Question I need help with monitor choosing

FluffyButtonsXD

Reputable
Jan 1, 2020
I used Pc Part Picker to pick my parts for a new pc build i just need help with monitors i would like to have two 240hz 1080p (no 4k) or (1440p) monitors. So the gpu i went with is a MSI RX 5700 XT Gaming X and the displays on the card itself are
-displayport 1.4 (x4)
-Hdmi 2.0 (x1)
The motherboard i chose is a ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E Gaming and it’s displays are
-Hdmi 1.4 (x1)
-Displayport 1.2 (x1)

Now like i said i would like 2 monitors non 4k just 1080p 240hz, the monitors i have now only have dvi 144hz and hdmi 60hz which sucks because im all about frames. I don’t care if one monitor has to plug into my gpu or the other into my motherboard. Just as long as the monitors have the same ports as my motherboard and gpu. Please help!

link to 240Hz Free-Sync 1080p Displays

Free-Sync is the version of Adaptive-Sync your AMD card uses so you should be including that in your search for sure. If you're gaming then you need both of the monitors to run from your GPU's Display Ports, not the motherboard I/O panel. The 5700X should have 3x Display Port and 1x HDMI.
14-137-471-V80.jpg

I would more likely be looking for a larger display(>=32") that runs @ 144 or 165Hz, maybe an ultra-wide 21:9 ratio. but considering you plan on using two of them together, regular 16:9 >=25" has always been fine for desktop use.

Last edited:

FluffyButtonsXD

Reputable
Jan 1, 2020
link to 240Hz Free-Sync 1080p Displays

Free-Sync is the version of Adaptive-Sync your AMD card uses so you should be including that in your search for sure. If you're gaming then you need both of the monitors to run from your GPU's Display Ports, not the motherboard I/O panel. The 5700X should have 3x Display Port and 1x HDMI.
14-137-471-V80.jpg

I would more likely be looking for a larger display(>=32") that runs @ 144 or 165Hz, maybe an ultra-wide 21:9 ratio. but considering you plan on using two of them together, regular 16:9 >=25" has always been fine for desktop use.
Im use to a 24” and i have a 144hz but im all about frames tho, i mean could i do one 240hz and the second 165hz or would that be dumb? Bcz the hdmi on the gpu is hdmi 2.0

Im use to a 24” and i have a 144hz but im all about frames tho, i mean could i do one 240hz and the second 165hz or would that be dumb? Bcz the hdmi on the gpu is hdmi 2.0
you have to set your refresh rate in AMD Catalyst or in Windows Display Settings so both displays would be running at the lower 165Hz while gaming. would defeat the purpose of having the 240Hz monitor. if running dual monitors at the highest possible refresh rate for gaming they would both need to be 240Hz.

if using HDMI 2.0 you would have to verify if any individual monitor could actually run over 60Hz through that, some still do not support it. but why would you want to run anything through HDMI when your GPU has multiple Display Ports that support much higher refresh rates at higher resolutions?

FluffyButtonsXD

Reputable
Jan 1, 2020
you have to set your refresh rate in AMD Catalyst or in Windows Display Settings so both displays would be running at the lower 165Hz while gaming. would defeat the purpose of having the 240Hz monitor. if running dual monitors at the highest possible refresh rate for gaming they would both need to be 240Hz.

if using HDMI 2.0 you would have to verify if any individual monitor could actually run over 60Hz through that, some still do not support it. but why would you want to run anything through HDMI when your GPU has multiple Display Ports that support much higher refresh rates at higher resolutions?
I was told hdmi was better than everything else thats all and i agree

like I stated earlier, running a larger monitor @ 144 or 165Hz is what I would be looking for. only because there are not any large display(>=32") 240Hz displays that I have ever seen.
for anything <=27" you might as well go for the 240Hz since you are claiming you want to get as many fps as possible and are not concerned with a higher resolution(2K or 4K).

with DisplayPort or HDMI they are always backwards compatible. using the same cable interface but with enhanced capabilities as the revision numbers climb.
DisplayPort can push higher bandwidth than HDMI, no matter what the revision numbers are. so DisplayPort is always a better option for gaming.

you should really research all of these topics(refresh rates, port capabilities, resolution, screen types, etc) since you seem so concerned about what the options will be with your new display choices.

TRENDING THREADS