Question I need help with my i7 overclocking

Rodian_1

Honorable
Mar 7, 2013
Hi,

I'm trying to overclock my i7 3770k. My bios shows 4.6 ghz but when I go into windows and try to stress test cpuz only shows at 4.4 ghz, I have no clue what I'm doing wrong (photos of screen below). I did some research and checked the windows power options and made sure it was in balanced mode. I have only overclocked once before, my i5 3570k and looking back, the same thing happened there. Stuck on 4.4 in cpuz but not in bios.

I'm dubious about updating my bios because I've heard horror stories of it bricking the mobo. I daily upload to YouTube so cant have a PC that doesn't work.

Any help would be very much appreciated as I don't really know what I'm doing even after reading a bunch of articles about OC'ing I cant find an answer to my problem.

P.s. I know my system is old but I cant justify any upgrades at the moment. Just made a small upgrade from i5 3570k to i7 3770k (in case that makes any difference).

Thanks.

Case: Fractal Design Define r4
Psu: Corsair builders series 600w v2
CPU: i7 3770k
Motherboard: Asus p8z77-v pro
Ram: Corsair vengance 8gb
Gpu: Gigabyte gtx 980ti
Hard drives: Western digital caviar black 1tb (Games), WD Blue 2Tb (Photo storage), WD Blue 4 Tb x2 Raid 1 (Video Storage), Samsung 840 256GB ssd (os + Adobe suite)
Screen: Asus VE247
Optical drive: asus drw-24b5stx24
Additional case fans: Fractal design silent series r2 x2
cpu cooler: 212 evo

Rodian_1

Honorable
Mar 7, 2013
Whay version of prime 95 are you using? It could be an issue with avx offset.

I suggest not overclocking untill you fully understand what each setting change does and what parameters you have to stay within for the safety of your system.
From what i can see its V 29.3, Build 1. I think ill leave it at 4.4 until I have read up more about how it works because i have no clue what an AVX offset is.