[SOLVED] I need help with PSU cables

Apr 21, 2021
Hi guys, first time poster here. I am in need of some assistance figuring out which cable I need to buy to connect a second GTX 960 to my daughter's computer. I've emailed corsair months ago but have not heard back since.

I have a HX1050 PSU and the GPU down bellow. The first GTX960 is hooked up to the PC and runs inside the PSU so it is not using the external connectors for me to just grab a wire and compare it.

I am also having a hard time understanding the Corsair diagram bellow which shows I have a type 3 and type 4 PCI-E. Is it referring the the ones running directly into the PSU or the external 6+2 PCI-E & 4+4 CPU, which is what I assume i'd plug in to if I can figure out which cable I need.

So my question is, what cable would connect the external pins of the PSU with the pins to the GPU?

Thank you,
Mike

My PSU - https://www.overclockersclub.com/siteimages/articles/corsair_hx1050/013.jpg

My GPU - https://www.guru3d.com/index.php?ct...dmin=0a8fcaad6b03da6a6895d1ada2e171002a287bc1

Corsair's reference chart - https://help.corsair.com/hc/article_attachments/360057223671/PSU_cable_2.jpg

Solution
I am also having a hard time understanding the Corsair diagram bellow which shows I have a type 3 and type 4 PCI-E.

For the PCIe cables, type 3 and Type 4 are the same.

If you look at the page that diagram came from, it says: "The only difference between Type 3 and Type 4 cables is the pinout of the 24-pin ATX cable; all other cables (SATA, PCIe, etc) are the same."

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/psu-cable-compatibility

Adam0ne

Proper
Feb 9, 2021
You should be using the 6+2 PCIE. Some cards have 8 pins on each plug. In you case you need 2 PCIE cables. The 6+2 PCIE is basically an 8 pin with two heads. Use the 6 pin head. You cant go wrong because there are specific shapes to the plug. The cable should indicate which end is for the PSU and the other for the GPU. Your PSU should have a label where you can plug the PCIE - the BLUE sockets.

Note that the cable should be included with your PSU. If you need to purchase, you can purchase the 6+2 PCIE or 6 PCIE. Stick with the corsair brand, if you can. You can find it in Amazon- it's more convenient.

Last edited:
I am also having a hard time understanding the Corsair diagram bellow which shows I have a type 3 and type 4 PCI-E.

For the PCIe cables, type 3 and Type 4 are the same.

If you look at the page that diagram came from, it says: "The only difference between Type 3 and Type 4 cables is the pinout of the 24-pin ATX cable; all other cables (SATA, PCIe, etc) are the same."

Solution
Apr 21, 2021
You should be using the 6+2 PCIE. Some cards have 8 pins on each plug. In you case you need 2 PCIE cables. The 6+2 PCIE is basically an 8 pin with two heads. Use the 6 pin head. You cant go wrong because there are specific shapes to the plug. The cable should indicate which end is for the PSU and the other for the GPU. Your PSU should have a label where you can plug the PCIE - the BLUE sockets.

Note that the cable should be included with your PSU. If you need to purchase, you can purchase the 6+2 PCIE or 6 PCIE. Stick with the corsair brand, if you can. You can find it in Amazon- it's more convenient.

My issue is it was a pre-built PC and I didn't get cables. I see some similar cables for corsair but they dont include the HX1050 PSU on thier list of compatible, I also cant seem to find them for the life of me on amazon.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/294056607637?hash=item447723bf95:g:lFEAAOSwvIpfeKnO

Would something like this fit despite not saying for my PSU?

Apr 21, 2021
Can you please tell, why does your daughter need 2 graphics cards?
Is she doing cryptomining? Or does she need to connect 6 monitors to her pc?
Other than this, there is no other use for multiple graphics cards.

I received 2 of them for free from a friend. I figured I might as well get the second one connected for her, many games that she plays are SLI supported and she has a 4k monitor connected. While I'm here using a 1080ti with a 1440p monitor.

Apr 21, 2021
Would you look at the very table you linked to in your first post? What does it say? It says that HX Gold's PCIe is the same as AX, AXi, TX, HX, HXi, SF, etc.

Also, the seller DOES have HX in his list. The listing literally says "for Corsair TXM,HX,AXI,RM,SF,CM" (CM?!?! I think they meant CX-M)

I saw that, but the list then goes to skip my PSU. I am not the most tech savvy person, so I just wanted to double check.

"CORSAIR HX750I HX850I HX1000I HX1200I AXi AX860i AX1200i Series "

I saw that, but the list then goes to skip my PSU. I am not the most tech savvy person, so I just wanted to double check.

"CORSAIR HX750I HX850I HX1000I HX1200I AXi AX860i AX1200i Series "

From the eBay listing:

"Compatibility: IT WORKs for ALL CORSAIR TYPE 3, TYPE 4 POWER SUPLLY MODEL

HX1050/HX850/HX750 TX850M/TX750M/TX650M & Also CX430M/CX500M/CX600M/CX750M"

Adam0ne

Proper
Feb 9, 2021
Johnnyguru is right. Both types are in the list on compatibility list in the corsair site for your psu.

I highly recommend that you use identical cables for both GPUs. Also, please keep in mind the length of cable you're getting. You may want to measure it based on how you're going to lay it out in the pc case.

Apr 21, 2021
Johnnyguru is right. Both types are in the list on compatibility list in the corsair site for your psu.

I highly recommend that you use identical cables for both GPUs. Also, please keep in mind the length of cable you're getting. You may want to measure it based on how you're going to lay it out in the pc case.

yeah seems like a match, that being said one cable runs straight into the GPU and one will have to be an external source. For some reason Corsair is out of all and any possible cables available, this corsair (i assume OEM) cable seems like the only option. That being said, given its just a power source and not a data transfer cable. How much does length and material makeup matter? Never gave it much though

Adam0ne

Proper
Feb 9, 2021
I don't want to complicate this. But it was more of a question if the length was enough to connect to psu and GPU. depends on the size of your pc case. PSU cables come in different lengths. I purchased longer corsair PCIE cables a few months ago. the standard cables included with my PSU fell short by an inch or so. Lol. But you can buy other brands too. Its a matter of preference by then. There are good cable also sold in amazon. Ranges from good, fairly priced and higher priced tier brands. Cablemod cables would be good choice too. For whatever brand you go for, message the seller for compatibility to be sure.

yeah seems like a match, that being said one cable runs straight into the GPU and one will have to be an external source.

This statement doesn't make sense. The card gets power from the PSU. Period. There's no "internal and external power source". Or is there? What are you trying to say?

That being said, given its just a power source and not a data transfer cable. How much does length and material makeup matter? Never gave it much though

The longer the cable, the more the resistance. That said, standard length is 550 to 650mm, so I'm not sure why you're asking.