[SOLVED] I need help with 3700x temprature

Mar 25, 2021
his so temps while idle are 36 and when underload 80 in cinebench r20 is this normal ? i am so confused i just swapped the cpu from my old 1800x and now 3700x did i apply thermal paste in a wrong way ? or whats happening
sGaiqDU.png

L2ecXkH.png

Last edited:
Solution
Throw out any reflections on the 1800x vs 3700x. They aren't the same, don't respond the same, don't act the same. 2 different architecture.

For 3700x there's 2 things I'd use. Dram Calculator (and typhoon burner) to dial in that 3000MHz ram and get better performance, it's on the slow side for a Zen 2 cpu, and ClockTuner2 to tailor speeds and voltages.

Don't know what your multicore cpu score is in CB R20, but my 3700x gets 5000 with those 2 done, and multiplier sits at 41.8 all core at 62°C. A full 4.4GHz OC got me 5101 at 85°C. I'll take the 100pt hit for 20°C

Programs written by 1usmus, in conjunction with Linus, Igor, Buildzoid and a few other top overclockers and Ryzen experts.
his so temps while idle are 36 and when underload 80 in cinebench r20 is this normal ?
87.5C...not great, but not the end of the world. Using the stock cooler, especially in a case with bad ventilation, you could expect that sort of temp. The stock cooler has pre-applied paste so you couldn't have screwed that up. You might check the mounting screws though: all four should be snugged up tight, but not too tight. There are springs that keep it tight to the CPU.

What did you do after installing the new CPU? did you reset CMOS? It may or may not help with temperatures but it will help with a lot of other possible problems.

Tjmax is 95C so you're still well under that threshold, by the way. So even though running hot it's not at all in dangerous territory.

Mar 25, 2021
87.5C...not great, but not the end of the world. Using the stock cooler, especially in a case with bad ventilation, you could expect that sort of temp. The stock cooler has pre-applied paste so you couldn't have screwed that up. You might check the mounting screws though: all four should be snugged up tight, but not too tight. There are springs that keep it tight to the CPU.

What did you do after installing the new CPU? did you reset CMOS? It may or may not help with temperatures but it will help with a lot of other possible problems.

Tjmax is 95C so you're still well under that threshold, by the way. So even though running hot it's not at all in dangerous territory.
thats the issue i am using a coolermaster 240l aio my temps used to be around 48 to 50 under load on my 1800x and now 80c on 3700x so i am just confused and no i did not reset the cmos when i installed the new cpu

thats the issue i am using a coolermaster 240l aio my temps used to be around 48 to 50 under load on my 1800x and now 80c on 3700x so i am just confused

Yeah...I'd expect cooler temps too but it will run hotter than your 1800X if you only ran it in stock settings. I've also a 3700X and CM 240mm AIO that runs in the mid-upper 70's in Cinebench runs...and I'm running with a tweaked up PBO settings that make it run quite hot.

Check the mounting of the waterblock assy. It uses the clip mounts so make sure the clip mounts are correctly installed with screws tightened to the backplate.

As far as paste application goes: a simple pea-size dot of it in the middle of the CPU before putting the waterblock on is all it needs. Very simple.

And do reset CMOS if you haven't since installing the new CPU.

Last edited:
Reactions: Aysf212
Mar 25, 2021
Yeah...I'd expect cooler temps too but it will run hotter than your 1800X if you only ran it in stock settings. I've also a 3700X and CM 240mm AIO that runs in the mid-upper 70's in Cinebench runs...and I'm running with a tweaked up PBO settings that make it run quite hot.

Check the mounting of the waterblock assy. It uses the clip mounts so make sure the clip mounts are correctly installed with screws tightened to the backplate.

As far as paste application goes: a simple pea-size dot of it in the middle of the CPU before putting the waterblock on is all it needs. Very simple.

And do reset CMOS if you haven't since installing the new CPU.
it was bad thermal paste application actually now underload temps are 60 after reapplying paste and yes i restted the cmos as well ty

Reactions: drea.drechsler

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Throw out any reflections on the 1800x vs 3700x. They aren't the same, don't respond the same, don't act the same. 2 different architecture.

For 3700x there's 2 things I'd use. Dram Calculator (and typhoon burner) to dial in that 3000MHz ram and get better performance, it's on the slow side for a Zen 2 cpu, and ClockTuner2 to tailor speeds and voltages.

Don't know what your multicore cpu score is in CB R20, but my 3700x gets 5000 with those 2 done, and multiplier sits at 41.8 all core at 62°C. A full 4.4GHz OC got me 5101 at 85°C. I'll take the 100pt hit for 20°C

Programs written by 1usmus, in conjunction with Linus, Igor, Buildzoid and a few other top overclockers and Ryzen experts.

Solution
Mar 25, 2021

so whats the difference between docp and ryzen dram calculator because i am using docp standard rn and the ram is running at 3000 mhz do you suggest i tune in the timing manually?

so whats the difference between docp and ryzen dram calculator because i am using docp standard rn and the ram is running at 3000 mhz do you suggest i tune in the timing manually?
DOCP is the same as XMP (Asus' term for it). XMP memory profiles are recommended timings the DIMM manufacturer programs on the DIMM, the motherboard BIOS uses those timings when you enable the profile.

DRAM calculator is a tool you can use to calculate some timings that may work with the memory for clock speeds often times well beyond those the DIMM manufacturer programmed for. Once you calculate the timings you have to set them manually in the DRAM timings menus in BIOS. It can be a bit tedious, but it can also result in much better performance at higher speeds than intended and still be stable.

A 3000 series processor is very much capable of running memory at 3600 but you have to calculate the timings for your DIMM's to be able to do that.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
XMP is Intel eXtreme Memory Profile. And it's copyrighted. Can't use the XMP either in name or program without paying Intel royalties. So Asus wrote something that acts the same, gets the same results, but goes about it differently enough that DOCP and XMP are technically different programs that do the same thing. ASRock tried it with A-XMP, Gigabyte has EOCP etc. But everybody is so used to XMP, that that's what it's called.

Same as Molex is actually a company that produces thousands of different connector types, but because in the early days they were the sole supplier of that big 4pin connector for pc use, even today a molex is that particular plug, even though molex also supplies 20+4 and 4+4 and pcie 6/8pins.

Xmp is nothing more (realistically) than preset profiles for speeds, timings, subtimings, voltages of ram. But just like a fingerprint or a cpu, the ram itself is different than a generic applied application of values and can respond to fine tuning, basically overclocking the timings/subtimings to make data performance pushed through it, faster.

Think of it as double X - xmp.