I need help with network names.

Sep 21, 2018
I know how some router control panels tell you what brand of device is connected just from the mac address or some other additional information. Is there a way to fool the router and tell it you're an Xbox or Apple phone?
My computer currently shows up as Netgear as I have a Netgear wireless adapter. Got any ideas?
P.S. I am on windows 7 and I wonder if switching to windows 10 would be a solution considering mac address options are blocked on windows 7.

Solution
Your router is obviously using the MAC address of the adapter. Your Netgear wireless adapter. To change what the router displays, you will have to check the user's manual to see if you can change it on the router (the better answer). You may be able to change the MAC address on the wireless adapter to the brand of device you have.

kanewolf

Titan
Your router is obviously using the MAC address of the adapter. Your Netgear wireless adapter. To change what the router displays, you will have to check the user's manual to see if you can change it on the router (the better answer). You may be able to change the MAC address on the wireless adapter to the brand of device you have.

Solution