[SOLVED] I need help with inherited XPS 410

Nov 12, 2018
So, I recently inherited a XPS 410 and I want to fully convert it to a Gaming PC. But,I know barely anything about adding parts to this computer or any. I want to know which parts I could get for my converted Gaming PC. So, What is the Max Graphics Card I / My Computer could handle and what power supply is recommended? Can I add a fan and what is the recommended Ram ? If so, which type? Also Feel Free to add more parts to this rig.

Thank You,
Future XPS User

Solution
I was wrong about the CPU! As long as you update the BIOS to the latest revision, you will be able to use the Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700. Make sure you get some Arctic Silver thermal paste for it, it runs a bit toasty in some systems. I figured this out because I too just got a XPS 410! You can also use a full size graphics card that only takes one 6-pin input, I recommend the 1050 Ti for the best results. Sorry my previous answer wasn't too helpful. I didn't know this machine was capable of so much! Pick up a SSD for it too, I recommend the Kingston A400 as it is a cheap system overall.

Also when updating the BIOS in Windows 10, it might tell you the program couldn't get access to the filesystem. If this happens, unlock the windows 10...
This computer wouldn't really make a good gaming machine. You could add a low-profile card to the computer for about $100 so it can run old games. But if you're looking to run something a bit newer, you will need something a bit newer.

This being said:
CPU: E8600 3.3GHz [$30]
GPU: Zotac 1050 Ti Mini [$100-$150]
SSD: Kingston A400 120 GB [$30]
HDD: 1 TB [$30]
RAM: 4 GB [$15]

Total: $205-$255

I really recommend that you don't fix this one up. You can buy a Dell Optiplex 7010 For about $100 then throw a card in it and get much better performance. Old hardware doesn't go down in price enough to make it a good value.

I was wrong about the CPU! As long as you update the BIOS to the latest revision, you will be able to use the Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700. Make sure you get some Arctic Silver thermal paste for it, it runs a bit toasty in some systems. I figured this out because I too just got a XPS 410! You can also use a full size graphics card that only takes one 6-pin input, I recommend the 1050 Ti for the best results. Sorry my previous answer wasn't too helpful. I didn't know this machine was capable of so much! Pick up a SSD for it too, I recommend the Kingston A400 as it is a cheap system overall.

Also when updating the BIOS in Windows 10, it might tell you the program couldn't get access to the filesystem. If this happens, unlock the windows 10 administrator account and then run the program from there.

Command Prompt (Admin): Net User Administrator /active:yes

Solution