[SOLVED] I need help understaning MSI Afterburner features

MAXHAMPTON

Reputable
Sep 9, 2019
So I was thinking of OC my 1060 3gb, somebody told me that 120-135mhz on the core, and 600mhz on the memory is the average stable overclock speeds so Im going to try to do that.

But there are some options in Afterburner that I dont fully understand.

Power limit: Reading guides they say you need to max out this option but what does this do?

Temp limit: What happens when the GPU reach the limit, would 75c be a good limit?

Fan speed: Is It safe to use this on 80% or 100%?

Solution
Welcome to the forums my friend!

Just be wary of "average" overclocks, no system is the same, and you're much better off gradually tweaking and then testing each time, far too often people jump into an OC and become uncased in instability.

Power limit: Reading guides they say you need to max out this option but what does this do?
This removes/maximises the power draw limitation. So basically it allows the GPU to draw more power than it's default.

Temp limit: What happens when the GPU reach the limit, would 75c be a good limit?
Effectively the GPU will throttle when it hits that temperature as to prevent it from overheating past that limit. A good limit is to judge your conditions and then set accordingly. The max temp...

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Welcome to the forums my friend!

Just be wary of "average" overclocks, no system is the same, and you're much better off gradually tweaking and then testing each time, far too often people jump into an OC and become uncased in instability.

This removes/maximises the power draw limitation. So basically it allows the GPU to draw more power than it's default.

Effectively the GPU will throttle when it hits that temperature as to prevent it from overheating past that limit. A good limit is to judge your conditions and then set accordingly. The max temp for the 1060 3G is 94 degrees, but ideally you'd probably want to keep it below 85.

Fan speed: Is It safe to use this on 80% or 100%?
You're probably better setting a dynamic fan curve, if the fan is on 100% all the time, the lifespan on that fan decreases with usage (I.e. the bearings may fail) - that's not say it CAN'T be at 100% all the time, it's just something to consider.

Ideally you would just ramp up fan speeds as temperature increases because having it at 100% at only 50 degrees wouldn't really be necessary.

As you are overclocking your GPU, I am assuming you are reading plenty of guides with the relevant risks associated, but you will also want to ensure you have a good quality PSU that won't fail as you try to draw more power to the GPU.

Solution