[SOLVED] i need help with for my build make over :)

MR_QASIM

Honorable
Feb 20, 2017
Hello guys I am planning to change stuff in my biuld I got three things in mind:
1- Gpu ( gtx 1080ti or rtx 2080)
I am between these two cards and I don’t know what to pick I would go with rtx 2080 or even rtx 2080ti but I heard that they are dying can causing problems so that why I thought about gtx 1080ti as its still a good card.
2- Cpu ( i7 6800k or i7 6950x)
Always thought of upgrading my cpu but I don’t know what to get cuz I don’t want to change my motherboard these two are my options
3- Custom water-cooling
I want to water my system cuz it quite and looks great however the thought of leaking water on the components is scarring me even thought I will leave the water-cooling part to a professional to do it

CURRENT BIULD :
Cpu: i7 5820k
FAN: Corsair Hydro Series H80I GT High Performance Liquid Cooling
system w/ 120mm
Samsung 950 pro NVMe M2 SSD 512GB
HDD: 250 GB Samsung 850 EVO SATA III Gaming MLC
3x 2TB SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 64M Cache 7200rpm Hard Drive
MEMORY: 32GB (4x8GB) DDR4/2400mhz Dual Channel Memory (HyperX
Fury w/Heat Spreader)
MOTHERBOARD: Asus Rog Strix X99
POWERSUPPLY: corsair RM850X
GPU: Asus rog strix gtx 1080 Advance edition
Case: corsair 780t
MONITORS:2x ROG SWIFT PG278Q

open

Solution
1) 1080 ti's are no longer being manufactured and are going out of stock, if you want one at this point you will have to pay way over retail and that is of course not worth it. There were problems with some very early 2080 ti founders cards, it was never anything close to a widespread issue and any card you buy new today is not going to have those problems.

2) I would stick with what you have personally. For gaming I don't think either of those cpu's will improve performance enough over the 5820k to justify their price. Maybe do a bit of overclocking with the 5820k.

3) Water cool a GPU? That will likely be very expensive to have a shop do and is not going to give you a lot of real world improvements. But hey if you are willing to...

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador
1) 1080 ti's are no longer being manufactured and are going out of stock, if you want one at this point you will have to pay way over retail and that is of course not worth it. There were problems with some very early 2080 ti founders cards, it was never anything close to a widespread issue and any card you buy new today is not going to have those problems.

2) I would stick with what you have personally. For gaming I don't think either of those cpu's will improve performance enough over the 5820k to justify their price. Maybe do a bit of overclocking with the 5820k.

3) Water cool a GPU? That will likely be very expensive to have a shop do and is not going to give you a lot of real world improvements. But hey if you are willing to throw around a ton of money just to make your build look cool go for it, to each his own. Leaking should not be an issue if it's done properly with quality parts and fittings.

Solution

MR_QASIM

Honorable
Feb 20, 2017

Hmmm so the 2080 cards that are sold now have no problems but I will have bottleneck cuz of my cpu is weak for 2080 or 2080ti that's why also I thought about upgrading also yes i noticed that most 1080ti are out of stock and most used cards sellers asking way above the card retail value

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador
I'm not sure the 2080 ever had issues, I believe it was just the 2080 ti. Some had a corrupted BIOS that wouldn't allow the card to reach it's boost clock speeds and some had problems with VRAM cooling. Again only early founders edition cards. Linked a video on this below.

Whether or not you see any cpu bottlenecking will depend on the game and resolution you play at. In modern cpu heavy titles I would expect a i5 6500 to hold back a 2080 somewhat at 1080p.

https://youtu.be/JIRfPlC15uc

It was some 2080s and at least one 2070 (Joker on YouTube). I think your current specs are fine for a GPU upgrade. I certainly wouldn't spend the money on a 6800K or 6950X that would only offer 5% single-core speed increase for gaming. Just overclock your 5820K.