Question I need help with M.2 NVMe SSD installation ?

AniketSR

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2016
Hey all,

I have quite a few questions regarding NVMe SSD installation. I will try my best to describe in short below. I have Gigabyte B560M Aorus Pro AX motherboard and recently purchased a WD Black SN850X 2TB SSD.
  1. Does Gen4 NVMe SSD require a heatsink? My motherboard comes with a heatsink, but since the M.2 screw is shorter in length I am unable to install the SSD with the heatsink. I am able to install and use it without the heatsink
  2. What should be the ideal orientation of the SSD? Should it be parallel to the motherboard or a slight angle is fine? (on my motherboard the default M.2 standoff is slightly taller which creates a slight angle when installed)
  3. Is 58-60c idle and gaming temperature good or should I consider using a heatsink? I don't plan on using this drive for anything apart from gaming
Thank you

Heatsink required? I'd say no, but it depends how frantic you get over temperatures. I don't use one. My temps are are typically 40 to 60 and have never been above 72. Mine will throttle at 80, which it has never reached. Yours likely has a throttle point too.

They do run a bit hotter than hard drives or 3 gen NVMEs. You might try to aim a fan in its general direction if worried, Don't know how well your case is ventilated.

I've never heard of an angled mount, but I can't see why it would be an issue. They don't have moving parts.

AniketSR

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2016
Heatsink required? I'd say no, but it depends how frantic you get over temperatures. I don't use one. My temps are are typically 40 to 60 and have never been above 72. Mine will throttle at 80, which it has never reached. Yours likely has a throttle point too.

They do run a bit hotter than hard drives or 3 gen NVMEs. You might try to aim a fan in its general direction if worried, Don't know how well your case is ventilated.

I've never heard of an angled mount, but I can't see why it would be an issue. They don't have moving parts.
Hi @Lafong

WD Black SN850x might throttle around 85c. Since I am running at 58-60c both idle and while gaming, I will continue using it without heatsink in that case.

Yes. You are right about not having moving parts. I was just worried if being at an angle could cause any failure or data loss. Is that possible?

Btw... I am using NZXT H510 Flow and the case is pretty well ventilated. It's just that where I stay the ambient room temperature currently is above 35c :sweatsmile:

Thank you

Last edited:
Any drive can fail at any moment for no apparent reason.

If yours were to fail, how could you know why?

Bad design? Defect in manufacturing process? Stepped on in shipping? Heat? Drunken quality control manager? It's unknowable.

As far as I know, ordinary spinning hard drives can be used vertically or horizontally or on edge. I stand to be corrected, but I'd be very surprised if angle could affect an NVME.

If gaming is your most strenuous task and your temps are around 60 when ambient is over 30, I'd say you are doing very well.

I don't know what software you are using to read the temperature. That can matter.

I use HWInfo64. My NVME showed a single temp of about 40. I upgraded HWInfo64 to a newer version and suddenly I then saw 3 different temps for the same drive, one of which was about 60. The newer version of the software picked up 2 more sensors on the drive that the older version did not even recognize. It turned out that the highest temp of 60 was on a sensor on the drive controller, which is typically the hottest spot on a drive.

Reactions: AniketSR

AniketSR

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2016
If your motherboard has a heatsink but you can't install it, don't stress. You can still use your NVMe SSD without it. Just make sure your case has good airflow.

Install your NVMe SSD parallel to the motherboard. Even if it's at a slight angle due to the standoff height, it's all good as long as it's secure and doesn't wobble.

Temperature-wise, 58-60°C during idle and gaming is cool. But if you're worried about heat affecting performance, think about adding a heatsink or improving airflow in your case.
Perfect. Sounds good.

I will continue using it without heatsink.

Yes. NVMe is secure and doesn't wobble at all. In this case I will stop worrying about the angle due to the standoff height.

I will see if I could find any cheap, but good after market heatsink for NVMe or improve the case airflow in general, if I notice any performance impact due to over heating.

Thank you

AniketSR

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2016
Any drive can fail at any moment for no apparent reason.

If yours were to fail, how could you know why?

Bad design? Defect in manufacturing process? Stepped on in shipping? Heat? Drunken quality control manager? It's unknowable.

As far as I know, ordinary spinning hard drives can be used vertically or horizontally or on edge. I stand to be corrected, but I'd be very surprised if angle could affect an NVME.

If gaming is your most strenuous task and your temps are around 60 when ambient is over 30, I'd say you are doing very well.

I don't know what software you are using to read the temperature. That can matter.

I use HWInfo64. My NVME showed a single temp of about 40. I upgraded HWInfo64 to a newer version and suddenly I then saw 3 different temps for the same drive, one of which was about 60. The newer version of the software picked up 2 more sensors on the drive that the older version did not even recognize. It turned out that the highest temp of 60 was on a sensor on the drive controller, which is typically the hottest spot on a drive.
In general it seems like 60c during idle and gaming is decent.

It's been just a day since I installed the NVMe, so I was checking the temperature via settings in Windows 11. I will definitely try using HWInfo64 today to get more info. regarding drive temperatures.

Thanks again...

Hey all,

I have quite a few questions regarding NVMe SSD installation. I will try my best to describe in short below. I have Gigabyte B560M Aorus Pro AX motherboard and recently purchased a WD Black SN850X 2TB SSD.
  1. Does Gen4 NVMe SSD require a heatsink? My motherboard comes with a heatsink, but since the M.2 screw is shorter in length I am unable to install the SSD with the heatsink. I am able to install and use it without the heatsink
  2. What should be the ideal orientation of the SSD? Should it be parallel to the motherboard or a slight angle is fine? (on my motherboard the default M.2 standoff is slightly taller which creates a slight angle when installed)
  3. Is 58-60c idle and gaming temperature good or should I consider using a heatsink? I don't plan on using this drive for anything apart from gaming
Thank you
Why not just take the screw to your local hardware store and buy a longer one then you can use the heatsink.

AniketSR

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2016
Why not just take the screw to your local hardware store and buy a longer one then you can use the heatsink.
Hi @Bob.B

This was the first thing that came to my mind. I remember seeing one which came with my motherboard, but unfortunately I have lost it. I will try to find similar and longer screw in local hardware stores.

Again the question remains of how much longer should I get, so that its neither tight nor lose.

Thank you

Hi @Bob.B

This was the first thing that came to my mind. I remember seeing one which came with my motherboard, but unfortunately I have lost it. I will try to find similar and longer screw in local hardware stores.

Again the question remains of how much longer should I get, so that its neither tight nor lose.

Thank you
When your at the hardware store buy a few different lengths should not cost you much.

Reactions: AniketSR