Question I need help with a gt 1030

Jun 20, 2019
Hi, i hace a dell optiplex 3040, runing a core i5 6500, 8 gb ddr3, a 500gb hdd and its runing of a 180 w PS. I want to buy an MSI GT 1030 LP for it since its only a 30w GC. But i was thinking about my 180w PS. CAN IT HANDLE IT?

Hi, i hace a dell optiplex 3040, runing a core i5 6500, 8 gb ddr3, a 500gb hdd and its runing of a 180 w PS. I want to buy an MSI GT 1030 LP for it since its only a 30w GC. But i was thinking about my 180w PS. CAN IT HANDLE IT?
The CPU can draw 65 watts.
....add the 30 watt GPU and that's 95 watts.
I would be surprised if you had another 85 watts of draw between the drives and the motherboard and whatever else (unless you have something you didn't mention).

Jun 20, 2019
The CPU can draw 65 watts.
....add the 30 watt GPU and that's 95 watts.
I would be surprised if you had another 85 watts of draw between the drives and the motherboard and whatever else (unless you have something you didn't mention).

Its only That, theres a Disc drive installed but i dont have it conected. So its safe to get the gt 1030?

Jun 16, 2019
Let me just link this here: https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/gt-1030-on-180w-psu.3352280/

Was looking for a success story on that a few months ago while planning to get a pre-built system with no graphics card to do what you are planning to do. I cannot find the link right now but 'There was this dad. That tried this for his son. He faced no problems.'.

The pre-built system I was after was supplied by Lenovo and for some reason they were shipping every unit with a pre-installed-graphics-card with 240W PSU. And the ones without the card, 180W.

Normally if supplied power ain't enough, the system would slow down gradually or will even throttle itself. Recently I learnt that advertised watt of a PSU ain't the watt it can provide continuously. If in an emergency situation, you can get a newer PSU, get the card. Check time to time for temperature and load on GPU and CPU. If everything looks like "not throttled", no new PSU needed. But if you notice more louder fans, heated PSU, chopping graphics, time to get a new PSU.

Just my a few sentences, have been continuously searching these stuff last few weeks.

Jun 20, 2019
Let me just link this here: https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/gt-1030-on-180w-psu.3352280/

Was looking for a success story on that a few months ago while planning to get a pre-built system with no graphics card to do what you are planning to do. I cannot find the link right now but 'There was this dad. That tried this for his son. He faced no problems.'.

The pre-built system I was after was supplied by Lenovo and for some reason they were shipping every unit with a pre-installed-graphics-card with 240W PSU. And the ones without the card, 180W.

Normally if supplied power ain't enough, the system would slow down gradually or will even throttle itself. Recently I learnt that advertised watt of a PSU ain't the watt it can provide continuously. If in an emergency situation, you can get a newer PSU, get the card. Check time to time for temperature and load on GPU and CPU. If everything looks like "not throttled", no new PSU needed. But if you notice more louder fans, heated PSU, chopping graphics, time to get a new PSU.

Just my a few sentences, have been continuously searching these stuff last few weeks.

Thanks for the reply. Im going to keep searching for info, cus i dont want to buy the GC and realize that its not working.... Ill keep updating this post so that anyone trying the same have a proof.