I need help! VA. TN. IPS.?

Vtec 9000

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2014
Hello guys, I need help. I'm literally pulling my hair out over a monitor.

So I'm returning a ViewSonic Curved 32inch 1440p 144hz "HDR" monitor,

https://www.ebuyer.com/834517-viewsonic-xg3240c-32-1440p-curved-144hz-gaming-monitor-xg3240c

because, after many hours of tweaking, I thought the colours still looked better on my really old BenQ 1080p TN panel, and I also didn't like the size.

I want a 27inch 1440p 144hz for only playing games. Perhaps this??

https://www.ebuyer.com/725889-asus-mg278q-27-wqhd-freesync-monitor-mg278q

But I've the option to go IPS, but am worried about the dreaded back light bleed.

I run a 6700k and a GTX 1080.

Help me pick a good monitor.

Thanks

iaminsensible

Proper
Jan 1, 2019
I will write a quick explanation guide on each type of display.

TN: TN panels have many benefits over popular CRT monitors: lower weight, lower cost to produce, lower power consumption, they’re much thinner, offer clearer pictures, have no realistically achievable resolution limits, offer flexibility in size and shape, and the ability to eliminate flicker. That being said, TN panels weren't and still aren’t perfect, and compared to the previously popular CRT monitors, they’ve suffered from limited viewing angles, uneven backlighting, worse motion blur, higher input lag, dead/stuck pixels, and poor display in sunlight.

IPS: IPS was created to address the shortcomings of TN panels. IPS panels seek to solve TN panels’ issues of poor colour reproduction and viewing angles. In this regard, IPS panels have largely succeeded. Not only do they offer a higher contrast ratio (superior blacks), high colour accuracy (which leads to IPS panels also generally looking less “washed out”), but IPS panels also have very little colour shift when changing the viewing angles. The tradeoff to this is that IPS panels have slower response times, higher production costs, higher power consumption, and lower possible refresh rates. IPS panels have traditionally been 60Hz, although, as with all monitors, they can be overclocked (results will vary). There have been improvements to IPS panels over the years, and slightly different revisions in the form of E-IPS and H-IPS, but ultimately the differences between these versions are inconsequential to gamers and those not involved in graphic design as a job.

VA: VA panels offer a solid medium between TN and IPS panels. VA was created to combine the advantages of IPS and TN panels, and largely did, although they did so with some compromise. That seems to be a theme in the world of monitors.

Compared to IPS panels, VA panels have the advantage of higher possible refresh rates. Although most are currently 60Hz, there are a few that are above 60Hz. VA has more advantages over TN panels than IPS, with better colour reproduction, higher maximum brightness, and better viewing angles. VA panels do have the best contrast ratios of all panel types mentioned, but they also have the worst response times of the monitor technologies covered here. This causes blurring in fast-moving pictures and is disadvantageous to gaming.

I would pick IPS as the "low refresh rates" is no longer a valid argument (Some monitors have 144Hz refresh rate and IPS panels). About us helping your getting a new monitor, I need to know your primary interests in the monitor and your budget. (For example, is it for gaming, editing etc and how much money are you willing to spend on a single monitor?)

Vtec 9000

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2014
Firstly, thank you for responding.

I've done a ton of research on different monitors, but I still managed to get it wrong by buying a VA panel that I've linked above.

Unfortunately I don't have the means of walking into a store here and comparing them all in person.

I've only ever used TN panels.

My budget is £600 and all I do is play games.

Thanks

iaminsensible

Proper
Jan 1, 2019
I would recommend ASUS ROG PG279Q 27" WQHD 1440p IPS 165Hz DisplayPort Adjustable Ergonomic EyeCare G-SYNC Gaming Monitor, but it is 150$ above your budget. I have seen some used, out-of-the-box ones that go for 600$ from very reliable sellers on

Amazon.com.https://www.amazon.com/gp/aag/main/ref=olp_merch_name_9?ie=UTF8&asin=B017EVR2VM&isAmazonFulfilled=0&seller=A2YYD0BY5061FQ
^ (I have purchased a monitor from him, and it came in a fantastic condition, just a little dust on the screen but using a wipe it was looking brand new).

iaminsensible

Proper
Jan 1, 2019
Honestly, as you saw in the video, you may get none, slightly or outrageous amounts of backlight bleed. I have never seen that video and from the reviews, I've read it is a fantastic monitor, but now that I saw it has led me to believe that it is not the best monitor to invest to.

Vtec 9000

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2014
Yeah I know, for the cost of that monitor you'd expect and want minimal back light bleed.

I guess it's a lottery. That's why TN seems to be the safer option and less money.

But I feel I'm missing out not going IPS.

iaminsensible

Proper
Jan 1, 2019

Not really, no. I mean, as I've listed above, the IPS was created to "patch up" all the TN holes, but it doesn't mean that all TN panels will look awful and unbearable. The monitor you're looking to purchase seems excellent and will have no issues whatsoever with the GTX 1080.

I use the Dell 27 Gaming Monitor: S2716DG for my current PC until I upgrade it to a 4k one. And this monitor has fantastic image details. I have been using it for two years now, and it hasn't disappointed me, ever. I am not trying to say that you should purchase this one, it's just that, even a TN panel monitor (Like this one) can have fantastic results in image quality.