Question I need help with overclocking.

kozato

Commendable
May 19, 2017
Pretty simple really. I have an i5 9600k running in a gigabyte z370 XP SLI motherboard, and the cpu is being cooled by a custom loop with a 360mm and 240mm radiator (graphics card is in that loop as well, so not too overkill). I understand two things with overclocking; changing the core ratio and core voltage, but those are the only things i understand to change. I'm trying to hit 5GHz, and while it's currently running without crashes at that mark, I've put 1.35v on it. The problem is even with that, not all cores actually go under load. some instantly instantly go from 100% load to 0-2% after stress testing for a few seconds. the longer the stress test, the more cores begin to drop off until only 2-3 are actually being worked. I'm presuming this is because there isn't enough power being supplied? I've gone as high as 1.38v with absolutely no change in behavior. I feel like going higher would be risky and doubt it would even help. How do I get this stable to run all cores?

Quick note that bringing the clock speed down as little as 4.9Ghz lets all cores go under load and the CPU pulls power like it should, but I really want to push this thing further.

Lutfij

Titan
List your specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

So we know you've got the other hardware capable enough to get you to that target(outside of cooling). make sure you're on the latest BIOS update for your motherboard prior to attempting any overclocks.

kozato

Commendable
May 19, 2017
List your specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

So we know you've got the other hardware capable enough to get you to that target(outside of cooling). make sure you're on the latest BIOS update for your motherboard prior to attempting any overclocks.

Here you go:

CPU: intel core i5 9600k
Motherboard: gigabyte z370xp sli
RAM: 16gb (2 x 8) G skill trident Z RGB @ 3200MHz
Storage: 2 x sandisk 240GB SSD plus
GPU: Gtx 1080 gigabyte windforce OC
PSU: Corsair rm850x gold
Lian-Li 011 Dynamic case
Windows 10 64 bit
Edit: motherboard has the latest BIOS installed.

TRENDING THREADS