[SOLVED] I need help with GTX 960

Jun 17, 2020
Yesterday my GPU straight up stopped working. Monitor says HDMI no signal and my GPU's fans aren't spinning. Right now I'm using the integrated one. I checked my device manager, cpu-z and restoro, none of them showed my GTX 960. I tried to install the newest game ready driver and even tried to install the GTX 960 driver from nvidia's site. Both cases ended with an error saying: this driver isn't compatible with this version of Windows. Any help I could get?

Solution
I tried to treat the card with a heatgun. It still doesn't even start the fans.
My PSU is the Thermaltake Hamburg 530W Bronze.
That PSU may be new'ish to you, but it was released back in 2011 and is likely part of why your GPU is either dead or not function with that PSU, because the PSU may be defective. You shouldn't have taken the GPU apart as it could still be working. That is why I suggested testing the GPU with a different PSU.

Buy a new PSU with your new GPU, don't use such an old PSU for the most or second most expensive part of your PC. The Corsair CX550/650 is good PSU to start when searching for a replacement.
Yesterday my GPU straight up stopped working. Monitor says HDMI no signal and my GPU's fans aren't spinning. Right now I'm using the integrated one. I checked my device manager, cpu-z and restoro, none of them showed my GTX 960. I tried to install the newest game ready driver and even tried to install the GTX 960 driver from nvidia's site. Both cases ended with an error saying: this driver isn't compatible with this version of Windows. Any help I could get?
It's possible your GPU really is dead, but it could also be an issue with your PSU, but that would usually mean your entire system would stop working.

What is the file name of the driver you downloaded and what version of Windows are you using? If the driver installer is saying the driver isn't compatible, it usually means you downloaded the wrong driver. There are separate Windows 10 and Windows 7/8.1 driver releases. Make sure you download the correct driver for your Windows installation and see if it will recognize the GTX 960 and install.

Jun 17, 2020
It's possible your GPU really is dead, but it could also be an issue with your PSU, but that would usually mean your entire system would stop working.

What is the file name of the driver you downloaded and what version of Windows are you using? If the driver installer is saying the driver isn't compatible, it usually means you downloaded the wrong driver. There are separate Windows 10 and Windows 7/8.1 driver releases. Make sure you download the correct driver for your Windows installation and see if it will recognize the GTX 960 and install.

I have Windows 10 Pro version 1903 and I tried to download version 451.67.

Jun 17, 2020
Did you make sure to check the Windows version when downloading? Double check you downloaded the Windows 10 driver. The Windows 10 game ready driver for 64bit should be named 451.67-desktop-win10-64bit-international-dch-whql.exe when downloaded from nvidia.com.

Yeah
I downloaded this one, and I know that my Windows is 64bit.

Jun 17, 2020
Well, if the card had been working fine, then just stopped working, you likely have a broken card and need to look at buying a new one. If you have another PSU you can use to test with, see if that will make the card run again.

Could the motherboard be the culprit?
I don't have another psu, but everything else is working properly.

Turtle Rig

Prominent
BANNED
Jun 23, 2020
I have Windows 10 Pro version 1903 and I tried to download version 451.67.
Well that's the proble right there 1903 WTH? You should be on 2004. Lol Im only playing with you my friend, just kidding. But honestly I think your GPU took a dive for the worse and I think it is pretty old to RMA if Im not mistaken and what not.

I think this is going to be the last question.
I just opened up my gpu.
Should it look like this?
View: https://imgur.com/a/ZdUjUUD
link to the pictures I took.
When I opened the GPU after removing the screws this paste should've resisted me opening it I think.
The paste is old and dried out, but that isn't likely what killed the GPU, since it would have downclocked to reduce heat. You would have noticed a huge performance drop before it died. More likey what killed the GPU was a component failing, possibly related to power input/delivery. It's still possible that your PSU may be faulty and the card could possibly still be ok.

I never asked what your PSU is or the other components of your computer. What model PSU do you have? You should probably considering buying a new PSU when you get a new GPU. Since you took off the GPU heat-sink, you will need to reapply paste before using/testing it again.

Jun 17, 2020
The paste is old and dried out, but that isn't likely what killed the GPU, since it would have downclocked to reduce heat. You would have noticed a huge performance drop before it died. More likey what killed the GPU was a component failing, possibly related to power input/delivery. It's still possible that your PSU may be faulty and the card could possibly still be ok.

I never asked what your PSU is or the other components of your computer. What model PSU do you have? You should probably considering buying a new PSU when you get a new GPU. Since you took off the GPU heat-sink, you will need to reapply paste before using/testing it again.

That PSU may be new'ish to you, but it was released back in 2011 and is likely part of why your GPU is either dead or not function with that PSU, because the PSU may be defective. You shouldn't have taken the GPU apart as it could still be working. That is why I suggested testing the GPU with a different PSU.

Buy a new PSU with your new GPU, don't use such an old PSU for the most or second most expensive part of your PC. The Corsair CX550/650 is good PSU to start when searching for a replacement.

Solution
Jun 17, 2020

Is this PSU fine?
Cooler Master Elite V3 600W

Also for a new GPU I was thinking about an RTX 2060, but I'm not sure as I read that my I5-4440 is too weak for the card.

Last edited:
Is this PSU fine?
Cooler Master Elite V3 600W

Also for a new GPU I was thinking about an RTX 2060, but I'm not sure as I read that my I5-4440 is too weak for the card.
That PSU model is almost as old as your 530watt so I would avoid it evne if it's new in box. What else do you have available in the 500-750watt range?

Also, It's usually better to buy the best GPU you can afford that is supported by your PSU and fits your case, because you can reuse it for another system in the future. If your motherboard supports an i7, you could upgrade to that before building an entirely new system. The 4core8thread i7-4770 is about as fast per core as the 6c12t Ryzen 5 2600 or only a bit slower than the newly released 4c8t Ryzen 3 3100.

TRENDING THREADS