Question I need help with my first PC Build

Apr 6, 2021
Hi, I'm new to PC building and I'm having a rough time of it. I'm upgrading an existing custom built Pc I bought from a friend.

Currently my PC has the Asus Hero maxium VII Hero, 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 Ram 1600mhz . i7 4790k and GTX 980TI Extreme.

I ordered the new Asus Strix z490-E motherboard, 16GB(2x8GB) DDR4 3600mhz Ram and intel i7 10700k cpu. I planned on upgrading other components later on.

My issue is when I put together the the new motherboard, Ram and CPU I could not get my system to boot. First I got an A2 Q code but afterwards managed to get into the BIOS with a CPU Fan error alert and I could not boot into windows. In the Bios the system was definitely recognizing the harddrives so I am unsure on what the issue is?

My housemate tested the motherboard in his computer and he managed to get into windows but had some issue getting his Radeon R7 Graphics to work with it. (Not sure if AMD is compatible with this motherboard)

What should I do?

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

If you didn't reinstall the OS, that's the first thing you do when you swap the old motherboard out for a new one. Fabricate your bootable USB installer using Windows Media Creation Tools and then set the primary boot device to your bootable USB installer in BIOS.

What version of BIOS are you on for that motherboard? Make and model of the PSU and it's age? Aftermarket cooler for the new platform? Seems like those last two were recycled alongside the storage drives and the GPU.

Apr 6, 2021
PSU - Corsair CS650M - 4 Years Old
CPU Cooler - Corsair H80I GT

Currently I've put back together my computer to the old motherboard and it's working fine with no issues.

@Lutfij The SSD installed on the PC has windows already installed would I still need to follow the steps you mentioned?

TRENDING THREADS