[SOLVED] I need help with manually overclocking RAM

Oct 28, 2020
:)
Hi, I am new to overclock and trying to manual overclock the RAM by increasing the DRAM Frequency in BIOS.
Hopefully someone can solve my problem, many thanks!

So, I tried to go up from XMP setting @2400MHz to 2600MHz without changing anything else to see if it boots into Window.

When I boot into Window and check with the CPU-Z, the DRAM Frequency dropped and Timing increased. (2133MHz instead of going up, I guest it return to the RAM's stock frequency before XMP Profile applied )
It also affects my CPU overclock by returning it back to stock Frequency.

Am I doing something Wrong? What might be the problem?
Could it be my motherboard does not support manual setting?
I'm including more detail below:

Before - 2400MHz with XMP profileAfter - manual setting with 2600Mhz
memory-XMP-profile.jpg
memory-manul-2600.jpg

System
CPU - Skylake - i5 6600k

Motherboard model - Asrock Fatal1ty Z170 Gaming- ITX/ac
Memory model - Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (2 X 8GB) DDR4 DRAM 2400MHz C10 - CMD16GX4M2B2400C10
SPD.jpg

BIOS setting before Change:

CPU ConfigurationDRAM ConfigurationVoltage Configuration
CPU-Configuration.jpg
RAM-Configuration-before.png
Voltage-Configuration.png

I didn't find much useful manual tweaking options in the DRAM Configuration:
1st option - DRAM Tweaker - this Tweaker only let me pick between JEDEC#1,2,3 or XMP 1
2nd option. Load XMP Setting - can only either set to Auto or XMP 2.0 Profile 1 , I left it at XMP when I tried setting Frequency to 2600Mhz
3rd option. DRAM Frequency - It provide a list of frequency option, this is where I set to 2600Mhz

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2020
try leaving cpu voltage on auto test your temps and see this worked for me

Thanks, but when I overclock my CPU to 4.8GHz, I can only boot into window by setting fixed voltage. Auto or Offset mode won't boot into Window.
I will run a test with the CPU under the stock frequency and Auto Voltage and try to overclock the RAM.

Oct 28, 2020
Wait, about testing the temperature, I don't think it's the reason I can't overclock the RAM. The CPU temperature peaks at 72C when I do the stress tests.

Anyway, I tried to restore the BIOS setting to before I do the CPU OC, and increase RAM Frequency to 2600MHz @ 1.35V with CPU Voltage on Auto
I can boot into window, but still the system only read it at 2133HMz. So the situation didn't change.

As far as i know for overclocking ram
The CL+tRCD+tRP=tRAS
Higher the frequency the looser the timings has to be, you can tightnen them later after you've found stable timings.
Its just about spending a day or two trying, nobody cannot give you baked answer if I may say.
Also look up what might be the max voltages for ram of your (DDR3/DDR4 etc).

I've personally lost like 3 days trying to overclock OCZ 800Mhz -> 1200Mhz doing 6-6-6-18 2T(or smth like that) on 2.4V (yes they are made to do that).
L

Oct 28, 2020
As far as i know for overclocking ram
The CL+tRCD+tRP=tRAS
Higher the frequency the looser the timings has to be, you can tightnen them later after you've found stable timings.
Its just about spending a day or two trying, nobody cannot give you baked answer if I may say.
Also look up what might be the max voltages for ram of your (DDR3/DDR4 etc).

I've personally lost like 3 days trying to overclock OCZ 800Mhz -> 1200Mhz doing 6-6-6-18 2T(or smth like that) on 2.4V (yes they are made to do that).
L

Thanks man, that's what I am trying to do, firstly increase the DRAM Frequency, may be increase the DRAM Voltage if it fail to boot into Window.

Um.. but right now my problem is I can't seem to be able to manually increase the DRAM Frequency to anything beyond the XMP value at 2400MHz.
Because when I test increasing just 200MHz, and boot in the window, the system only read at 2133MHz which is the RAM's SPD Value.

Oct 28, 2020
Have you tried updating bios to latest (I know stupid question).

Yes, I am having the latest BIOS version. I also tested the RAM with memtest86, there were no error found.

Meanwhile
- I tried using the maximum recommended 1.4V DRAM Voltage for DDR4 when I increase a slightly 100Mhz, seems like something is overriding my manual setting, or locking the DRAM Frequency in the SPD Value.

-I also tried increasing all the timing CL tRCD tRP tRAS to the highest latency, with 100Mhz increased in Frequency, it's the same SPD Value again

-When I tried to downclock the Frequency below SPD value instead, it's work just fine...

-I already contact Asrock support, hopefully they might come up with something

Last edited:
Your ram is 2400 speed ram.
Ram is binned and the better chips will be used in faster kits such as 2600 speed or greater.
You may be able to overclock, but do not count on it.
If you want faster ram, buy faster ram in the first place.

And... intel does not depend on fast ram for performance if you are using a discrete graphics card.

Oct 28, 2020
Your ram is 2400 speed ram.
Ram is binned and the better chips will be used in faster kits such as 2600 speed or greater.
You may be able to overclock, but do not count on it.
If you want faster ram, buy faster ram in the first place.

And... intel does not depend on fast ram for performance if you are using a discrete graphics card.

My system was build like 5 years ago, this RAM was actually at the of top of the range among the series back then, the one $159.99
People explained something about calculating absolute latency, 2400MHz C10 is actually faster than 3200MHz C16, but it's been so long, I don't remember the detail now.
5712dfd2cc4b0_CorsairDominatorPlatinumDDR3MemoryKitsDominatorPlatinumDDR3MemoryKitsandPCmemoryupgrad-sairsexclusiveDHXconductiveandconvectivecoolingtechnology.jpeg.d66816887146e39efa91c12fa8ecaf4b.jpeg

curley81

Proper
Sep 12, 2020
time in nano seconds is 2000*cl /mhz
My system was build like 5 years ago, this RAM was actually at the of top of the range among the series back then, the one $159.99
People explained something about calculating absolute latency, 2400MHz C10 is actually faster than 3200MHz C16, but it's been so long, I don't remember the detail now.
5712dfd2cc4b0_CorsairDominatorPlatinumDDR3MemoryKitsDominatorPlatinumDDR3MemoryKitsandPCmemoryupgrad-sairsexclusiveDHXconductiveandconvectivecoolingtechnology.jpeg.d66816887146e39efa91c12fa8ecaf4b.jpeg

time in nano seconds is 2000*cl /mhz so 3000mhz cl 15 is the same as 3200 cl 16 both are 10ns