[SOLVED] I need help upgrading my pc

Nov 26, 2018
Hi I have a gtx 1050 ti with a i5 7400 i would like to upgrade my pc to a i7 7700k with a gtx 1060 and a custom cooler for my cpu. I was just wondering is that all I need? My motherboard is a Asus Prime a320-m k micro atx s so basically what I am saying is do I need to get anything else to upgrade my buddy has some tools for building? thx guys

Solution

Well... that doesn't help with the make/model of the motherboard. Take the side panel off the case and look at the motherboard around the center. The make/model should be printed on it. It may be partially hidden under the gfx card. You might need to know that before you buy the CPU to be sure your board supports it, and if you need a BIOS update for the CPU to be recognized.

You can also use CPU-Z to ID the make/model of the board. It is usually correct.

Obviously it is an Intel board with an LGA...

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
I think you meant a different motherboard. The ASUS Prime A320M-K is a AMD Ryzen board.

Just getting the GTX 1060 6GB alone would do the trick. The 3/3.5 GHz i5-7400 can handle that and faster cards. But if you want the added Hyper-threading and GHz that the 4.2/4.5 GHz i7-7700K offers, go ahead. But let's first settle on which board you actually have.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

Well... that doesn't help with the make/model of the motherboard. Take the side panel off the case and look at the motherboard around the center. The make/model should be printed on it. It may be partially hidden under the gfx card. You might need to know that before you buy the CPU to be sure your board supports it, and if you need a BIOS update for the CPU to be recognized.

You can also use CPU-Z to ID the make/model of the board. It is usually correct.

Obviously it is an Intel board with an LGA 1151 socket. If I were you, I'd start with the new gfx card alone. See if that satisfies you. You can always add the i7-7700k later. But if the motherboard is not a Z class board, you won't be able to utilize the OC capabilities of the 7700K that you'd be paying extra for. In that case you might want to consider the 3.6/4.2GHz i7-7700 (non-K).
Of course, there's no reason you can't add both at the same time. I'm just trying to offer some cost-saving options.

Solution