your parts in August. Get a general idea now, but look for specifics much closer to the purchase date.

Chad Fuller

Reputable
May 20, 2014

I'm an overthinker so thats probably why I have my whole PC build specified. I will do it again but this is a better way for me to get an idea of what I'm doing before i do it.