I need help upgrading my computer I am a beginner. Please Help!

Angelo Castronova

Reputable
Aug 1, 2014
I have a low profile pc and it only has a 220w psu I want a 400w because most graphics cards need them and my computer is eMachines EL1358G-51W someone help I don't know what is good or will fit in my cpu

Solution

Your best solution is the parts I listed above. Much cheaper than that, and you start to lose out on quality. Never buy a cheapo PSU. That is just asking for trouble.

I would not go any cheaper than this. Slim towers are not very heat friendly either.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Case: Thermaltake Versa H21 ATX Mid Tower Case ($33.03 @ Mwave)
Power...

elmo2006

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2009
You need to ensure that the replacement power supply matches the dimensions of the existing PSU in your desktop case.
As for the the motherboard connections for the PSU replacement, you should make note of that as well.
With that out of the way, please ensure that you do not skimp on the PSU. Are you replacing the video card in your existing system and if so what type of card - curious!

logainofhades

Titan
It would appear that your system uses a standard Micro-ATX board. My suggestion would be to get a different case that can accept normal power supplies and graphics cards, and transfer everything over. Now with that processor, I wouldn't go too high on the GPU, as your CPU is quite weak. On the flip side, once you move to an aftermarket case, you can slowly save up and upgrade to build you something better. You can reuse certain components when you do so as well. :D I would get this first, then figure out budget for GPU.

Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($48.91 @ Amazon)
Total: $81.94
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-08-08 14:08 EDT-0400

Angelo Castronova

Reputable
Aug 1, 2014
I'm on a tiny budget. I've already bought the graphics card and alot of its reviews say it has no problem running on 220w. I just want a small upgrade just has security maybe only a 350w. I just need recommendations for a low profile computer and what are the name brands so I don't go cheap and I get a high quality psu.

may check craygslist:http://chicago.craigslist.org/syp/

logainofhades

Titan

Your best solution is the parts I listed above. Much cheaper than that, and you start to lose out on quality. Never buy a cheapo PSU. That is just asking for trouble.

I would not go any cheaper than this. Slim towers are not very heat friendly either.

Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply ($39.00 @ Amazon)
Total: $72.03
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-08-12 09:32 EDT-0400

Solution