[SOLVED] I need help with ryzen 5 3600 compatibility with b350 motherboard

May 22, 2020
So basically, I have a ryzen 3 1200 that I want to replace with a Ryzen 5 3600. I updated my bios to the most recent one and switched the cpus but after I start the computer, it doesnt want to boot. The problem is in the cpu or the compatibility because when I put back my ryzen 3 1200, it works perfectly. Also theres the VGA ez debug light on when the ryzen 5 3600 is on. Please help :(.

Solution
Kind of odd, the BIOS entries don't list any new CPU lines and there's only one update spanning Jan to Dec of last year. If you look at the description of the board it indicates 1st/2nd gen support. I can only assume the 3000 series erroneously made it onto the compatibility list.

What's your reasoning for this, especially when the OP already indicated it boots with the 1200?
It really should work with the 3000 processor because the AGESA version in it, 1004b, was 'made' for it. B350 was originally never going to work with Ryzen 3000 so AMD opened the AGESA to it was kind of last minute and it was put out as a 'beta'. So if it wouldn't work with something it should be the older CPU's since, being BETA, it was probably not...
May 22, 2020
Ohhh no I didn't meant it that way. I meant the one corresponding to my motherboard. Sorry :c . So I downloaded the one you mentioned first and it didn't quite boot up. So I searched more and I saw that there was another link with another bios which is the link I sent. So it still didn't work. I was going to try to reset the bios and reinstall the most recent bios.

jJGtViE.png

That is odd....
In cpu support list >>>> https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/B350M-BAZOOKA#support-cpu
It suggest's

7A38v1L.zip

DMAN999

Dignified
Ambassador
Personally I would clear the CMOS using the JBAT1 jumper shown on page 34 of your Manual:
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/B350M-BAZOOKA#down-manual
That will ensure that there aren't any settings left over from the previous BIOS version.

Then flash this version:
Version - 7A38v1LP(Beta version)
Release Date - 2019-12-03
File Size - 9.34 MB
Description
  • Update AMD ComboPI1.0.0.4 Patch B (SMU v46.54)
  • Improved OC memory compatibility.
  • Improved system boot up time
  • Improved PCI-E device compatibility.
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/B350M-BAZOOKA#down-bios

Reactions: drea.drechsler
Once you've updated to the Ryzen 3000 BIOS it may or may not boot up and function with your Ryzen 1000 processor. So don't do this before you have the new processor 'in hand'.

And it's a very good idea to reset CMOS...I do a reset BEFORE I do the BIOS update and a reset AFTER the BIOS update just to be sure.

May 22, 2020
So I reseted the Bios using a screwdriver to link the JBAT pins before updating the Bios and then I updated the Bios and my computer booted up perfectly with the old cpu. Now I reseted the bios with the screwdriver again and put the new cpu, still nothing appears on my screen. I noticed something fairly odd though. When I turned on the machine, the graphic card's fan started and then stopped, then the VGA EZ debug led lighted and then the fan restarted and the light went away and eventually came back while the fans is still going.

May 22, 2020
Once you've updated to the Ryzen 3000 BIOS it may or may not boot up and function with your Ryzen 1000 processor. So don't do this before you have the new processor 'in hand'.

And it's a very good idea to reset CMOS...I do a reset BEFORE I do the BIOS update and a reset AFTER the BIOS update just to be sure.
It still boots normaly though with the old cpu

beers

Distinguished
BANNED
Oct 4, 2012
Kind of odd, the BIOS entries don't list any new CPU lines and there's only one update spanning Jan to Dec of last year. If you look at the description of the board it indicates 1st/2nd gen support. I can only assume the 3000 series erroneously made it onto the compatibility list.
Once you've updated to the Ryzen 3000 BIOS it may or may not boot up and function with your Ryzen 1000 processor.
What's your reasoning for this, especially when the OP already indicated it boots with the 1200?

It really should work with the 3000 processor because the AGESA version in it, 1004b, was 'made' for it. B350 was originally never going to work with Ryzen 3000 so AMD opened the AGESA to it was kind of last minute and it was put out as a 'beta'. So if it wouldn't work with something it should be the older CPU's since, being BETA, it was probably not well regression tested.

And lastly, I have no real idea what OP did to prove out it works with it. It could boot, then once he starts making changes to settings it cold bricks on him or is otherwise unstable. It's BETA, after all and it's quite apparent something about it is not very reliable since it doesn't work with his 3600.

And what's odder still is that I've seen others have their BETA BIOS working on other MSI B350 boards with their Ryzen 3000 processors (although not Bazooka's, to be fair).

Last edited:
Reactions: DMAN999
Solution
May 22, 2020
It really should work with the 3000 processor because the AGESA version in it, 1004b, was 'made' for it. B350 was originally never going to work with Ryzen 3000 so AMD opened the AGESA to it was kind of last minute and it was put out as a 'beta'. So if it wouldn't work with something it should be the older CPU's since, being BETA, it was probably not well regression tested.

And lastly, I have no real idea what OP did to prove out it works with it. It could boot, then once he starts making changes to settings it cold bricks on him or is otherwise unstable. It's BETA, after all and it's quite apparent something about it is not very reliable since it doesn't work with his 3600.

And what's odder still is that I've seen others have their BETA BIOS working on other MSI B350 boards with their Ryzen 3000 processors (although not Bazooka's, to be fair).
Yeah i figured the same conclusion, it was either the part itself(which is pretty unlikely) or from my end with the beta bios. I settled to return it and order a 2600. Thank you all for you help :) I posted the same issue in different forums but you 're the only one that actually cared and kept answering <3

Reactions: DMAN999