I need help with my $1300 build

Sep 14, 2018
This is my first build, I already have a list of parts, I just need help figuring out if they all work together. (All of the parts were found on Amazon)

Mobo: ASUS Prime Z390-P LGA1151
CPU: Intel Core i5-9600K
GPU: EVGA Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 6GB SSC
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2x8GB) 2666 MHz
Cooling: DeepCool NEPTWIN 6 heat pipes white version
PSU: EVGA 500 W1 80+
Case: NZXT H700i White/Black
Storage: WD blue 3D NAND 250GB SSD + WD blue 1TB SATA 7200 RPM
Extra: NZXT AER 140mm x2

Solution

Yes a...
Yes, they'll work. All parts are compatible. I have some suggestions though. If you can spend a little bit more, you should get a better PSU. That EVGA model isn't too good. Also since you are getting a CPU & a motherboard that allow overclocking and if you do want to overclock your system I think it's worth getting faster RAM (provided that you can afford it). It doesn't worth spending that much money and getting overclockable parts and then choosing a RAM kit that (likely) can't be overclocked. Finally (again if you can afford it) it's worth getting an M2 NVMe SSD. It's faster and SSD prices have fallen a lot, so the price difference should be small. Good luck.

Sep 14, 2018

Thank you, what wattage would you recommend, like 650?

tejayd

Prominent
Mar 11, 2018
You don't need more watts. Just a step up in psu quality. Without looking at it, I'm fairly sure the w1 is designed for basic desktops. Something like the seasonic focus gold recommendation. Or a mid range evga or corsair are probably the other more common psus. Idk the models off the top if my head. Pretty sure the evga is the w3 and maybe w2. Usually you'll find them in the $55-75 range.

Edit: the evga arnt called w2/w3.
This looks like one of the better deals at a quick look. https://m.newegg.com/products/N82E16817151203?ignorebbr=1&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-PCPartPicker%2c+LLC-_-na-_-na-_-na&AID=10446076&PID=3938566

Yes a 550-650W PSU should be more than enough for your system. However it's not just the wattage that matters but also the quality of the PSU, which is the most important purchasing factor. Your choice was bad because that PSU wasn't designed for a gaming PC. You should get a good 80+ gold unit and if you can't afford one, get at least an 80+ bronze PSU. Two good and affordable 80+ bronze PSU choices are the Corsair CX550M and the CX650M. If you want to get a good 80+ gold unit the Seasonic Focus line (550-650W) is good and it doesn't cost much. As a general rule any 550-650W bronze/gold PSU from EVGA, Seasonic or Corsair should do the job. Good luck.

Solution
If this is intended for gaming, at what resolution and refresh rate? For a $1300 build, I would look into spending a little more on the graphics card to get something faster, like a 1070 or 1070 Ti, even if it's for gaming at 1080p. The 1060 6GB is a nearly 2 1/2 year old mid-range card at this point, and we will undoubtedly see more games requiring settings to be lowered a bit to maintain 60+fps in many of the more demanding titles coming out over the next couple years.

Also, I would spend a little bit more to move up to a 500GB SSD if you intend to install some games on there. And if you think you could use more bulk storage as well, it also shouldn't cost much more to optionally move up to a 2TB hard drive.

If you are willing to extend your shopping beyond Amazon, it might be worth plugging your build into PCPartPicker and seeing whether you can save money by buying certain components elsewhere...

https://pcpartpicker.com