I need help with my Toshiba Satellite A200 TH7

Status
Not open for further replies.

TBurn7442

Commendable
Nov 11, 2016
My laptop, has a issue... The second hard drive/disk is non-functional, and it won't boot. Can I run my laptop if I take the hard drive out? Or do I have to actually replace it?

All answers may be helpful...

Solution
You should only remove the disk if it isn't the one with the system on it. That protects any data on that disk which you want to keep in a safe place. After doing that, if the system fails to boot, it should present you with some repair options.

Which version of Windows was it running?
You should only remove the disk if it isn't the one with the system on it. That protects any data on that disk which you want to keep in a safe place. After doing that, if the system fails to boot, it should present you with some repair options.

Which version of Windows was it running?

Solution

TBurn7442

Commendable
Nov 11, 2016

it was preinstalled with windows vista ultimate, but a friend got it upgraded to windows 7 the first time it broke... but the second time he got it to WIndows 10, it worked for a few days until it broke again. and I do not know how to remove the HDD, but I do know the HDD type is a Fujitsu MHX2250BT-(S1), Hard Disk 2. the error message is:

SMART Failure Predicted On Hard Disk 2: FUJITSU MHX2250BT-(S1)

WARNING: Immediately back-up your data and replace your hard disk drive. A failure may be imminent.

Press F1 to Continue.

You do need to remove that disk. Start by turning the laptop upside down and rest it on some cloth to prevent harming the screen. In what is now the lower right hand corner, you will see a hatch about 3" by 1½" held down by two screws to your right.

Undo those screws and remove the hatch. Below it is your hard disk and there may be more screws securing it. Remove those and gently ease the drive out of its position.

Buy a caddy or at least the cable needed to connect it to another machine and start by running Checkdisk in a command form. Use the syntax
chkdsk x: /r
where x is the drive letter given to your disk. Hit enter and let it run. The /r switch might be able fix any disk errors it finds. When it's finished, copy all your personal files into the PC you're working on.

You might wish to buy another disk for that laptop but in a time when manufacturers don't expect a laptop to last more than four years, spending money on a machine mmade to run Vista in 2006 may not be econimically viable.

Status
Not open for further replies.