I need help with my Dell Dimension 4100

Hello. This is the problem that I am having:

I installed Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Edition on my Dell
Dimension 4100 (I probably shouldnt have done that). And I would
like to get rid of this operating system and return to using Windows
XP. But when I load the Windows XP CD into the CD Drive it does not
allow me to install it. I tried to reboot and access the BIOS so I
can tell it to read whats in the CD Drive first but I cannot access
the BIOS, I do not see anything like "press F2 for setup" or anything
like that when I turn on or restart the computer. Can anyone help
me? Thank you.

==============

JJ

Actually you are correct about Server 2003. It is a business platform and
not a gaming platform. You will find some programs that will not run
properly and driver support is limited for many items such as some video
cards. To enter the BIOS hold down the del key at bootup. Usually it is when
you see the Dell logo. Also if you have 2 CD drives be sure that the XP CD
is in the master drive or it may not be recognized.

Regards,
John O.

"Rhinoceros82" <rhinoceros82@hotmail-dot-com.no-spam.invalid> wrote in
message news:40b42535$1_3@news.athenanews.com...
> Hello. This is the problem that I am having:
>
> I installed Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Edition on my Dell
> Dimension 4100 (I probably shouldnt have done that). And I would
> like to get rid of this operating system and return to using Windows
> XP. But when I load the Windows XP CD into the CD Drive it does not
> allow me to install it. I tried to reboot and access the BIOS so I
> can tell it to read whats in the CD Drive first but I cannot access
> the BIOS, I do not see anything like "press F2 for setup" or anything
> like that when I turn on or restart the computer. Can anyone help
> me? Thank you.
>
> ==============
troubleshooting newsgroups.

Press the DEL key right after turn on.

"Rhinoceros82" <rhinoceros82@hotmail-dot-com.no-spam.invalid> wrote in
message news:40b42535$1_3@news.athenanews.com...
> Hello. This is the problem that I am having:
>
> I installed Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Edition on my Dell
> Dimension 4100 (I probably shouldnt have done that). And I would
> like to get rid of this operating system and return to using Windows
> XP. But when I load the Windows XP CD into the CD Drive it does not
> allow me to install it. I tried to reboot and access the BIOS so I
> can tell it to read whats in the CD Drive first but I cannot access
> the BIOS, I do not see anything like "press F2 for setup" or anything
> like that when I turn on or restart the computer. Can anyone help
> me? Thank you.
>
> ==============
troubleshooting newsgroups.

Thanks for showing me how to get to the BIOS screen, however, I cant
seem to get my computer to boot from the cd rom drive at start up. I
went to the "Boot" tab and selected "ATAPI CD ROM" as the 1st boot
device and when I restart the computer it says something like "no
recognizable boot disk in drive A." Why would it say that when the
cd rom drive is the D drive. If anyone can help it would be greatly
appreciated. In the meantime I am going to call Dell. I hope they
are still willing to show me how to fix this even though the computer
was purchased about 5-6 years ago.

==============

JJ

Per chance is this a Dell XP CD? For some reason the older Dell systems do
not recognize the Dell XP disc as bootable. But if you put a retail version
of the CD in the drive, it boots just fine. I have a feeling it has to do
with the boot file on the disc.

message news:40b530aa$1_7@news.athenanews.com...
> Thanks for showing me how to get to the BIOS screen, however, I cant
> seem to get my computer to boot from the cd rom drive at start up. I
> went to the "Boot" tab and selected "ATAPI CD ROM" as the 1st boot
> device and when I restart the computer it says something like "no
> recognizable boot disk in drive A." Why would it say that when the
> cd rom drive is the D drive. If anyone can help it would be greatly
> appreciated. In the meantime I am going to call Dell. I hope they
> are still willing to show me how to fix this even though the computer
> was purchased about 5-6 years ago.
>
> ==============
troubleshooting newsgroups.

D0oes the CDROM work when you are booted up in Win2003?

"Rhinoceros82" <rhinoceros82@hotmail-dot-com.no-spam.invalid> wrote in
message news:40b530aa$1_7@news.athenanews.com...
> Thanks for showing me how to get to the BIOS screen, however, I cant
> seem to get my computer to boot from the cd rom drive at start up. I
> went to the "Boot" tab and selected "ATAPI CD ROM" as the 1st boot
> device and when I restart the computer it says something like "no
> recognizable boot disk in drive A." Why would it say that when the
> cd rom drive is the D drive. If anyone can help it would be greatly
> appreciated. In the meantime I am going to call Dell. I hope they
> are still willing to show me how to fix this even though the computer
> was purchased about 5-6 years ago.
>
> ==============
troubleshooting newsgroups.

"Rhinoceros82" <rhinoceros82@hotmail-dot-com.no-spam.invalid> wrote in
message news:40b42535$1_3@news.athenanews.com...
| Hello. This is the problem that I am having:
|
| I installed Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Edition on my Dell
| Dimension 4100 (I probably shouldnt have done that). And I would
| like to get rid of this operating system and return to using Windows
| XP. But when I load the Windows XP CD into the CD Drive it does not
| allow me to install it. I tried to reboot and access the BIOS so I
| can tell it to read whats in the CD Drive first but I cannot access
| the BIOS, I do not see anything like "press F2 for setup" or anything
| like that when I turn on or restart the computer. Can anyone help
| me? Thank you.
|
| ==============
| Posted through www.HowToFixComputers.com/bb - free access to hardware
troubleshooting newsgroups.

If you cannot boot from the CD you can download and create a 6 disk
boot/setup floppy set from Microsoft that should allow you to begin the XP
setup process booting from the A:\ drive.

;Q310994]http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];Q310994

I'm not an MVP a VIP nor do I have ESP.
I was just trying to help.
advice herein.