I need help with ethernet crossover cable

Doses13

Reputable
Mar 5, 2017
I am trying to give internet access to my server by plugging it into my main computer with an Ethernet crossover cable. I enabled connection sharing on the wifi card in my main computer and set up all the IP addresses but it only rarely works and it is very slow when it does. Does anyone have some advice for me

Solution
First, on most modern machines -- those with a gigabit Ethernet card or port, you don't need to use a crossover cable as they have auto MDIX.

I would suggest using either ICS (Internet connection sharing) in the Windows networking control panel adapter settings and *do not set IP addresses* as ICS wants to do that on its own. To bridge just highlight both adapters, right click and select the bridge option, no need to manually set IP addresses.

In some situations it is easier to just bridge the two adapters in those network adapter settings, although you have to consider potential security issues of opening the server to your entire network (assuming you have other users).

RealBeast

Titan
First, on most modern machines -- those with a gigabit Ethernet card or port, you don't need to use a crossover cable as they have auto MDIX.

I would suggest using either ICS (Internet connection sharing) in the Windows networking control panel adapter settings and *do not set IP addresses* as ICS wants to do that on its own. To bridge just highlight both adapters, right click and select the bridge option, no need to manually set IP addresses.

In some situations it is easier to just bridge the two adapters in those network adapter settings, although you have to consider potential security issues of opening the server to your entire network (assuming you have other users).

Solution

RealBeast

Titan
Agreed, that would be first choice. I assume that is not possible as he is using a cable connection to access his wireless adapter Internet.